Author Topic: loop.  (Read 17263 times)

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: loop.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 09:32:52 PM »
I think what JB means is that the individual people aren't in a time loop, like in "Groundhog Day" or that episode of Buffy when the trio curse her in the magic shop. The Sawyer we meet in 2004 doesn't relive anything, so to him, it's not a loop, it's linear.

At least, I think that's what JB means. That's what I mean, at least.   :-\

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 10:28:50 PM »
Mrs A, you know how my mind works :)

Exactly... we only perceive it as linear, but it really isn't. It's like a Mobius strip. It looks like a loop, but it's really a straight line.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 03:16:34 AM »
its not a loop the the individual person, no. it's a loop to the story.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 07:59:08 PM »
Hmm... then Juggy's statement remains... there's no time loops.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 09:04:46 PM »
sounds kind of loopy to me. 

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 09:17:25 PM »
i never claimed time loop. i dont see how people dont understand what i'm saying?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 10:33:55 PM »
I think I do but but some things are well frustrating

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 12:40:06 AM »
i never claimed time loop. i dont see how people dont understand what i'm saying?

There is a loop in the story, but no one is stuck in it exactly, and... Heck I'm not even sure how to put it, but I think I get what your talking about.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
all i'm saying is:

when hurley said that in season 2... i found it pretty cool that by the end of season 5 people are thinking of some kind of loop in the story. now the loop i'm talking about isn't a time loop where people are stuck in it (bc i have no idea what that even is)

i'm talking about the idea that the children of the 70's (the losties) are alive at the same time their adult versions time traveled on the island. so therefore, they could all DIE in the 70's (but maybe they change something) so then the kid versions grow up and do everything the same except now their plane lands in LAX.

it wouldn't be as lame as everyone just disappearing from the island. it could also explain how adam and eve are two survivors that had died.

what if the first time: they all crashed on the island and traveled back and died
the second time: they all crashed and found the dead bodies (adam and even... which is really 2 of the losties death)
the third time: they all land in LAX (bc the first times were all progress)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »
It's impossible because time runs in a straight line for each character. This means that the bodies won't keep piling up because there is only one Locke, even if he is in two places at once. There is only one 12-year-old Locke and one 50-year-old Locke. Whatever 50-yo Locke does in 1970 will not affect 12-yo Locke because it has already happened.

Now granted, Locke isn't back in 1970, but stay with me.

1970 only happened once. Any event that occurs in 1970 will occur because 50-yo Locke is present there. When 50-yo Locke was 12, there was a 50-yo Locke on the island. Therefore, there are NO changes because nothing is changing. Everything is happening as history showed it happened.

A loop infers that something continues and can change. The story won't change because 50-yo Locke does something. Why? Because he has already done it.

Let's assume that Adam and Eve are Rose and Bernard (as it seems to be). This doesn't mean that this is the second time they've been to the island. It means that they get to the island and see Rose and Bernard's bodies because they died in 1970. Time travels in one direction. There isn't a loop because according to the physical laws of LOST (as I understand them), it is impossible.

Have a migraine yet? ;)

Basically the timeline is as follows:

1970: Losties are zapped back in time and arrive on island

1973: Part of the O6 meets up with the Losties. Rose and Bernard refuse to help out and eventually die.

1973-2004: Who knows what happens with the Losties and the O6 members? Various characters are born/grow up and eventually book a flight from Sydney to LAX.

2004: Oceanic 815 arrives on island and they see the remains of Rose and Bernard. The O6 are eventually rescued.

2007: The O6 attempt to go back to the island. Some are sent back to 1973, and some continue in time as normal.

Now it appears that the Losties are in some sort of Loop, but this is only possible if the Losties carry the experience over into what we see in 2004. An example of a loop is what happened in Groundhog Day. If you haven't seen it, wiki it to get the plot.

Of course, it all depends on how each person defines loop. But to me, a loop involves something being carried over and building. For instance, if there was a true loop going on, then Rose and Bernard's bodies would be piling up and there would be two sets of Adam and Eve the next iteration.

Let's use a simple computer "for loop" to describe what I'm talking about.

i=1

for i=1:10
   i=i+1
end

This loop takes the value "i" and adds 1 each time the loop is run. The loop is run 10 times. Each time, the value for "i" increases. At the end of the loop, the value of "i" is 10+1=11.

In Lost, nothing like this is happening. Therefore, in my definition of the term "loop," there is no loop.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
wowza. :-/

but if rose and bernard are adam and eve then they became adam and eve AFTER (in their linear story) they landed on the island with oceanic.

so how is that different than if john locke time traveled and died and then the kid version of him grew up and then crashed via oceanic.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »
wowza. :-/

but if rose and bernard are adam and eve then they became adam and eve AFTER (in their linear story) they landed on the island with oceanic.

so how is that different than if john locke time traveled and died and then the kid version of him grew up and then crashed via oceanic.
I'm just saying that in my definition of "loop," there is none. Adam and Eve existed on the island before Oceanic crashed. Bernard and Rose existed and died on the island before the plane crashed (see previous timeline :D ).

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 02:40:36 PM »
lol no they didn't. their linear story isn't that way. you're contradicting yourself with rose and bernard.

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 04:10:24 PM »
lol no they didn't. their linear story isn't that way. you're contradicting yourself with rose and bernard.

No he's not. they were on the island before the plane ever crashed.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 04:41:44 PM »
Exactly. Time goes in one direction. Bernard and Rose just experienced it out of order.