Author Topic: Should I dare say it?  (Read 3448 times)

Offline DaveJohnson

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Should I dare say it?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »
I liked it more when there were just mysterious jungle monsters and fake peanut butter :(

I'm glad you said it.

Don't get me wrong - love Lost, watch faithfully, spend the next days lurking Sledge & lostpedia & all that.. but...

I did like it when DI was completely mysterious. When we wondered about the numbers, about Alvar Hanso, about that crazy light from the Hatch...

I know such a show is unsustainable over so many seasons, but I still miss that first season. I watched it on DVD, and the wife and I literally spent a weekend watching just Lost. We should probably be charged with child neglect...

I mourn most of all the loss of the DI. Remember the pile of report tubes? What happend to that? The Pearl? It seemed like everything was underground, hidden and mysterious. Now all we see of DI are a bunch of people being busybodies... fixing cars, cooking & cleaning.

Now, I'm thinking the bomb is the 'Incident' (Candle did bash up his hand), and DI will continue on the Island for some time more (until the Purge), and we will find out about The Pearl and all those other weird things.. but still... :'(

Offline PandaXpres

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 12:30:14 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit like when you find out that a magic trick wasn't magic at all, but just an illusion.  It's a lot cooler when you thought it was magic.

Exactly!!!

Offline PandaXpres

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »
I liked it more when there were just mysterious jungle monsters and fake peanut butter :(

I'm glad you said it.

Don't get me wrong - love Lost, watch faithfully, spend the next days lurking Sledge & lostpedia & all that.. but...

I did like it when DI was completely mysterious. When we wondered about the numbers, about Alvar Hanso, about that crazy light from the Hatch...

I know such a show is unsustainable over so many seasons, but I still miss that first season. I watched it on DVD, and the wife and I literally spent a weekend watching just Lost. We should probably be charged with child neglect...

I mourn most of all the loss of the DI. Remember the pile of report tubes? What happend to that? The Pearl? It seemed like everything was underground, hidden and mysterious. Now all we see of DI are a bunch of people being busybodies... fixing cars, cooking & cleaning.

Now, I'm thinking the bomb is the 'Incident' (Candle did bash up his hand), and DI will continue on the Island for some time more (until the Purge), and we will find out about The Pearl and all those other weird things.. but still... :'(

Exactly! If LOST had ended after season 2 or 3 or even 4 without answering any of the big questions I think it would of been amazing. We would be wanting more, but never receiving it and using our imagination to end the show. I guess when you have the biggest show on TV, that is out of the question unfortunately

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 10:03:05 PM »
Nah, I thought this episode was phenomenal. It gave us a lot of answers, a great new character (guy in black) and a whole new perspective. This episode redeemed four seasons of stalling and partial answers.

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »

i kind of agree. the last two seasons were great but i think the writers changed the story after season two. what was the deal with walt and his being special? we never found out and we never will. im a lil p.o.d bout that. i liked it when we got 4000 questions and like 100 answers not 50000 questions and 500 answers.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 10:41:48 PM »
I like this thread!

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 10:47:51 PM »
Well, they did drop a few storylines. They probably wanted to do more with Walt, but couldn't cope with the aging. Mr. Eko was supposed to play a bigger role, but they had to kill him since the actor wanted out. Maybe Eko would have been possessed by Mr. Black Shirt instead of Locke or something. They also dropped Ana Lucia's army, Libby's past and pretty much of all the tail section storyline. Charlotte's story died with the writer's strike, and The Valenzetti thing could not make it to the show. Also, I'm not sure Desmond will be a part of season 6.

But they continued other storylines pretty good, such as the hatch, the Others (s.3 onwards), Widmore (s.4), The Dharma Initiative, The polar bears (wheel, Dharma-zoo), the statue, Eloise, John Locke (whose story was wrapped in episode 7, but only find out now), Pierre Chang (limp arm), Radzinsky and Horace (leaders), Smokie (lots of progress), The French Crew, Cassidy, Aaron, Ethan, Richard (we know he's black rock). They did give us answers.

I'm not all satisfied with the way they presented the DI - no clue to their purpose, except for Radzinsky's "changing the world" speech, but I can let that pass, since the finale was such a great episode, both informationally and emotionally.

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 11:09:25 PM »
Well, they did drop a few storylines. They probably wanted to do more with Walt, but couldn't cope with the aging. Mr. Eko was supposed to play a bigger role, but they had to kill him since the actor wanted out. Maybe Eko would have been possessed by Mr. Black Shirt instead of Locke or something. They also dropped Ana Lucia's army, Libby's past and pretty much of all the tail section storyline. Charlotte's story died with the writer's strike, and The Valenzetti thing could not make it to the show. Also, I'm not sure Desmond will be a part of season 6.

But they continued other storylines pretty good, such as the hatch, the Others (s.3 onwards), Widmore (s.4), The Dharma Initiative, The polar bears (wheel, Dharma-zoo), the statue, Eloise, John Locke (whose story was wrapped in episode 7, but only find out now), Pierre Chang (limp arm), Radzinsky and Horace (leaders), Smokie (lots of progress), The French Crew, Cassidy, Aaron, Ethan, Richard (we know he's black rock). They did give us answers.

