Author Topic: Theory: what happens when the bomb explodes...  (Read 8813 times)

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Theory: what happens when the bomb explodes...
« on: September 06, 2009, 08:50:23 PM »
ok well i watched the Episode "Cabin Fever" last night and the fact that Richard kept on testing locke throughout life especially the "which do you already own" game they play...

that made me think... what if the bomb resets them all in life to birth... and their memories or at least impressions may travel with them... not completely a tabula rasa ( clean slate for those who havent followed lol... ) and from there they live their lives differently.. made different choices but still end up on 815 for some reason or another.

because when locke is asked which he already owns ... he does choose the compass... the sand... then the knife.. which seems to set Richard off... we know the compass is his already, and we can assume that the sand is from the island and he may own it... or since he is their leader... perhaps... but why did the knife set him off?? if the sand represents theisland.. why cant a knife represent his case o' knives. THATS only if the sand "represents" the island or is "actualy island sand".

ok does this sound plausible? can anyone add to it?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Theory: what happens when the bomb explodes...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:17:58 PM »
I'm generally of the camp that if everything is reset, and the last 5 seasons didn't happen, I'll be very angry, lol.

However, I can live with your theory of resetting things if they carry the impressions or repressed memories of what happened to them with the 815 crash the first time around. If they do it like Desmond, when he flashed back to meeting Widmore and asking for Penny's hand in marriage. Something tips them off, everything comes back to them... I might be able to live with that. Because the past 5 seasons still happened, and they'd remember it... maybe vaguely, maybe subconsciously.

But if that's the case... um... does that mean there's a time loop?  ??? Because they'd be living things twice? Would their entire lives be like Final Destination, where they're running from course correcting? Would Jacob still visit them?     ...I think I'm getting a nosebleed, lol...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:39:35 PM »
Doc Jensen has theorized that they will reset to the moment of time when Jacob touched them. The could reset with a memory of what already happened. The problem with this theory is they were all different ages so how do you tell the story of Kate at a young age and Hurley when he got out of jail.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:47:59 AM »
Doc Jensen has theorized that they will reset to the moment of time when Jacob touched them. The could reset with a memory of what already happened. The problem with this theory is they were all different ages so how do you tell the story of Kate at a young age and Hurley when he got out of jail.

I  can see this but why would richard test locke at such an early age when jacob touched him so late in life... nad he just lived since then twice?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
Richard reaches out to Locke at three different points in his life off-island because of what Locke tells him in 1954. He tells Richard that Jacob said he's the leader. I think Richard is going by what Locke says.

So he's there at Locke's birth, to make sure he was telling the truth, and showed up when Locke was little to "test" him, see if he really was supposed to be their leader. Since it seemed that Richard was waiting for Locke to pick the Book of Laws, but he picked the knife, at that point I don't think Richard knows that Locke is actually a hunter-leader rather than a book-of-laws-leader. Remember, at that point he'd only had one conversation with the adult Locke, and he can't have known everything about him in that one conversation. And when Locke uses the sweat lodge on the pot-commune, he finds out that he's the hunter, not the farmer.

The third time Richard reaches out to Locke, it's through his science teacher, asking him to come to Mittelos science camp. This seems to be around the same time on-island that Richard asks Jack about Locke, and Jack says, "I wouldn't give up on him yet." I think that prompted him to send out the Mittelos pamphlet.

Finally (sorry kinda long), I don't think it matters to Richard if Jacob touched Locke or not. Jacob didn't touch Ben, and Ben was a leader. Richard says they start testing people from a very young age to see if they're leader-material, and here's where it gets tricky with the chicken-and-the-egg thing: Did Locke turn out to be their leader because Richard started testing him at a young age, or did Richard start testing him because Locke said that he would be their leader?  :-\ True, without Jacob's healing power, Locke would be dead, but I still don't think Richard needs to know that to be convinced that he's their leader.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 12:01:34 PM »
I had a nose bleed reading this.

I was thinking perhaps this just puts them back on the plane, it still crashes but they have enough knowledge to let the crash turn out differently. where they do not fight with the Others but work with them and learn what their destinies as survivors mean.

I mean if this is a game or a second chance to make things right then they might recall how and why Jacob touched them.

IDK just thinking out loud

-----------could Richard have been intervening to make sure that he doesn't die and then kills Jacob, that he is not there for him to be a leader?

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »
Richard reaches out to Locke at three different points in his life off-island because of what Locke tells him in 1954. He tells Richard that Jacob said he's the leader. I think Richard is going by what Locke says.

So he's there at Locke's birth, to make sure he was telling the truth, and showed up when Locke was little to "test" him, see if he really was supposed to be their leader. Since it seemed that Richard was waiting for Locke to pick the Book of Laws, but he picked the knife, at that point I don't think Richard knows that Locke is actually a hunter-leader rather than a book-of-laws-leader. Remember, at that point he'd only had one conversation with the adult Locke, and he can't have known everything about him in that one conversation. And when Locke uses the sweat lodge on the pot-commune, he finds out that he's the hunter, not the farmer.

