Author Topic: 8 survived crash, but 2 died  (Read 16684 times)

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
8 survived crash, but 2 died
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »
I thought that this was actually one of the most interesting parts of the episode. When Jack gets called to the stand, he takes the oath, but then he starts going on about how there were supposedly 8 survivors from Oceanic 815, and that Kate saved all but two. Is this a rehearsed lie that all the Oceanic 6 have to live by, or did Jack just flat out lie to make Kate seem like a heroine? Why did Kack say that no one else survived the crash, besides the obvious reason that he's keeping the island secret? Oh, and we can't neglect to mention that Jack admitted to Kate that he lied - especially about loving her.

So there you go, an alibi/story for the Oceanic 6, Jack's a liar (and a crybaby), and Jack really loves Kate. ;)

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Jack as a Character Witness
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:09:16 AM »
Is this a rehearsed lie that all the Oceanic 6 have to live by, or did Jack just flat out lie to make Kate seem like a heroine?

I think that it is a rehearsed lie that the O6 use as a cover. Perhaps Jack just emphasized exaggerated the "Kate is amazing" chapters for the trial.

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:15:03 AM »
Definitley a cover.  In the rear parking lot after the hearing Kate says "you've said that stuff so many times you're starting to believe it" or something like that.  A story rehearsed by all 6 to keep they're stories straight.

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 01:50:12 AM »
also i think he was covering for the other people who are still on the island. if jack under oath were to tell the whole story,there would be a world wide media frenzy to find the other survivors of Oceanic 815. Rescue missions media all being drawn to the island. more planes would go down, not to mention this mystery island would surely be exposed.

maybe part of the deal for th O6 to get off safely was that they can never tell anyone about the island, what goes on there, or any of the survivors.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 02:28:19 AM »
What I'm wondering is why would Jack (and the rest of them) even say that 8 survived, if only 6 got off the island?  They would have had to have given the name of the 2 that died, so were these two people that really died during their escape, and since they have 2 extra bodies there they had to say 8?  Or did they just make up 2 extra people to make their story more believable?

I think 8 of them had an opportunity to get off the island at the very end, and during whatever happened, 2 of those 8 died in the process.  Just my thoughts though.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 02:32:41 AM »
What I'm wondering is why would Jack (and the rest of them) even say that 8 survived, if only 6 got off the island?  They would have had to have given the name of the 2 that died, so were these two people that really died during their escape, and since they have 2 extra bodies there they had to say 8?  Or did they just make up 2 extra people to make their story more believable?

I think 8 of them had an opportunity to get off the island at the very end, and during whatever happened, 2 of those 8 died in the process.  Just my thoughts though.
my thoughts were they said 8 to have an explaination for something...if Claire isnt one of the 8 survivors, then Aaron couldnt be expalined as alive..he would have died when Claire died in the crash, but if she was one of the 8 that survived, then gave birth and died, it could be explained easier to how Kate got Aaron, if Claire does not get off island...
The other person to make the 8 is unknown, and my have similar reason for explaining a death..

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:38:45 AM »
Agreed. Cover. But kinda far fetched, that the doctor wasn't the one providing first aid to the survivors.  

I'm guessing they made a deal with whoever perpetrated the cover up plane wreckage.  Perhaps the same cabal owns Oceanic, and the big payoffs were part of the deal.

Chances are that the cover story has Claire one of the 8 who survived, but probably also saying she died, but not before making Kate promise to raise Aaron.  The world would know that Aaron couldn't possibly be Aaron's mother, as everyone knew she was not pregnant and in handcuffs on the plane.  The other person who survived the crash but died later is, obviously, the marshall, as Jack said on the stand.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 02:40:36 AM »

my thoughts were they said 8 to have an explaination for something...if Claire isnt one of the 8 survivors, then Aaron couldnt be expalined as alive..he would have died when Claire died in the crash, but if she was one of the 8 that survived, then gave birth and died, it could be explained easier to how Kate got Aaron, if Claire does not get off island...
The other person to make the 8 is unknown, and my have similar reason for explaining a death..

yeah but obviously kate is claiming aaron as her own... at least to the public, so she could easily say that she was pregnant prior to the island and had him on the island... which she obviously wasn't if they had medical records of kate (i'm sure they did cuz she was wanted) they'd know it'd be impossible for her to get pregnant and have the baby on the island... unless they don't actually get rescued for a year or something crazy after they crashed

i feel like i just wrote a giant run on sentence that makes no sense.. sorry :-/

GOODNIGHT EVERYONE!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 02:46:16 AM »
Well, only part has to make sense to us...the viewers...there is no family to really dispute any of the legality of it...and most average people in the tv show wouldnt be asking who is who...just saying wow they survived...

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 02:46:33 AM »
I think it was an obvious lie to keep people away from the island. If he said "around 50 survived the crash, some died of natural causes, some were killed by a cloud of smoke, some were paralyzed by spiders and buried alive. plus that band of weirdos running around the place conducting crazy experiments didn't make things much easier. also all of those people we left behind may be dead or alive, hell if i know, me and the other five high tailed it out of there months ago."

half of his explanation was to make Kate look like a a hero, half was to keep people away from the island.

I don't think there is a significance to the number 8 here. if he said 10 survived and four died that would still leave 6 that made it  back. No reason for a rescue mission, Kate's a hero, bing bang boom bob's your uncle.

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
8 survived crash, but 2 died
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 03:12:43 AM »
In the cover-up story, who are the two that died? Charlie may be one, since he made contact with the outside world. In case that is known, or might ever be known, good thing to point out he was alive, but then died on the island. Who might the other person be?

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
Re: 8 survived crash, but 2 died
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 03:16:15 AM »
I wonder if it could be Claire.  Maybe Kate's son is really Claire's Aaron.  If the child is Kate and Sawyer's then Kate conceived on the island and would be doomed.  And why would Kate name Sawyer's son Aaron?  There are so many other choices.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 03:19:51 AM »
Hail, the almighty Sledge!

Yeah, we were talking about that in the "Jack Character Witness" thread... why would he bother saying 8 if only 6 made it...

Some people speculate that it is part of the cover for the Oceanic 6... or that maybe 8 people did have to opportunity to get off the island but the other 2 didn't make it... not real sure if there's a significance to the number 8 itself...

It's just funny that first we're trying to figure out who's the Oceanic 6, now we're trying to find out who are the other 2 characters... unless it's all a lie to keep the island and its inhabitants a secret...

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 03:22:33 AM »
Jack mentions on the stand that the marshall survived the crash, but died soonafter.  So he's one.  And my guess is that Claire'll be the other.  Died in childbirth, or soonafter, making Kate promise to take care of Aaron.

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 03:29:08 AM »
 i thought jack said the marshall died in the crash. and i thought kate was passing off the baby as her own.