Author Topic: Whats up with Daniel's memory?  (Read 9513 times)

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Whats up with Daniel's memory?
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:56:45 PM »
He can do a complicated scientific experiment, but can't remember 3 cards? What is this supposed to mean or show us? There has to be a reason this scene was included.

Does it relate to him crying when he sees the footage of 815 crash?

Thoughts???

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Whats up with Daniel's memory?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:57:39 PM »
Was he remembering those cards, or clairvoyantly guessing them? I wasn't clear on that one.

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:58:32 PM »
I don't think it's related. But definetly there's something there: they woudn't have included that odd scene if it didn't mean anything!

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 11:58:53 PM »
yeah someone was talking during that and i totally missed it!  could someone recap for me?  :-*

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:02:26 AM »
I believe he is trying to test his memory to see if updates or course corrects itself in order to be chronologically relevant. He's testing his memory and more importantly its aptitude.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:02:49 AM »
That was the strangest part of the show. does he have some mental illness? I also wondering if it was a memory test or clairvoyance test.

It felt like a simple memory test.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:03:40 AM »
Let's not forget that Naomi called him a "head case".

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »
oh, he wasn't counting cards?  he was shown 3 cards, and then asked to repeat them?  maybe it is a test to prevent his mind from deteriorating...like alzhiemers...sort of....aren't people encouraged to do crossword puzzles and keep their mind challenged?  not like studying up physics isn't challenging...

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:04:42 AM »
I think it was just a memory test b/c Charlotte was trying to comfort him when he got them wrong. I'm guessing there's something wrong with our new friend.

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 12:06:23 AM »
do you think that while they have been looking for this island they have also been studying the affects of what the island can/cannot do and now they are trying the studies out while actually on the island?

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 12:06:35 AM »
my take was he was shown just 3 cards...and then they were turned over and he tried to remember what they were and could only after great difficulty remember 2 of them and the third was a way off base guess...

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 12:10:51 AM »
yeah someone was talking during that and i totally missed it!  could someone recap for me?  :-*

Well, basically it went more or less like this

Charlotte is sitting across from Daniel with 3 cards face down, she says are you ready to try. He struggles and names three cards. She turns the cards over, the first two he names are correct the third one is wrong. Charlotte says “you did better” and Daniel says “it is only three cards”

I felt like he was just trying to remember them but that is not clear.....seems to not be worth the time it takes to explain...so why was it included in the show is the questions?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 12:13:36 AM »
thanks tony!  yes, it does sound like there is something wrong with daniel... like it was more than just a little game.  sweet of charlotte to help though.  maybe his memory is just messed up somehow...maybe that is why he was crying during the crash footage.  ah, who know.s

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 12:16:30 AM »
See, but what if they brought Daniel along on this little mission in the first place because of some odd clairvoyant skill HE has? And now it's deteriorating on the island -- kinda the opposite of what happens to most people on the island.

I could still see this one going both ways.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 12:18:54 AM »
I think I must be really thick, cuz I totally thought it was some kind of card-counting thing or psychic-skill test.  But the simplest answer is probably the best one - he's got a bad short-term memory.