Author Topic: Can Abortion save lives on the island?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Can Abortion save lives on the island?
« on: May 02, 2007, 03:47:34 PM »
I was on ABC.com when I came across a post that was actually quite good, especially when compared to the rest of the stuff there... I swear, if this forum was half as bad as that one...

Anyways here it is:

Quote from: LockePissesMeOff from ABC.com
I'm not trying to get everyone riled up, but I couldn't help but wonder. . .

What if a pregnant woman on the island gets an abortion? Will she still die? Would an abortion save her? I know Lost (and ABC) don't have the stones to throw this all-too topical subject into the mix, but I couldn't help but wonder.

I wonder if there is a "cut off" from getting pregnant to dying. If you could find out early enough, could it prevent Sun/Kate/whomever from dying?

While the island has plenty as far as technology is concerned, manual vacuum aspiration doesn't even require electricity. . .

Just a thought. And I'm sure to have pissed off 1/2 this board already.

Have a good day and a great Lost-watching evening!

Offline a_dot_out

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Can Abortion save lives on the island?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »
I imagine it could allow the pregnant woman to survive, but that is irrelevant as the Others will go to any length to keep the fetus alive and birthed as noted in Claire's Staff Hatch flashback in Season 2. The life of the host can easily be sacrificed so long as the baby survives.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 03:55:54 PM »
My reaction to this was that I don't see why an abortion (although risky) would not save the mother.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 04:49:46 PM »
Yeah, from what I got out of the show... the mother's body starts to turn on the fetus?  Is that correct?  So if the fetus was gone, her body should stop acting against itself.  Hm?  I think that an abortion would save the mother's life, but the Other's wouldn't use that course of action because they want the babies, or they want a woman to deliver.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 06:04:42 PM »
Maybe that is what Ethan was performing in Left Behind.

If you watch House, then you know that when an immune system gets riled up, it begins to attack everything.

That is probably the basis of all autoimmune disorders.  A hapten or other immunogen that is similar, but different, from the body is blasted.....but the body now fails to distinguish this agent from the body's similar determinant.  MS, Sjorgrens, Lupus, Diabetes (juvenile), Transverse myelitis, ulcerative colitis....babies.

Usually, if the mom rejected the baby, the baby gets screwed in the deal.  A condition termed Hydrops Fetalis results.  Look that on up on Wikipedia and you'll realize how far they have deviated from a good explanation for this one.