Author Topic: Paranormal Activity  (Read 4037 times)

Offline DevilishinVA

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Paranormal Activity
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »
Anyone seen this and is it really scary??

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/buzz-log-paranormal-activity.html

Trailer at the bottom.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Activity
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:49:06 AM »
Entertainment Weekly says it'll scare the socks off you.  Apparently it's going to be sort of like Blair Witch.  It was filmed at a cost of (get this) $11,000... in some guy's house. 

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »
I watched a preview and it looked dumb...along with all the other ghost shows...

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:59 PM »
I think it depends on what scares you.  Some people don't find ghost stuff scary at all, so this may not be the movie for everybody.  But many of my friends who did see this film said it was awesome. 

I'm just afraid that with all the hype that my expectations will be so high, that I'm doomed to face disappointment. I am so jaded when it comes to horror films now. Nothing scares me.

I hate gross out movies, cuz they don't scare me. They just gross me out.

I'm hoping that Paranormal Activity will give me a couple scares. Or just creep me out a bit. I like movies that make me think about it days later and leave me feeling uneasy.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »
OMG just saw this movie and LOVED IT!!!!!  Went in not expecting alot and came out very pleased. 

Now, this is not the movie for people who expect a CGI- special effects, action packed blood fest.  It was filmed in the Blair Witch style without the rollercoaster, nauseau effects.

What I loved about this movie was the subtlety of the scares and the build-up of tension through out the film.  This was a very character driven movie and filmed entirely in the house where "paranormal" activity is seemingly plaguing a young couple.  What I loved is that you never actually see much and what you do see is creepy. The audio was really freaky too.  What I also noticed is because it was documentary style filming there was no music in the background to set the mood. For me, creepy music can lend so much to a horror film, but because this was shot like a "home movie" it still was able to creep the beejezus out of me. 

The acting was SUPERB because the two main characters did not look like they were acting at all. They seemed so real to me.  The dialogue did not feel scripted.  It all seemed so natural despite all the supernatural phenomenon that was going on. And their reactions to the events seemed real to me as well.  I really felt a connection with these people and sympathized with them which made it all the more frightening when all the weird shyte started happening.

I admit there were a couple scenes that went a little over the top for me and took away from the realistic feel this film had.  But overall, I LOVED this movie and I wasn't screaming or anything like the preview audiences, but it definitely had me thinking about it after I left the movie theater. When it comes out on DVD I am sooooooo buying it!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:35:30 PM »
I may have to go to take my daughter sometime soon, but if it were up to me I'd wait for DVD...lol

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »
I may have to go to take my daughter sometime soon, but if it were up to me I'd wait for DVD...lol

You sound like my hubby!  He is so jaded that nothing scares him. He says he's gonna wait for DVD too!  I hope you like it!!!!  I know some people who HATED it. But I'm wondering if they were expecting too much because of all the hype.  Or they didn't like the movie style.  But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions!  ;D 

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:04:21 PM »

You sound like my hubby!  He is so jaded that nothing scares him. He says he's gonna wait for DVD too!  I hope you like it!!!!  I know some people who HATED it. But I'm wondering if they were expecting too much because of all the hype.  Or they didn't like the movie style.  But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions!  ;D 
I like the movie theater experience, but I don't like them, cuz I'm a germaphobe...eek! Any place that has sticky popcorn butter can't be good LOL Then there is the fact everyones head has rested on the seat...double eek!!

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:43 PM »

I like the movie theater experience, but I don't like them, cuz I'm a germaphobe...eek! Any place that has sticky popcorn butter can't be good LOL Then there is the fact everyones head has rested on the seat...double eek!!

Ooooo Lou! I think we have a potential "Heeby Jeeby" post here!  OMG I agree about the sticky popcorn goo that seems to have the soles of your shoes sticking to the floor and/or carpet. Nothing like squelching through god-knows-what in the dark trying to find somewhere to sit and pray that the previous viewer didn't dump his beverage on said seat!!!!  Or half their chocolate bar and then you end up sitting on it!  UGH UGH UGH! 

Okay. A solution. BIG ASS flat screen TV for your home!  Oh yes! We have this projector thing at home where we can display DVD movies on our entire wall! It rocks!   ;D 

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »

Ooooo Lou! I think we have a potential "Heeby Jeeby" post here!  OMG I agree about the sticky popcorn goo that seems to have the soles of your shoes sticking to the floor and/or carpet. Nothing like squelching through god-knows-what in the dark trying to find somewhere to sit and pray that the previous viewer didn't dump his beverage on said seat!!!!  Or half their chocolate bar and then you end up sitting on it!  UGH UGH UGH! 

Okay. A solution. BIG ASS flat screen TV for your home!  Oh yes! We have this projector thing at home where we can display DVD movies on our entire wall! It rocks!   ;D 
Yup, I am designing my Home Theater as we speak...LOL

Yup sticky popcorn goo

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 03:16:46 AM »
OMG!!!!! Paranormal Activity is gonna be on Blue Ray and DVD release on December 29th!!!

YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 09:15:07 PM »
LOL

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »
I saw it, it was dumb...Shutter Island now, that was good...

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »
I liked Shutter Island, too.  The critics were wrong!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »
I liked Shutter Island, too.  The critics were wrong!
I agree...it was very surreal, yet it kept you wondering...another Martin Scorsesse hit!