I'm not all satisfied with the way they presented the DI - no clue to their purpose, except for Radzinsky's "changing the world" speech, but I can let that pass, since the finale was such a great episode, both informationally and emotionally.

when were we told this? did i miss something last night?

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 11:31:18 PM »
OK, we don't 'know' know, but it sure seems that way. Once upon a time there were two gods. One of them made a pirate ship crash on the island. He froze the age of one of them (the captain maybe) and the rest is history. Yeah, it's a bit of speculation, but since Richard isn't omniscient, the fact that he's building that boat, and the fact that the Others are simple people following Jacob via Richard, it would seem that they are descendants of the Black Rock, at least some of them. Could be wrong though, but it explains a lot of things.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 11:40:11 PM »
I see where you are coming from. Season 1 was tremendous.

As for me, the show keeps getting better each season.
- The season 2 opener with Mama Cass singing and then boom we realize we are not off-island, but inside the hatch..epic.
- Ben Linus
- The season 3 finale where we realize we were watching flash forwards and not flashbacks..genius. ("We have to go back Kate!" still gives me goosebumps)

Then seriously, what I just watched last night...for me...was the best episode yet.

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 03:40:44 PM »
I think Blitz Wing is right - it's about innocence. Gaining knowledge is a double-bladed sword.

My husband and I were talking the other day that (not only with all the biblical references) LOST is a lot like the Bible, when supernatural things happened to people almost everyday. Moreover you really have to read the whole Bible to know what it's all about... which on the other hand is not a big deal since you can say that about every book :/
Anyway, the "SF factor" of the Bible is not the point. Just like the super powers of the island are not the point.

And I just realised that what I like about the show is the idea to create a whole story. I like the fact that LOST is more like say Twin Peaks than CSI for instance.

But I feel your pain.

Offline infrared41

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 08:39:04 PM »

No argument here. Once the time travel thing started I was worried we were about to see Gilligan's Island meets Back To The Future. We may still see just that. Hopefully the introduction of Jacob and "Not-Jacob" will bring back some of the mystery. I don't mind a mix of both but before the finale I was certain that all the mystery had been left at the curb.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 05:45:22 AM »
I guess it depends on what you're getting out of watching a show like Lost.

I suppose some people watch the show for the mystery....the question. They don't want the answer because they're so enthralled by the Question and want to find their own interpretation of the "Answer" or all the endless possible "Answers".

Meanwhile I suppose there's some of people who are more concerned with the Answer. The questions are mearly there to be Answered....and there has to be a definite satisfying answer, and they will not accept no answer or that they're supposed to make up their own answer.

Then I suppose there's everybody else inbetween who follows all the questions & clues to come up with answers....either because the questions are fun to theorize about, or hoping to finding the true answer and being right.

Offline infrared41

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »
I guess it depends on what you're getting out of watching a show like Lost.

I suppose some people watch the show for the mystery....the question. They don't want the answer because they're so enthralled by the Question and want to find their own interpretation of the "Answer" or all the endless possible "Answers".

Meanwhile I suppose there's some of people who are more concerned with the Answer. The questions are mearly there to be Answered....and there has to be a definite satisfying answer, and they will not accept no answer or that they're supposed to make up their own answer.

Then I suppose there's everybody else inbetween who follows all the questions & clues to come up with answers....either because the questions are fun to theorize about, or hoping to finding the true answer and being right.

Well said. To me the answers have not been nearly as interesting as the questions they were answering. I was losing a little hope until the finale. Now the mystery has returned and I'm hopeful we'll see a satisfying mix of what makes the show so great to all it's fans. There was never a point along the way where I didn't think LOST was easily the best show on television. They were never in danger of "losing me." I just think for a while there during season 5 the writers were walking a really fine line. The show could have easily jumped the tracks (or shark as it were...) and ended up in a place where all the great writing of seasons past may have been wasted on too simple an answer.

In my opinion, what makes LOST so great is that it is a show that operates at so many levels. If you're looking for a show that tackles big philosophical questions etc. LOST has that. You like plain old mysteries? LOST has that too. If you're more into Sci-Fi well LOST has you covered there as well. Perhaps you just like a good action-adventure show. Again, LOST delivers. We get so caught up in what our particular interests are in the show that we often miss just how incredible the writing is on LOST. Most shows can barely deliver on any one of the subjects I listed. LOST manages to be pretty good on all of them. If you ask me, that's pretty damned impressive.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
I have mixed emotions about the show at this point.  I have been a loyal viewer and JJ did a good job about explaining the mystery box in a speech he gave.  I came to enjoy the ride of LOST for that reason. 

So in the end yes, it had to change, evolve whatever, but when you look back you were being driven through some interesting stuff that piqued curiousity in some and then others who didn't want to know a thing.

I think this has been said, but I will say it again, we all walked off with somethign from this show