Author Topic: in the SHADOW?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline mushermellon

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
in the SHADOW?
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:00:25 PM »
Is anyone interested that the code phrase says IN THE SHADOW of the statue and not UNDER?  Maybe nitpicking.

Offline devenezy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: in the SHADOW?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »
When I hear “under the shadow of” I think “under the influence/control of” (eg Under the shadow of the law). Therefore, use of the word “under” connotes a compliant relationship.

However, the expression “in the shadow of” makes me think of a comparison to an exemplar (eg In the shadow of an older brother) or the aftermath of a tragedy/struggle/error (eg In the shadow of The Holocaust/slavery/Bush).

The other way to interpret either phrase is literally. Given Richard’s answer, “in the shadow of” makes more sense to me.

The other question we should be asking is which definition of “lies” is correct? Is it “dwells” or is it “deceives”? Depending on the answer, the identity of Richard and Ilana’s savior/protector could change.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:29:15 PM »
frankly I think we have read into this way to much.  I don't think it is anymore than a phrase they had been using to confirm who is part of their group

Offline mushermellon

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:37:06 PM »
Very interesting thoughts.  I thought that too, about "lies" going either way.  I was also commenting on the fact that folks seem to assume that Jacob living under the statue answers this question.

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 02:42:06 AM »
I don't think there is such a thing as "reading too much into" anything when it comes to LOST.  This is very interesting.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 06:46:48 AM »
Very interesting thoughts.  I thought that too, about "lies" going either way.  I was also commenting on the fact that folks seem to assume that Jacob living under the statue answers this question.
Oh well, I didn't look at it that way.  I understand you point now, but I am still thinking there is little left to this. But I have been wrong before, I will be checking in to see if we get some more input.

Nice meeting you musermellon

Offline kayd_mon

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:36:51 AM »
I figured that since there's an open ceiling to Jacob's home in the statue, there would always be some sort of shadow cast there, even if it was high noon.  While there was no obvious opening in the ceiling while the statue was standing, it stands to reason that there was, simply because Jacob's fire would have to have some ventilation.

Offline TeamJLA

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 07:06:38 PM »
I posted a thread in the theories & speculation section that touched on this phrase a little bit.  It's under "Word play and Misdirection" if you want to take a look.  In a show where every written text seems to have an anagram in it, you have to over think this phrase.  It bothered me a little bit that the question of "What lies..." was answered with "He who..."  We jumped from What to Who in the blink of an eye.  Ilana seemed happy with Richards answer because she didn't hit him with her gun, but was it the final answer?  We'll have to wait and see.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:27:20 PM »
Oh wait I know but it is buried in e-mail. My friend took latin in school and understood.

Eeeks must find that now.  I will be back, to share

Offline infrared41

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
What "lies" in the shadow of the statue? Well there are a bunch of ways to look at it...

1. The obvious. It's Jacob. Jacob may lie (as in Jacob may not be telling the truth) or lies (as in this is where you'll find him.)
2. Locke not only lies (as in on the ground) he also lies (as in he's not who he says he is.)
3. Jacob's abode.
4. Richard Alpert in either sense. As in this may have been a predetermined meeting point. Remember, Ilana did not know Richard on sight.
5. It's just a code phrase so Ilana and Bram can find who they're looking for.

I think the wording of that line was intentionally ambiguous. It opens up a number of possible answers but more importantly, it keeps us talking about LOST for the next 6 months.

Personally, I am going with number 5. Sometimes a banana is just a banana.  ;)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 10:57:05 PM »
If I ask:

"Where are threads spun, late into the night?"

You say:

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline mushermellon

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 10:59:54 PM »
under the shadow of losing my job from lack of sleep