Poll

Would you be interested in being in a SWLS book club?

Yes
6 (50%)
No
2 (16.7%)
Maybe
0 (0%)
Depends on the book
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: September 26, 2007, 06:48:45 PM

Author Topic: SWLS Book Club  (Read 9913 times)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: SWLS Book Club
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »
Oh man!  I remember wanting to be like Abe Lincoln and read the bible 3 times by the time I was 10 but I could only get through the first few chapters in Genesis.  Good luck!  I'm personally itching to read Carrie...I might just have to get that one!

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2007, 11:43:30 AM »
I'd like to read Carrie - you know, I've never read a Stephen King novel.  Don't know why - just haven't.  As far as the Bible thing goes, I'm reading Eugene Peterson's The Message - I adore it.  Walter Wangerin also wrote a fantastic novel version of the Bible called The Book of God.  But Peterson's is like reading the Bible - but no verse markings and full page layout so it reads more like prose.  It's beautiful.

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2007, 11:47:36 AM »
I WANT TO JOIN THIS!!!   

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 03:42:59 PM »
Sounds good NIkarro!  I haven't read any of our books in a while...oops... I still want to get carrie. 

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 09:53:39 PM »
Bumpity bump

I just finished Wrinkle and it was fantastic.  The description of time travel is simply elegant.

I'm up for Carrie - never read any King.  Wanna read it with me Ed?  Ashley?  Amy?  Anyone?  :D

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 12:03:08 AM »
Sounds good NIkarro!  I haven't read any of our books in a while...oops... I still want to get carrie. 
Bumpity bump

I just finished Wrinkle and it was fantastic.  The description of time travel is simply elegant.

I'm up for Carrie - never read any King.  Wanna read it with me Ed?  Ashley?  Amy?  Anyone?  :D

I've got Carrie checked out right now.  If you want it, Ashley, you're more than welcome to it.  I have no time for reading, and if I do, I fall right asleep.  I will, however, watch the movie again and maybe we can discuss differences and similarities there and then with LOST.  Did that even make any sense???  Sorry, I'm tired.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »
I'll check it out this weekend.

Get some rest, Amy dear.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »
Ok.  so i read carrie.  i liked it!  captivating story... only took three days or so to get through.  i couldn't really come up with any 'oh my god this explains lost' moments, but i could see why this book was used for juliet's book club.  Carrie is a girl who lives her life in the shadow of her overbearing mother, much like how juliet's life is impacted by her ex-husband.  both seem to be somewhat of social outcasts....not really confirmed with juliet, but i assume because she is so into her work it seems like she has little time for friends.  i think what juliet finds so fascinating about this book is the way that carrie overcomes her mother, and the people who have cast her down so often, and eventually came into herself...took power over her own life.  of course, i don't see juliet going on a rampage and destroying an entire town...but i think at times she may have wanted a release such as that. 
there are also some names that come up...annie, amelia, henry grayle..........tommy ;)  There were also the special powers in carrie- some similar to those walt had.  we find out that in a time of great emotional stress, carrie one telekinetically summoned rocks and huge ice chunks to rain down upon her house.  sort of reminded me of walt and his birds.  what was interesting about Carrie was the way the book went on to scientifically explain where carrie's powers came from.  i guess there is a gene that causes TK, one that was passed down to carrie from both her mother and father.  in her parents case, the gene lay dormant, but carrie's grandmother was known to light candles without moving, and to rock chairs from across the room. 
there was also a strong use of religion in the book.  though i think it was to represent the fanatical side of carries mother more that it was to represent something...like lost does it. 
anyway...good book!