Poll

How is Desmond able to know about Locke's speech?

He can predict the future
9 (37.5%)
The island sent him a message
7 (29.2%)
He traveled into the future
6 (25%)
He had a lucky guess
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: How is Desmond able to know about Locke's speech?  (Read 5117 times)

Offline bhn

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
How is Desmond able to know about Locke's speech?
« on: October 20, 2006, 12:32:48 AM »
So what do you guys think?
I'm going with number 3...

misspensinger

Re: How is Desmond able to know about Locke's speech?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 12:42:48 AM »
This sucks!  Not your poll, but the fact that I know TPTB said NO TIMETRAVEL.  I like displacement, but that is a form of time travel.  I don't know what the answer is.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 02:25:31 AM »
Is there an "all of the above" option?

"None of the above"?

J/K! I'm not really sure on this one... my thoughts are still up in the air. Maybe he's from the future, maybe he's not even alive anymore... I honestly don't know. I think I'm gonna wait until I see a few more episodes before I make my decision. This last episode just confused me to the point that I can't formulate a decent logical opinion.

Offline Jordanoth

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 02:34:46 AM »
im actually more thinking that something caused by men made all this happen.. someone infiltrated the hatch when they all blacked out and moved them out of the hatch before detonation?.. i just cant buy that they were all just chucked into the air.. what really happened??? maybe this imagery was implanted in the three of them with hypnosis or whatever.. thus desmonds confusion

mindsparkle

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 04:46:37 AM »
I think all three were smart enough to get out before it all imploded but the impact and energy around them made them pass out... waking later to find themselves in precarious places... I'm not sure Desmond has the ability to see the future or it was a one time "vision" like thing from the island.

Michelle13

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 06:34:15 AM »
I am with Jordan on this one...some person or something like this got the boys out and put them in the jungle. I don't think an implosion would throw them up in the air and out into the jungle...one naked, one mute and one to throw his stick in the air as a polar bear on an island is dragging him away...just my quick thoughts. BUT, I think just as Locke had a vision, so did Desmond. SO FAR THIS IS MY THEORY...it is subject to change because my son stole the episode from me and I've been unable to watch it since.

Offline bayrodney

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 07:51:01 AM »
I think the island gave him a message. We've seen several times before, including the message given to Locke in the same episode. They're not uncommon.
Well that's my two cents anyways.

Offline ape

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 08:30:02 AM »
There is a website with transcripts of all the whispers.

They are recorded from stereo audio that is panned all the way to the left or all the way right.

Sometimes they are like a faint commentary of what is happening (like the voice through the earpiece from a production control room in a TV studio) and other times they are almost instructions of what to say or do.

BlackrockBob

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 09:14:12 AM »
I believe that Des was displaced in time. I know they mentioned time being different on  the island on a podcast. What I'm thinking is that since Des was at the center of the failsafe, when he used it, the EM force that was released bent time, and Des was kind of buffeted around like a little toy boat in the bath tub. He was kind of moved forward and back in time a little bit, and ended up naked close to Locke.

I don't want Des to have precognition now. I'd also accept that smokey saved them, and Des picked up some glimpses of what will happen from Smokey.

Offline sjforcum

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 10:19:16 AM »
Option 5 - Because the show jumped the shark? :)

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 10:37:26 AM »
This sucks!  Not your poll, but the fact that I know TPTB said NO TIMETRAVEL.  I like displacement, but that is a form of time travel.  I don't know what the answer is.

TPTB pretty much said NO to EVERY THEORY so far! There are really only a few things not offered up...let's see

1. Magic...is this a magical place?
2. Alternate/Parallel dimension...maybe this has even been theorized on?
3. A sort of mass hallucination or hypnotism.
4. Everyone on the island are training to be angels or demons.

hate to say it, but I'm lost!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 10:39:03 AM by nothingbutsky »

misspensinger

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 03:18:58 PM »
LOL, we're all lost!  I like the idea that the island spoke to him, like we've seen with other characters.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 08:28:16 PM »
LOL, we're all lost!  I like the idea that the island spoke to him, like we've seen with other characters.
i'm with you, i think the island spoke to him.  i think it happend in a dream/when he was unconscience

Offline ape

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 09:16:49 PM »
A lot of the previous episode was about control (commanding Jack then not giving him the reward, the CCTV wall, etc) so I still believe the speech and mission was given to John to recite. Desmond merely intercepted it while unconcsious in the same vicinity.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 11:09:15 PM »
Just to note. If Hurley was the only one to be able to see Des, then we probably wouldn't have gotten that until a Hurley episode. This epi was mostly about Locke. Have we ever had apparitions appear to people who wasn't the centric character for the epi? The only time Jack has seen his dad is in Jack-centrics, Kate saw the horse in Kate-centric, Shannon saw Walt in a Shannon-centric, and Hurley saw Dave in a Hurley-centric epi. I don't think Hurley will see things in a Locke epi.