Poll

What happened when Juliet struck the nuke, given its probable destructive capability? (See Background info.) Please read all choices before answering and think carefully about the implications to characters and post-Incident events.

The bomb detonated correctly—albeit underground—and created an enormous crater and a massive firestorm.
4 (16.7%)
The bomb detonated correctly, but the electromagnetism somehow contained the majority of the explosion. No massive crater or firestorm.
6 (25%)
The bomb detonated, but only the primary stage went off; therefore the explosion was relatively small and contained. (Insight: “Swan” was the name of a then-popular primary stage design. This answer implies that the only the bomb’s Swan device exploded.)
3 (12.5%)
The bomb did not detonate. The fade-to-white ending was used to mislead viewers.
8 (33.3%)
Other
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: What happened when Juliet struck the nuke?  (Read 3765 times)

Offline devenezy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
What happened when Juliet struck the nuke?
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:45:55 PM »
Background info from Wikipedia:
Jughead appeared on the Island in 1954—the very same year the US conducted a series of high-yield thermonuclear tests in the South Pacific dubbed Operation Castle. The average bomb during 1954’s Operation Castle had a yield that was roughly 500 times greater than the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima. The craters left from these bombs were expected to be approximately 1 mile in diameter.

Offline Nelix

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: What happened when Juliet struck the nuke?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:17:09 AM »
I believe the white flash was another time jump and all the losties end up in 2007, hence the comment Jacob made...."There Coming". This also means the bomb is still in one piece and is only exploded when Desmond turns the failsafe.

Nelix
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:58:18 PM by Nelix »

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 10:57:40 PM »
I am sure the blast from the bomb somehow transports them to 2007.

Offline kla

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:35:20 PM »
I agree that the white light was another time jump (possibly caused by the explosion), but I'm not sure about them returning to 2007.  I heard Ben (can't think of his real name) doing an interview on a local Orlando station (by phone) and when the DJ asked him if the group in 1977 would get back to 2007, he said, "I'm not sure you should be thinking that way."  Of course, he wouldn't elaborate on it any further.

Doesn't mean they won't all get back to the same time, but just not to the present time that they left.  I guess... If the explosion worked as planned, then they would return to Flight 815's time, not the actual present.  Jeez, I feel like I'm in a time warp myself.

Ben also mentioned in the interview that he and his wife discussed the issues of time travel and Faraday's Mom sending him back in time to be shot by her, and the whole idea that what's done is done... but what if it's not done yet, etc. etc. and he said they were totally confused too.  It was funny.

Offline infrared41

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 11:42:51 PM »
I think the light was the exact same thing that happened when Desmond turned the fail safe key. The energy was released and the "incident" occurred. The bomb never went off. If it had been refitted correctly by Sayid then it would have went off when it hit the bottom. The bomb not detonating was the exact same thing as when Michael couldn't shoot himself. The bomb wasn't supposed to go off so the island didn't let it.  Whatever happened, happened kids. Twas ever thus.

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »
Jughead appeared on the Island in 1954—the very same year the US conducted a series of high-yield thermonuclear tests in the South Pacific dubbed Operation Castle. The average bomb during 1954’s Operation Castle had a yield that was roughly 500 times greater than the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima. The craters left from these bombs were expected to be approximately 1 mile in diameter.

But isn't it the case that an A-Bomb uses TNT to cause the atomic chain reaction, an H-Bomb uses a small A-Bomb to cause the much larger chain reaction?
What they took from Jughead was the A-Bomb trigger, not the larger H-Bomb complete. I've read that the triggers for H-Bombs of the era were far too large and heavy to be transported as shown in the episode but that's not an important nit to pick IMHO. I think that the trigger would probably be no larger (if not in fact smaller) than the WWII bombs.
Still, if it did go off w/o interference from the EM thingie it's going to leave a hole. Perhaps a small one but with enough radiation to require Chernobyl-like quantities of concrete to contain, and maybe leave the EM thingie in such a state that some kind of pressure relief system would have had to be improvised.
That's my theory: The bomb goes off, but their attempts to change the future is what causes the future as they know it.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »

But isn't it the case that an A-Bomb uses TNT to cause the atomic chain reaction, an H-Bomb uses a small A-Bomb to cause the much larger chain reaction?
What they took from Jughead was the A-Bomb trigger, not the larger H-Bomb complete. I've read that the triggers for H-Bombs of the era were far too large and heavy to be transported as shown in the episode but that's not an important nit to pick IMHO. I think that the trigger would probably be no larger (if not in fact smaller) than the WWII bombs.
Still, if it did go off w/o interference from the EM thingie it's going to leave a hole. Perhaps a small one but with enough radiation to require Chernobyl-like quantities of concrete to contain, and maybe leave the EM thingie in such a state that some kind of pressure relief system would have had to be improvised.
That's my theory: The bomb goes off, but their attempts to change the future is what causes the future as they know it.
Oh Eelpie how I have missed seeing you about and that was perfect I mean perfect and I do so agree with you!!!!!!!!! 

Offline rwarren5

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 03:01:18 AM »
I believe the bomb did go off. It explains the "event" that happened sometime after 1977 that stopped women from bearing children on the island. Low level radiation.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:14:22 AM »
well if it was that, wouldn't they have figured that out pretty quickly.  Not dissing this thought but that would have been an obvious.  Ben would have known the bomb went off as well as other folks.  But the other thing is that they make it to first trimester and they can have the baby off island with no issues.

So, if it were low level radiation it would not be a full term child period, I would think.  Also prior to this they appeared to want the women to have the children off the island period. 

Again if it is that simple then we have been brought down a path of what the heck?!

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
they were flashed to the year 2010 and then it exploded... so in 2010 everyone dies. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNN

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
i think another time jump happned... the bomb didnt detonate, and everythign happened as it should have... the end... pfft i dotn know.... cant wait tho

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »
I think they jump to Sept 2004 on the plane (or where every they where at the moment when Desmond failed to push the button the first time and caused the plane to crash) with all their memories still intact!  Now that would be awesome!!!  The Losties would know everything about the Others. Juliet would be aware at that moment in the Others' village. And Miles on the mainland.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »
i too think that they all reset to the moment the Swan crashed the plane... and also like desmond they all have their memories in tact and then have to get back to the island to face whatever they have to... does this mean another plane crash? or will they go to the lampost again?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »
I am sure the blast from the bomb somehow transports them to 2007.

:)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 09:24:09 PM »
yeah things will work out with this entire situation