Author Topic: Locke's Weather Prediction and Other Thoughts  (Read 2840 times)

Offline timberwolf

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Locke's Weather Prediction and Other Thoughts
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:23:38 AM »
Given what we know now about things on the island, how did Locke know that it was (paraphrase) "going to rain in one minute, give or take a few seconds?" My first thought was about when Locke took Richard and Ben into the woods where Richard would aid Locke after having been shot by Ethan.  So, unless Locke is traveling in time as early as the first season, how does he know things like the weather, even this early on in the series?  He seems so calm and collective about everything as if he already knows everything that is happening and going to happen.  So, what are some thoughts on this from all of you out there?  It seems quite possible that the Locke from the beginning of the show is actually, perhaps, from the future himself.  Let me TRY to explain my thought here.  Let's say that Locke in season 1 and on is from, say, 2014 and has traveled back in time to 2004 where he gets on the plane with Jack and Company.  This is just like how Sawyer and Company were from 2007, but went back to 1974 as if it really was 1974.  Does this make sense?

My wife just brought up the idea that Locke may even be from the future and has come back trying to convince Jack to do certain things and make different decisions.  Perhaps Locke is trying to convince Jack to fight with him instead of against him knowing that when he kills Jacob (actually we know that he has Ben kill him) that Jack will be there at that same time to fight for the "good" side.  We see this so much as Locke is always butting heads with Jack about the island, its powers, and whenever Jack makes a decision that Locke doesn't like. 

Anyway, your thoughts, please.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Locke's Weather Prediction and Other Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:33:40 AM »
Given what we know now about things on the island, how did Locke know that it was (paraphrase) "going to rain in one minute, give or take a few seconds?" My first thought was about when Locke took Richard and Ben into the woods where Richard would aid Locke after having been shot by Ethan.  So, unless Locke is traveling in time as early as the first season, how does he know things like the weather, even this early on in the series?  He seems so calm and collective about everything as if he already knows everything that is happening and going to happen.  So, what are some thoughts on this from all of you out there?  It seems quite possible that the Locke from the beginning of the show is actually, perhaps, from the future himself.  Let me TRY to explain my thought here.  Let's say that Locke in season 1 and on is from, say, 2014 and has traveled back in time to 2004 where he gets on the plane with Jack and Company.  This is just like how Sawyer and Company were from 2007, but went back to 1974 as if it really was 1974.  Does this make sense?

My wife just brought up the idea that Locke may even be from the future and has come back trying to convince Jack to do certain things and make different decisions.  Perhaps Locke is trying to convince Jack to fight with him instead of against him knowing that when he kills Jacob (actually we know that he has Ben kill him) that Jack will be there at that same time to fight for the "good" side.  We see this so much as Locke is always butting heads with Jack about the island, its powers, and whenever Jack makes a decision that Locke doesn't like. 

Anyway, your thoughts, please.

Hey im rewatcihng the series from season 1 myself.. im about halfway through S1 anyway...i know what youre talking about how Locke always seems like he's going with the flow never challenging the authority descicion... never forcing but always putting in his 2 cents... plausible that he knows cuz he is from the future... but yet... in a way not... how can he be in the past when he is dead in the crate? with only one season left i think we are to take things as we see them... unless they say that actually wasnt Locke in the crate. but if he is dead in the crate... how can he go back to manipulate the 815 present... but who knows.. i dont even have enough to back up my rebuttle.. lol... let me know man id like to discuss this...

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:09:39 AM »
Locke does seem to know things early on in the series. But there is a lot he doesn't seem to know at the same time. The whole thing with the hatch... you'd think if he was from the future and knew all this was going to happen he would have known exactly what the hatch was and what was inside it. Unless its all an act to get the others to make choices based on their feelings and thoughts. The whole free will vs. destiny thing. But then again, Locke believes in destiny.

Offline timberwolf

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
BadRobot64, it's quite possible for Locke to be from the future and still dead; just like Faraday is from the future and dies in the past.

grizn0, I think that a lot, if not all, of it is an act.  You wouldn't be able to convince people very well and you'd find people VERY suspicious if they knew that you already knew everything.  Especially after the Ethan surprise incident. 

Anyway, maybe this doesn't hold enough water to be true, but it's all at the front of my mind as I go back and watch all of the episodes.  I'm looking out for clues to support our idea here.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:47:58 AM »
Yeah, I'm not saying anything for sure. The only thing I'm wondering about is the night Boone dies he goes back and bangs on the hatch and all that. Nobody is around... so why keep the act up?

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »
well maybe like jacob "touched" each one of the O6, and which is a theory thats floating around possesed in a way all of them... like a parasite... living in but not taking over. thats why in the alone times... Locke was Locke... but when Locke was killed the Locke- alike too the form and took over and was released when Locke died. maybe? but then again i dont think they gave us enough info at all to make any good theories... dont they usually give us just a lil more?

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 02:02:35 PM »
I like that idea. So what you're saying is that since Jacob touched him when he fell out of the window, he was able to tell him things maybe subconciously?

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 03:11:12 PM »
I like that idea. So what you're saying is that since Jacob touched him when he fell out of the window, he was able to tell him things maybe subconciously?

ya i think i am... each one that he touched... liek when the man in black said " i dont have to ask you how they got here.. i know you brought them here... " and like Jacob said to Jack... all it needs is a little push... maybe when jacob touches he gives them that push wether it be a subconscious urge to gravitate to their destiny.

somethign kind of separate... as im rewatchign the series... im starting to think that Jacob is taken the shape of Vincent. white lab???? always there helping and urging ppl and situations...

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 03:14:10 PM »
That would make a lot of sense. There are a couple ominous shots of Vincent early on in the series. And yeah, he does help things and people along on more than one occasion.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 03:16:19 PM »
That would make a lot of sense. There are a couple ominous shots of Vincent early on in the series. And yeah, he does help things and people along on more than one occasion.

ive always thought somethign more about vincent anyway... i mean ... he is always with someone that has just lost someone or is in the need of comapny at the moment... walt, shannon rose and bernard... then vincent kept uncovering the bodies of Nikki and Palo while sawyer and hugo were diging their grave... but who knows...

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »
Well, he is supposed to be there at the end isn't he? I think they have said that. And Bob... here's the source  ;D (I'm learning!)

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vincent

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 03:56:46 PM »
Vincent played a big role in the Pilot (I noticed while watching last night).

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »
Vincent played a big role in the Pilot (I noticed while watching last night).

Ya as im rewatchign the series over im about at ".. in translation" and im noticing alot where Vincent is "helping" people in one way .. or playing abig role in things... when the polar bear is about to attack Walt... vincent senses it and tries to keep it at bay.. before he runs away ... and even in the mobisode invoilving sun burying her liscence an michael coems and they are abotu to kiss... and vincent comes out of the woods right as their lips are going to touch... somethings up with that pooch..