Author Topic: not happy with who jacob turned out to be  (Read 1552 times)

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
not happy with who jacob turned out to be
« on: May 29, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »
is anyone else not happy with who jacob turned out to be? this guy who plays the character is just plain ..he looks like he is sick or something , 'm  not too impressed with him ..even in the final scene  he didnt react enough ...it would have been better if the middle aged charles widmore had played the role of jacob ...its not fair to blame the actor playing the role becoz the character has been so hyped and everyone imagined  him to be someone or other but i was a little disappointed ...  and to jacob fans dont crucify me for saying so

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: not happy with who jacob turned out to be
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:44:04 PM »
I actually enjoyed the understated way he played Jacob. I got the impression of someone who knows more than he is letting on and is wise. He is powerful but does not have to scare people or throw fire and brimstone.

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:28:57 AM »
He wasn't what I expected - I pictured someone older, more wise-looking.  But I thought the actor was terrific - his line readings, smug attitude, knowing look on his face, etc.  I loved how he played the role, and it totally threw me for a loop.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 04:09:19 AM »
I don't think its really fair to make that judgment yet, because we don't know what Jacob is or what motivates him

did he allow his death to happen so he can rise stronger than before, like when Obi Wan Kanobi allowed himself to be killed in the first star wars movie ?

he may be playing the role understated, but be working some devious mischief in the background - maybe causing the incident 30 years earlier

I liked his nonchalant, non caring reaction when Locke fell out the window, I like how he allowed Sayid's wife to die when he could have saved her

I've got this feeling he's a real evil char who's completely in control but he's just letting anti jacob and ben do whatever they want to see how far they'd go, what their true feelings are and where their loyalties really lie

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 05:06:36 PM »
I liked the way he was portrayed physically...sort of an "every man."

I've been wondering though...is the guy off island really the Jacob that we see in the first 60 seconds, or can the other guy also take his form? I have nothing to base this on...just that my subconscious is trying to tell me something and it is just starting to bubble up. How do we know these two guys stay constant throughout?

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »
Considering I thought Jacob was a figment of Locke's imagination that he unknowingly invented for the others in 1954, yeah Jacob is not who I thought he would be.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:04:39 PM »
is anyone else not happy with who jacob turned out to be? this guy who plays the character is just plain ..he looks like he is sick or something , 'm  not too impressed with him ..even in the final scene  he didnt react enough ...it would have been better if the middle aged charles widmore had played the role of jacob ...its not fair to blame the actor playing the role becoz the character has been so hyped and everyone imagined  him to be someone or other but i was a little disappointed ...  and to jacob fans dont crucify me for saying so

I agree but i dont... i agree that we all expdected it to be someone that we already "know" from the show... but i disagree when you say it was a bad choice of an actor... He plays it well... he plays it smug... maybe... or just learned? meaning that he seems that he has lived this extraordinary long life and he is experienced and plays it cool, because he is the man of the light. smug? no.. serene.
I don't think its really fair to make that judgment yet, because we don't know what Jacob is or what motivates him

did he allow his death to happen so he can rise stronger than before, like when Obi Wan Kanobi allowed himself to be killed in the first star wars movie ?

he may be playing the role understated, but be working some devious mischief in the background - maybe causing the incident 30 years earlier

I liked his nonchalant, non caring reaction when Locke fell out the window, I like how he allowed Sayid's wife to die when he could have saved her

I've got this feeling he's a real evil char who's completely in control but he's just letting anti jacob and ben do whatever they want to see how far they'd go, what their true feelings are and where their loyalties really lie

I do agree i did get the Obi Wan vibe from him in his death scene too... for a "man" thats supposed to be all powerful as Jacob has portreyed to be... even with the loophole id think he would see coming... and become a Pheonix Martyr.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »
I really liked Jacob! I thought the actor that played him did an awesome job!

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 07:39:41 PM »
I had no idea what/who Jacob would turn out to be and so was totally surprised when he turned out to be a guy from at least the 1700's. I am OK with who he turned out to be and am sure we will find out more about him next season.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 06:07:20 PM »
I think Jacob was played well.  He is so powerful he does not have to show it; he is content to live a paastoral life, fishing for his own food and keeping things simple.  I think he knows he will be killed, and that he will be resurrected.  That is kind of why I equate him with Osiris, and the Notjacob with Set. 

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 02:20:09 AM »
I think Jacob was played well.  He is so powerful he does not have to show it; he is content to live a paastoral life, fishing for his own food and keeping things simple.  I think he knows he will be killed, and that he will be resurrected.  That is kind of why I equate him with Osiris, and the Notjacob with Set. 
ya more and more i agree with this