Author Topic: Still unexplained...  (Read 6337 times)

Offline LOSTNightmaregk13

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Still unexplained...
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:07:46 AM »
again don't know if this was posted before or not
The Black Rock
-how did it got there..
also i built this theory back in season one, that the people who where in the ship became th others
silly isn't it?
and perhaps they made a connection with the people who where living there that built the well and the anubis statue and the temple (2 anhks actually)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Still unexplained...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »
I think we're supposed to learn more about the statue by the end of the season, and I bet we'll eventually learn more about the Black Rock, how it came to be there, and the significance of it too.

Offline Zinzi

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:07:05 AM »
I like the theories that claim the original Others (natives or call them what you will!) were originally crew from the Black Rock.  I'm just not sure how it all fits in with the statue etc though? 

I was rewatching the S4 finale and tried to get a good look at the rest of the Others who came to help Ben, but I didn't really get much of a look!  Someone posted that maybe we'll get another "Other 48 days" type episode about what's been going on with Richard and co since the island moved, that would be great!  We need one (or more) about their whole story though!

Lots of confusion about The Black Rocks history.  Some stuff from the ARGs contradicts what we were told in The Constant and so san't be taken as canon.  I just read the Lostpedia page about it and now I'm even more confused! 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 10:07:02 AM »
The fact that the island is always moving and the way we saw it disappear  explains the black Rock to me. It came on the island during one of the times the isalnd moved.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »
The fact that the island is always moving and the way we saw it disappear  explains the black Rock to me. It came on the island during one of the times the isalnd moved.

Which probably means (the way I see it) that the crew of the Black rock can't be the original group of others, because who was on the island to make the island move in the first place?? The crew may have been assimilated, but I don't think they were the original.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:30:50 AM »

you believe me,

you really believe me,

I say same for Yemmi's plane

Offline jphimself

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 12:01:29 PM »
Do we know for sure that the Island moves physically?  We know that it certainly moves through time, but is there any evidence that it moves from one geographic space to another?

We certainly saw it disappear from Faraday and company's view.  Is that "proof" that it is moving from place to place, as well as in time?  If it does move physically, what could be a possible scientific explanation for that.  After all, TPTB have said that there was, at least, a science-based theory that will explain everything.

Yes, I am in the camp that thinks they meant this and were not misdirecting the audience.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »
Yes, I think we know the island moves physically, though I forget how we know that. It's tucked into the part of my brain that holds things that are certain in Lost (it's a very small bin), instead of the sticky-noted white board of things that are uncertain.

I think maybe it's because of what Ms Hawking says? Then the chalkmarks on the Lamppost floor....for me, what seals the deal is that Ajira 316 was on its way from Hawaii to Guam, and that flight route isn't near where 815 crashed (if the pilot left from Sydney, lost the signal 6 (?) hours in, then turned around and flew for 2 more hours...jeez this sounds like a math word problem).

Also...I had a theory that the Swan and the FDW worked together to hold the island in space and time, so that moving the island physically would result in moving the island to the time when it was in that physical location. Kinda dumb, but I based it on the fact that the island is physically moving too.  :-\ *shrugging*

Offline jphimself

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
Yes, I think we know the island moves physically, though I forget how we know that. It's tucked into the part of my brain that holds things that are certain in Lost (it's a very small bin), instead of the sticky-noted white board of things that are uncertain.

I think maybe it's because of what Ms Hawking says? Then the chalkmarks on the Lamppost floor....for me, what seals the deal is that Ajira 316 was on its way from Hawaii to Guam, and that flight route isn't near where 815 crashed (if the pilot left from Sydney, lost the signal 6 (?) hours in, then turned around and flew for 2 more hours...jeez this sounds like a math word problem).

Also...I had a theory that the Swan and the FDW worked together to hold the island in space and time, so that moving the island physically would result in moving the island to the time when it was in that physical location. Kinda dumb, but I based it on the fact that the island is physically moving too.  :-\ *shrugging*

Let's not forget, the Island would move physically if it moved through time simply because of the movement of the plates of the earth's crust.  If it jumped many years it would not be in the same "place" as before.

I got so nutso on this topic that I Googled the speed of plate tectonics and learned that the Pacific plate moves at the rate of 8 cm/year.  Hardly enough to notice, even after a move of a thousand years (80 meters), but maybe enough to "come up" under a boat that was moored just off shore.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »
So between 1977 and 2004, the island would have moved (tetonically speaking) 216 cm. But in 1977 and/or 2008, it was on the flightpath from HI to Guam, and in 2004 it was closer to Australia...

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 01:30:09 PM »
Dear Lord... is this what we're reduced to now? Figuring out how far the island would move in a thousand years based on techtonic plate movement? lol, this is pretty ridiculous. I am thinking the island moves physically due to the different points on the map in the lamp post. That's enough for me hehe.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 01:35:43 PM »
Dear Lord... is this what we're reduced to now? Figuring out how far the island would move in a thousand years based on techtonic plate movement? lol, this is pretty ridiculous. I am thinking the island moves physically due to the different points on the map in the lamp post. That's enough for me hehe.
Me too...I was just trying to put a bit of scientific stuff into my post so's I'd sound smarter.  :P

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 01:36:47 PM »
Me too...I was just trying to put a bit of scientific stuff into my post so's I'd sound smarter.  :P
Well you always sound smart to me anyway  ;)

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:54:01 PM »
Mrs Hawking tells us flat out that the island moves.  She said that they had to be on that plane at that time, because the plane will be flying right through the window into the island.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
Well you always sound smart to me anyway  ;)
Aw! I got a nerdy blush now... *adjusts glasses*