Author Topic: It's Solved! The "Man in Black" is Smokey and Can Appear as Dead People ...  (Read 1141 times)

Offline danKing

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
So we saw it all on the finale ...

The "Man in Black" in the beginning of the episode who is talking to Jacob as the ship is approaching is the black smoke, and can take on the form of dead people.  He appears as John's father (including in the shack) several times, as Ben's daughter in the temple, and now, since the second plane crash, as Locke.  As Locke, he has manipulated Ben to kill Jacob which is the loop-hole he has been looking for, since he can not kill Jacob himself. 

The question now is, if the bomb changes everything, will Jacob really have been killed?  Season 6 and an alternative timeline, here we come!

Thoughts?

Offline katbriil

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=9547.0 We were discussing whether the man in black (Loophole Locke, Esau, Man #2, whatever) = Smokey in this thread.

Offline spencer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Two Immortal Shapeshifters Experimenting with the World
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 05:18:10 PM »
ok, we have Jacob and Esau/Hanso (nobody has mentioned the name recently) talking about luring
another ship to the island
E/H says it leads to greed and corruption
Jacob says it's progress.
Are they talking about giving power to people that shipwreck on the island?
have all the ghosts been Esau/Hanso all along?
Will the Flannery O'Connor/The Odyssey/Bible references apply?

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
I posted this in the "Dead is Dead" section, about Ben being unable to summon Smokey, and then Smokey only appearing as Alex when Locke is out of sight.  I think what happened last night shows that this was more or less correct - Locke was in fact Smokey, which gives credence to the idea that Jacob's nemesis is in fact Smokey.

"Just thinking about this, and, it occurs to me that after Ben summoned Smokey, only Locke appeared.  No Smokey as Ben expected.  Then Smokey only appears later once Locke is left behind above where the floor collapsed.  Then, and only then, when Ben is apart from Locke does Smokey appear in his familiar form.  We then only see Locke again after Smokey is gone.  And Smokey (in the form of Alex) tells Ben to listen to Locke, or else.

I say Ben is right.  Dead is dead.  You don't get to come back from death.  That's not really Locke walking around.  It is, in fact, Smokey taking Locke's form.  That's why Smokey doesn't appear (as the smoke monster) when summoned - he can't appear in that form, because he's already there, in the form of Locke.  And although I can come up with other reasons why Smokey, as Alex, might be a wee bit pissed at Ben for already plotting the demise of Locke, yet again, if Smokey is Locke it fits in with "Alex" telling Ben to listen to Locke, or else. "

Of course, why Smokey / Jacob's nemesis wanted Ben to listen to Locke (aka himself) even to the point of threatening him is now quite clear - when the time comes, you WILL kill Jacob as I (er, uh, Locke!) tells you to!

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
He appears as John's father (including in the shack) several times,

Huh??

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
He appears as John's father (including in the shack) several times,

Huh??

I think he meant Jack's dad.

Offline griffinx1

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
I agree that Smokey is also the "man in black" that some are calling Esau. That name really fits since we have a Jacob in the mix, plus he is hairy.

But Hanso? We do know that Magnus Hanso, the great grandfather of Alvar Hanso (founder of the Hanso Foundation) was the ship captain of the Black Rock and that a Widmore was the 1st mate. We saw Charles Widmore at an auction early on (season 4 I think) bidding on a journal from this relative Widmore. Thus, it ties it all together.

In the Lost Experience ARG, Alvar Hanso was a big player, along with Paik and Widmore being funders of the Hanso Foundation. They were all trying to get back to the Island to find out what happened to DHARMA.

Bottom line - I think Smokey is this Esau character and he can only be smokey, or a person that has died and is on the Island (like Libby, Anna Lucia, Christian, etc). That would mean Boone and Ethan or any of the other deadites could come back too including Mr Eko. Scary thought...

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
I have a weird suspicion that Dead is Dead stands even if the bomb goes off and everything is rewritten....I mean it's cool that they managed to make the flight not crash but anyone who died during the events that took place should be dead or erased from the timeline?....Im not so sure...anyway Smokey is more primal, more like a hound than a human...i think Black Shirt Dude is like Smokey's grand master (even tho Ben could summon him). Black Shirt seems to proud and too "above humans" to be a summonable pet but he still made Smokey and gave gim his power (to impersonate dead people). But then another question stands...why was the temple considered safe? Even if we assume that Smokey=Esau this question still hangs....are you sure Jacob and Esau aren't really on the same sort of side? Maybe same objectives? Why would Esau give shelter to the ppl who obey Jacobs every word? Or was it not Jacob controlling them all along but Esau posing as Jacob? But then how did Richard know the diff?....Is Richard himself one of them? Maybe the neutral or messenger part?

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
I have a weird suspicion that Dead is Dead stands even if the bomb goes off and everything is rewritten....I mean it's cool that they managed to make the flight not crash but anyone who died during the events that took place should be dead or erased from the timeline?....Im not so sure...anyway Smokey is more primal, more like a hound than a human...i think Black Shirt Dude is like Smokey's grand master (even tho Ben could summon him). Black Shirt seems to proud and too "above humans" to be a summonable pet but he still made Smokey and gave gim his power (to impersonate dead people). But then another question stands...why was the temple considered safe? Even if we assume that Smokey=Esau this question still hangs....are you sure Jacob and Esau aren't really on the same sort of side? Maybe same objectives? Why would Esau give shelter to the ppl who obey Jacobs every word? Or was it not Jacob controlling them all along but Esau posing as Jacob? But then how did Richard know the diff?....Is Richard himself one of them? Maybe the neutral or messenger part?

While I do agree that Man 2 deffinitely seems like he's "above humans", it is possible that whatever his plan was included him acting subservient in order to lull the others into a sense of trust.