Author Topic: Something about Charlie that's bugging me  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Something about Charlie that's bugging me
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
Hey everyone. People are still posting in this section, so I'll give it a try here.

In 1x05 White Rabbit, There's a woman that went out for a swim and is drowning. Now, we all know the outcome is that Boone is already out there to try and save her, but Jack saves him. This isn't my beef. My beef is that Charlie ran to get Jack and in the midst of everything he says, "I'd have gone out there myself, but, I don't swim". But then in 3x21 Greatest Hits, Charlie volunteers like its no thing, to go swiming down to the looking glass because he was "a junior swimming champion in Northern England." There's even a flashback in that episode (and on his "personal greatest hits") of dad teaching him to swim.  So which is it? does Charlie just not swim (except in hopes to save Claire) or is this maybe the M.I.B. trying to (and succeeding) kill the woman in the water? I wouldn't put anything past the writers at this point.

But of course, this could just be a production error and I'm reading WAY too much into it. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Something about Charlie that's bugging me
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, and I've come up with two possibilities of my own:
1. It's a grievous error by tptb. Shame on them.
or
2. Charlie meant that he doesn't swim, not that he can't. (I know, tricky semantics, like Ben, right? lol) Joanna calls for help and Boone goes out to save her, Charlie runs to get Jack because Jack's the resident hero, and Charlie doesn't [want? feel like? care to?] swim. ??? Also.... was he still on heroin at this point? If so, maybe he knew that he couldn't swim while under the influence? That he wouldn't be able to help, and would end up drowning himself? Or maybe he was so high he actually forgot that he knew how to swim? lol... maybe that's it, I don't like thinking that tptb made such a huge mistake.  :-\

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 08:25:30 PM »
at first i noticed that as well... but i kinda put it together that he cant swim. because he said it hims self and through des' flash we know he woudl have died trying to save claire. then des came to him with yet another flash saying that he has to go down there to save claire and the baby... charlie already knows he is going to die from this all and willing to sacrifice his own life... so he lie to jack and sayid... saying anythign that he can... doing anything he can to make them say ok for him to go down there... i dont think he was teling the truth when he said he could swim.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 09:48:03 PM »
He didn't just say that he could swim, there was a flashback of him swimming when he was little, with his dad at the public pool. Whether he chooses to sacrifice himself or not, if you don't know how to swim, you don't know how to swim. I doubt he would have gotten all the way down to the Looking Glass if that was his first time in the water.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:50:55 PM »
He didn't just say that he could swim, there was a flashback of him swimming when he was little, with his dad at the public pool. Whether he chooses to sacrifice himself or not, if you don't know how to swim, you don't know how to swim. I doubt he would have gotten all the way down to the Looking Glass if that was his first time in the water.

i dont mean that it was his first time in the water... just that he isnt a good swimmer. tho good swimmer or not following a cable with rocks on isnt that hard. if your hearts into it.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
Well swimming to save someone and diving to reach a destination are really two different things. Personally I swim much better on top than underneath, opposite of him but it is feasible.  

Maybe he was also carrying the drugs with him?  But I am going with the first comment I made

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm gonna stick with my no. 2 theory, he obviously knows how to swim because we saw his flashback, and I'd like to think he knew he was impaired by the heroin enough not to be able to help Joanna. Like, "I don't swim... [when I'm high]".

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
I know what is in the guitar case = swimmies for Charlie ;D

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:02:56 PM »
lol... totally just pictured him in orange floaties with matching flippers...

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »
Yep that would be hysterical if was something so simple like that!  Oh Charlie !!!!! We miss you dude

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:59:18 AM »
Yeah, I'm gonna stick with my no. 2 theory, he obviously knows how to swim because we saw his flashback, and I'd like to think he knew he was impaired by the heroin enough not to be able to help Joanna. Like, "I don't swim... [when I'm high]".
Or he didnt want to risk dying to continue to get high...

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »
^ yeah yeah yeah!!!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:36:00 AM by JMart »

Offline justp1ayin

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »
apparently Charlie is a genius and didnt want to risk his own life so he sent Jack.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 08:49:34 AM »
He probably didn't feel like risking his life... that or he CAN swim, just not well. I can't swim that well.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »
he swam like a champ to the looking glass, yo

he just didn't want to swim that day haha