Author Topic: "I don't believe in destiny."  (Read 8377 times)

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
"I don't believe in destiny."
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »
A burning question I have from rewatching this episode. When Jack and Locke are having their "Man of science / Man of faith" discussion Jack says "I don't believe in destiny." to which Locke replies "Yes you do Jack. You just don't know it yet.". Is this guy the man or what? How did he know then that Jack would come around and be who we know him as now at the end of season 5? Did he know?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: "I don't believe in destiny."
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:52:02 PM »
It was destiny  ;)  Griz I loved that episode it had a lot of foreshadowing and always had me with goose bumps.  I will always be Lost in Locke

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »
Rather frustrated can't discuss white rabbit in that thread..mmm Well that is the one where we see Jack on the ground with the black eye from the bully

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »
Ok I can kind of see what you mean. Almost as if Locke knew it was everyone's destiny to be there and they all eventually figure that out. Case and point: Jack in season 5.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:02:13 PM »
Yes, I am trying to remember (sorry my mind is in over drive on other things) if that episode was before Locke was shown the beauty of the island through Smokey before this or after. 

I ask because if it was before perhaps he was given insight all along.  I just remember Rose and John sitting on the beach complacent as if they were given the sweet mystery of life.  Which they were as their bodies were healed.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
The conversation definitely took place after Locke had his first Smokey encounter. When he "looked into the eye of the island". So yeah, maybe he was given insight at that point.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »
The conversation definitely took place after Locke had his first Smokey encounter. When he "looked into the eye of the island". So yeah, maybe he was given insight at that point.

Thanks Griz I thought so because he had such confidence at this point, almost s much s he had in Season five.

;D

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 08:50:49 AM »
I started season 2 last night. Season 2 Locke is awesome as well as Jack. I will be watching them both closely.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 01:52:54 PM »
Griz I am not counting on you for some great new insight.  I like how you are looking at this, I will not do the re-watch until the cold weather settles in. 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 05:39:22 PM »
A burning question I have from rewatching this episode. When Jack and Locke are having their "Man of science / Man of faith" discussion Jack says "I don't believe in destiny." to which Locke replies "Yes you do Jack. You just don't know it yet.". Is this guy the man or what? How did he know then that Jack would come around and be who we know him as now at the end of season 5? Did he know?

He may have been the man in predicting Jack's change of heart, but he did not see his own demise. Locke thought he was the man of destiny and it turned out his destiny was to die and become the "loop hole" that killed Jacob. Not a great destiny for this man of vision.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
Well, I see your point Juggy - but don't throw Locke out with the bath water so fast.   ;D

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 10:50:23 AM »
The fact that his body is still kicking around, and that Illana's group is holding onto it suggests to me that the "real" Locke is not done yet. But, for this we'll have to wait and see.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »
If he comes back to life because of time or whatever I will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy.  But alas I do not hold on to much of that for now.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »
Yeah. But hyper mentioned something in another thread (forget which) about how we are thinking these changes are writing mistakes but they could actually be caused by the actions of the losties in the past. No alternate timeline, just a few things are different. I like that idea.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 04:47:32 PM »
Yes, he did and I like the premise just not sure they would be that obvious