Author Topic: Significance of Glass Ballerina  (Read 3765 times)

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Significance of Glass Ballerina
« on: October 12, 2006, 01:48:21 AM »
Deception was a prevalent theme in epi2 and is it's an important issue to the series as a whole.

I liked how the first five minutes gave us a glimpse of what Sun is capable of doing, at least as far as lying or withholding the truth is concerned. Blaming the maid for the broken ballerina at such a young age was classic - a pristine, glass figurine of innocence in pieces. I mean, she was able to hold her own against her dad as a child, looked him in the eye and everything, but broke down and couldn't even raise her face at him when he caught her in bed. She is definitely one of the underestimated characters on the show.

And if Jin is able to see through her lies, I wonder how much of the truth he really does know about her. What are your thoughts on the glass ballerina allegory?

mindsparkle

Re: Significance of Glass Ballerina
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 02:49:26 AM »
I was surprised that Sun could lie so well, she is her father's daughter... she learned early on that to do anything wrong meant severe punishment and she is a little survivor... she's much tougher than we've ever given her credit for.. I also find it strange that as I cheer that Sun shot the woman Colleen... that killing someone is not a good thing and not something you should take candidly...

I glass ballerina may also represent the loss of Sun innocents... she has to lie to avoid punishment and I think she has had to be deceptive all her life to live with a father that is a power but low-lifed gangster... She probably rarely got anything that didn't have strings attached to it...

Offline TheBuckRock

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 04:51:14 AM »
Even more telling was the look on young Sun's face as she realized she had gotten away with the lie. I think it has weighed on her over the years, however, and that she will eventually tell Jin the truth about her bald-headed loverboy. The look on her face at his funeral when her daddy said "It is not my place to tell him (Jin)" was totally different than the look on the young Sun's face. Different actress, of course, but the young Sun was proud of her lying skills and the old Sun was ashamed of them.

BlackrockBob

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 06:40:00 AM »
I think Sun pushed the guy off the balcony. He was holding the pearls. She is capable of murder as she shot that Other. That proved that the Others don't really know her.

I had missed the first part of the show, but had it recorded. When I went back and saw the glass ballerina fall, and Sun's lies to her father, I started thinking that was a foreshadowing of what she is capable of too.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »
Once again, nearly impossible that Sun was there.

Good topic, piglet. I was going to post this one. I'm not sure exactly what the significance is, I'm not into allegories. However, I think that the breaking of the Ballerina represents the breaking of trust. After this point, Sun is not trustworthy for anything.

Why do guys always underestimate the hot Asian chicks?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 12:30:50 PM »
Once again, nearly impossible that Sun was there.

Good topic, piglet. I was going to post this one. I'm not sure exactly what the significance is, I'm not into allegories. However, I think that the breaking of the Ballerina represents the breaking of trust. After this point, Sun is not trustworthy for anything.

Why do guys always underestimate the hot Asian chicks?

Why is it nearly impossible for sun to be there. She has been in that room befor, maybe even has a key. Not hard for her to follow Jin. SHe was in that room when Jae died. They were telling us that when the other said she isn't a killer. Yes she is and she shot the other because she has killed before. THey are telling us this in that scene on the boat.

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »
Deception was a prevalent theme in epi2 and is it's an important issue to the series as a whole.

I liked how the first five minutes gave us a glimpse of what Sun is capable of doing, at least as far as lying or withholding the truth is concerned. Blaming the maid for the broken ballerina at such a young age was classic - a pristine, glass figurine of innocence in pieces. I mean, she was able to hold her own against her dad as a child, looked him in the eye and everything, but broke down and couldn't even raise her face at him when he caught her in bed. She is definitely one of the underestimated characters on the show.

Yes, interesting. I liked the fact that you believe Sun is underestimated, as shown by the others towards the end of the show as the woman in the boat thinks that Sun doesn't have the stones to shoot her, and infact, she does shoot her.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 12:40:13 PM »

Yes, interesting. I liked the fact that you believe Sun is underestimated, as shown by the others towards the end of the show as the woman in the boat thinks that Sun doesn't have the stones to shoot her, and infact, she does shoot her.

And she is underestimated by many on this board because she is involved in Jae death. I am telling you!!

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:48:19 PM »
I saw a very good comment on another forum.  It said that the glass ballerina and Jae Lee made two imagery "bookends" for the episode... both falling and destroyed, both due to Sun's careless acts.

Also, I think the glass ballerina is symbolic of the shattering of our previous perceptions of who Sun was (clear, beautiful, innocent).

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 02:00:09 PM »
Good point.

To everyone: Go see GJ's post under the poll for Jae's suicide (then talk about it THERE where it belongs).

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 07:56:57 PM »
I saw a very good comment on another forum.  It said that the glass ballerina and Jae Lee made two imagery "bookends" for the episode... both falling and destroyed, both due to Sun's careless acts.

Also, I think the glass ballerina is symbolic of the shattering of our previous perceptions of who Sun was (clear, beautiful, innocent).

Even more telling was the look on young Sun's face as she realized she had gotten away with the lie. I think it has weighed on her over the years, however, and that she will eventually tell Jin the truth about her bald-headed loverboy. The look on her face at his funeral when her daddy said "It is not my place to tell him (Jin)" was totally different than the look on the young Sun's face. Different actress, of course, but the young Sun was proud of her lying skills and the old Sun was ashamed of them.

wow, i hadn't even thought of that... i like the idea of "bookends" representing both Jae and the ballerina... and it just occurred to me that sun didn't fess up to her dad about breaking the figurine and she didn't fess up to jin about her complicated relationship with jae...

also, to follow up on buck's comment... it's like what her dad said, "it's not my place to tell him"... thus, i think that somewhere down this season sun might reach a point of self-actualization wherein she confesses everything, either she's forced to do so or because she wants to be guilt-free... call it enlightenment, karma, or whatever you like - i think something big will happen to her on the show because she IS so underestimated...

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 08:42:11 PM »
I agree Piglet. Sun is going to come clean. Poor Jin...

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 12:51:37 AM »
I was surprised that Sun could lie so well, she is her father's daughter... she learned early on that to do anything wrong meant severe punishment and she is a little survivor... she's much tougher than we've ever given her credit for.. I also find it strange that as I cheer that Sun shot the woman Colleen... that killing someone is not a good thing and not something you should take candidly...

I glass ballerina may also represent the loss of Sun innocents... she has to lie to avoid punishment and I think she has had to be deceptive all her life to live with a father that is a power but low-lifed gangster... She probably rarely got anything that didn't have strings attached to it...

Sun couldn't lie well...her father knew she broke it, and she knew he knew. It was a lesson that lying was OK as long as you were willing to all the way with that lie. They both understood that IMO. So her father was more or less teaching her HOW to lie.

Offline Dracos

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 09:45:50 PM »
thus, i think that somewhere down this season sun might reach a point of self-actualization wherein she confesses everything, either she's forced to do so or because she wants to be guilt-free... call it enlightenment, karma, or whatever you like - i think something big will happen to her on the show because she IS so underestimated...

I think the word you are looking for is "redemption".  Seems to be the common theme with the back stories and being on the island.

scrod

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 10:22:36 PM »
To add to Pandora's comment, in both cases SONEONE ELSE paid the price for Sun's lie.  Sun almost paid a price for the lie that Sayid told.  Funny that Jin ssaw it and Sun didn't. 

Sun is the anti-glass ballerina.  Opaque and resilient.