Author Topic: Tom warning Jack  (Read 12127 times)

Offline gakhandal

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Tom warning Jack
« on: March 22, 2007, 01:39:41 AM »
When jack went to see Kate at Tom's place, Tom warns Jack "to be care full in their" pointing to his ear. probably indicating that the place is bugged.

Could Tom be one of the Others that's in Juliette group that wants to overpower Ben? Maybe part of one of the factions of the Others?

Why did he warn Jack? Its a bit suspicious.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Tom warning Jack
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 01:47:37 AM »
i thought he was waving his finger in a circle like the crazy sign.  sort of like, "be careful in there, she's loco"

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 01:50:28 AM »
I think he was saying that the place is wired.  Jack knows more than we do and he was telling him not to tell Kate because they can here everything he says.

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 01:51:47 AM »
I was actually wondering the same thing, gakhandal!

Do you think Tom was also getting off the island?  Do you think that they were sort of in on it together?

Offline gakhandal

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:58:06 AM »
It could of meant to, Ladybug    lol.
I mis-described, he tapped his right temple then he waved his finger up and around. I dunno, we'll have to wait...? Then again, I over see stuff too frequently, its probably nothing.

These are all theories on just one hand movement, so nothing is certain :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:26:44 PM by gakhandal »

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 02:06:29 AM »
Tom was with them when they went down to the sub, wasn't he?  With such a crew to see them down to the sub, do you think that only THEY were leaving?  I mean, it wasn't exactly a party for the send off, but otherwise why would there be so many of them?

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 02:14:31 AM »
I was looking for a place to post this same question. Why was Tom warning Jack?

Also who was going to pilot the sub? Just Jack and Juliet? Or was Tom going as well?

and besides the military who gets underway at 4am?

without the ping working how was the sub going to find how to get out of there?

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:17:30 AM »
Great question.

And why is the sub the only transportation left off of the island?  Is there something about being underwater that helps?

Offline gakhandal

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 02:18:05 AM »
Tom was with them when they went down to the sub, wasn't he?  With such a crew to see them down to the sub, do you think that only THEY were leaving?  I mean, it wasn't exactly a party for the send off, but otherwise why would there be so many of them?

It may takes a crew to get the sub fully working, they probably are trained to do so. Something Ben wanted to know what exactly was Locke's intentions with the Sub, Ben stated/taunted that Locke wouldn't know how to run it.

But yes, it could mean they to were about to leave, or stage a plan to take control of the sub and leave.

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 02:21:29 AM »
My immediate reaction was simply that Tom's warning served as a really convenient way to prevent Jack from telling Kate (and by extension, us the viewer) what the hell is going on. 

It's possible there was some deeper meaning related to the inner dynamics of the Others, but I'm not so sure.

Offline gakhandal

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 02:23:21 AM »
Great question.

And why is the sub the only transportation left off of the island?  Is there something about being underwater that helps?
Theirs the big boat that the Others used to get to and from Alcatraz.
Desmond's ship never got anywhere, but what of Micheal and Walt then. could of they gone somewhere?

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 02:29:43 AM »
What it means is someone else is watching, not only watching Jack, but watching all of the Others.
Note that Ben can't tell a lie or show weakness or else he gets in trouble.  Is Jacob watching?  Does Jacob have stormtroopers?

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 04:10:58 AM »
I thought this scene was pretty odd too. I didn't know if Tom was doing the "she's loco" sign, if he was pointing to his head, refering to being monitored/wired, or if he was putting a gun to his head. Tom's just a weird guy.

And the whole dialogue between Jack and Kate was extremely unsual. Like Kate was trying to be affectionate and Jack was seemingly indifferent bringing up Sawyer. And what was up with Jack saying, "you told me to" - did he really think that he was doing the right thing and that he would be able to leave the island and come back to save everyone?

I'm gonna have to rewatch the whole episode... it was a good one... and at least Jack didn't cry... Locke did...

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 05:47:30 AM »
What I noticed is Tom seems to be getting a little friendly with Jack all of a sudden......bringing jack cheese sandwiches, telling him little tid-bits of info, and now playing football with Jack. Odd....

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »
I was on two submarines during my Navy time. We navigated in the dark all the time. Two ways to do it (underwater):

1) Sonar - sound waves bouncing off of the sea floor in front of you give you an indication of the depth of the water you are going into. Gives you a sort of underwater map so that you don't run aground.

2) Dead Reckoning - If you have been using a specific navigational route for some time, you know where all of the hazards are. So you stay on a course for a certain distance, then turn X number of degrees to new heading XXX an travel for X distance, then turn X number of degrees on new heading XXX, etc.

On the surface, you use both Sonar and Radar. The sonar tells you the water depth so that you don't run aground, the Radar tells you what structures/vessels are above water.