Author Topic: Can the Others "see" into the future?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Can the Others "see" into the future?
« on: February 08, 2007, 01:40:22 PM »
How did they know that Edmund Burke would step into the street at that exact moment? I'm assuming that one of them was driving the bus and it's not like he was pushed or the bus jumped the curb to get to him.

So either they "saw" or predicted the future, Juliet willed it to happen or it was just some huge coincidence.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:56:42 PM by nothingbutsky »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Can the Others "see" into the future?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 01:49:14 PM »
He was actually in the street for a few seconds, standing there talking to Juliette. YOu can see the bus waiting in the background.

mindsparkle

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 01:54:04 PM »
Maybe Edmond was a very predictable man and that was his route to his car every afternoon after work... the bus just had to sit and wait for him... phantom bus disappears... Edmond gone

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 02:05:26 PM »
It was his destiny ;)  Destiny and fate were huge underlying topics last night I thought.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 03:40:57 PM »
Edmund getting hit by a bus: Coincidence or "tragic accident"?

I'm not really sure, if they wanted Juliet that bad I'm sure they would have done anything to get her ex-hubby out of the way. What seemed curious to me was how Juliet brought up the conversation she had with Dr. Alpert and how he denied having heard/said anything about the bus incident, especially since he flat out said we're sorry for the "tragic accident". But boy did they jump on her quickly, I mean she's there signing the papers at the morgue and it seems almost timely how they showed up right then and there to tell her that they were still interested in having her work for them, and oh yeah, btw, it's not in Portland... Set-up? I still don't know... But I definitely don't think that the others can 'see' into the future... They might be able to influence certain events, but I don't think any of it is really contrived, but they do seem to have amazing resources given how easily they are able to find detailed information on each of our characters...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:12:17 PM by uofapiglet »

Offline Kimbagrl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 05:37:51 PM »
Guys, don't forget that they took Walt and said he's a very special boy.

mindsparkle

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 05:39:05 PM »
Likewise, maybe Juliet is "special" and she willed her ex to step in front of that bus not the others... and maybe she willed her sister to get pregnant... just speculating...

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 05:53:18 PM »
This isn't heroes ppl!

Offline Socrates

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »
We already know Desmond can see the future.  Sets a precident at least.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 06:39:19 PM »
Obviously they killed him. Then they said "Don't blame yourself." There is no doubt in my mind that these people killed Juliet's ex.

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 02:22:45 AM »
I see where you're going, nothingbutsky.  To me, the bus is going WAY too fast to have waited for him to walk into the street.  It's a bus!  It takes time to gain speed!

But, I think that they were waiting for him, and it wasn't much more than that.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 10:11:16 AM »
Some things are so simple and obvious and we just over analyze it. They wanted Juliette, she said her ex husband was standing in her way so they kill him. Now the got the woman who is at the cutting edge of ferlization.

Believe what you see! They killed him with a bus.

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 10:35:27 AM »
Some things are so simple and obvious and we just over analyze it. They wanted Juliette, she said her ex husband was standing in her way so they kill him. Now the got the woman who is at the cutting edge of ferlization.

I agree with Juggy most of the time the obvious answers are the correct ones.

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 11:48:24 AM »

I know this is probably the answer, but it's just always been my nature to (over) analyze things.

I was the kind of kid that never liked Superman because I couldn't justify his ability to fly. Super strength...from different gravity of his home planet, bulletproof...very dense skin, heatvision...red sun in his solarsystem. All far fetched but at least there are explanations. He can fly...just because? And don't give he this "he's just jumping really far" like my wife thinks. Not good enough for this kid!

Anyway, thats why Lost often gives me a headache, but I love it!

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 01:15:24 PM »
LOL! Sometimes I get called out on my overanalysis too n-sky, but loved the superman-flying analogy...

Anyway... Like I said, Burke = dead and Juliet = in not-so-Portland...

that's about it really, I just thought it was interesting that Alpert denied ever talking about the whole "if my husband got hit by a bus" scenario...