The third time Richard reaches out to Locke, it's through his science teacher, asking him to come to Mittelos science camp. This seems to be around the same time on-island that Richard asks Jack about Locke, and Jack says, "I wouldn't give up on him yet." I think that prompted him to send out the Mittelos pamphlet.

Finally (sorry kinda long), I don't think it matters to Richard if Jacob touched Locke or not. Jacob didn't touch Ben, and Ben was a leader. Richard says they start testing people from a very young age to see if they're leader-material, and here's where it gets tricky with the chicken-and-the-egg thing: Did Locke turn out to be their leader because Richard started testing him at a young age, or did Richard start testing him because Locke said that he would be their leader?  :-\ True, without Jacob's healing power, Locke would be dead, but I still don't think Richard needs to know that to be convinced that he's their leader.

i def see your points... one thing tho... this only goes on speculation because we dont know how Widmore became the leader, but i think ben wasnt touched because he took the leadership rather than have it given to him... with this in mind im starting to think that maybe widmore might be te first mate on teh black rock.. or at least on it somehow...

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 10:34:45 AM »

I  can see this but why would richard test locke at such an early age when jacob touched him so late in life... nad he just lived since then twice?

I still think that Richard tested him because Richard remembers Locke coming to him and telling him that he is going to be their leader (circa 1954) Which i believe was two years before Locke was borne.  So to confirm this Richard tests him based on the criteria the "others" had, but Locke fails.  Locke is never truly their "leader" he is being used.

This is why I now think that Jacob is the father of Locke or even the MN2 and the reason Jacob touches him in the futgure is that he must fulfill a prophesy.  Remember one thing at least I keep remembering one important thing, Mrs. Hawking said
[At Marina Medical Center Long Beach]

WOMAN: [Over P.A.] Satellite pharmacy...

PENNY: Daniel Faraday? Your son is Daniel Faraday?

MS. HAWKING: [Whispers] yes.

PENNY: That's the man who sent Desmond to Los Angeles to find you.

MS. HAWKING: That's right. I came, Penelope, to apologize. Your husband has become a casualty in a conflict that's bigger than him, that's bigger than any of us.

PENNY: What do you mean? Is Des gonna be okay?

MS. HAWKING: I don't know. For the first time in a long time, I don't know what's going to happen next.

and then there was this conversation after

WIDMORE: Is he all right?

MS. HAWKING: Yes, Charles. He's fine.

WIDMORE: Good.

MS. HAWKING: Your daughter's in there. Why don't you go in and say hello?

WIDMORE: Unfortunately, Eloise, my relationship with Penelope is one of the things I had to sacrifice.

MS. HAWKING: Sacrifice? Don't you talk to me about sacrifice, Charles. I had to send my son back to the Island, knowing full well that--

WIDMORE: He was my son, too, Eloise.

[Ms. Hawking slaps Widmore.]

I just think there is so much in these scense that tell us what is happening in the future.  A conflict a conflict that pulls people in that should not be pulled in and that alone has given me reason to come to this conclusion.  our two men Jacob and MN2 are in conflict and have willfully pulled people in.

to do their bidding or whatever or how ever you want to say it.

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »
ok well i watched the Episode "Cabin Fever" last night and the fact that Richard kept on testing locke throughout life especially the "which do you already own" game they play...

that made me think... what if the bomb resets them all in life to birth... and their memories or at least impressions may travel with them... not completely a tabula rasa ( clean slate for those who havent followed lol... ) and from there they live their lives differently.. made different choices but still end up on 815 for some reason or another.

because when locke is asked which he already owns ... he does choose the compass... the sand... then the knife.. which seems to set Richard off... we know the compass is his already, and we can assume that the sand is from the island and he may own it... or since he is their leader... perhaps... but why did the knife set him off?? if the sand represents theisland.. why cant a knife represent his case o' knives. THATS only if the sand "represents" the island or is "actualy island sand".

I'm going with .... The bomb doesn't explode.    What I think really happened is that the incident happened just like it did the first time.    It unleashed a great deal of energy, probably sent all of our heroes back to the current time where they can battle against fake Locke.   Once they left, the Dharma Initiative probably comes and installs the failsafe key and computer terminal with the number code.   The same key that Desmond turned to discharge the energy after Locke destroyed the computer in the future.    I'm hoping there is no "do over" button.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »

I'm going with .... The bomb doesn't explode.    What I think really happened is that the incident happened just like it did the first time.    It unleashed a great deal of energy, probably sent all of our heroes back to the current time where they can battle against fake Locke.   Once they left, the Dharma Initiative probably comes and installs the failsafe key and computer terminal with the number code.   The same key that Desmond turned to discharge the energy after Locke destroyed the computer in the future.    I'm hoping there is no "do over" button.

i, too, hope there is no do over button... but theres so much making me think it might be .. it coming out on groundhogday liek the bill murray movie.. the same day repeats.. and then how TPTB keep saying how much it will e liek the 1st season...

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:43:02 PM »
If it's a do over, I might have to go down there and turn the fail safe myself.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:23:19 PM »
It can be a do over with a whole new cast and crew.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 04:45:33 PM »

id be a kick ass Ben

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »

id be a kick ass Ben
I would be a hotter Kate ;)

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
anyone would be... with her buckteeth and big ears... but yes.. yes you would