Poll

What are we going to call Jacob's "nemesis"?

Nemesis
6 (8.2%)
Man #2
9 (12.3%)
Mr. Black
5 (6.8%)
Mr. Blackshirt
7 (9.6%)
Esau
24 (32.9%)
Loophole Locke
11 (15.1%)
Loophole Larry
0 (0%)
Mr. Smokey
0 (0%)
Dude Bag
0 (0%)
Flocke (Fake Locke)
7 (9.6%)
Puppetmaster
1 (1.4%)
Bad Twin
3 (4.1%)
Samuel
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: What are we going to call Jacob's "nemesis"?  (Read 9513 times)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: What are we going to call Jacob's "nemesis"?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »
Oh, we're all always hoping that.  If they can read Doc Jensen, they should at least give us a smidge.  :D

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
grizn0, if loophole locke catches on, you and I will have started an alliterative moniker for this dude, one that might stick or even make it into the show. I hope Darlton are reading this!
I hope it does. So far Esau is still winning though.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »
Loophole Locke. It works the best because we know for sure that is what he is. We don't know at all if TPTB are basing the character on Esau.

Offline Captain Falafel

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
I vote we call him Johnny Cash... because there is only one "Man in Black".

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 05:21:42 PM »
Flagg

Offline howsitallgoingtoend

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »
I will also say that I refuse to adhere to the results of this survey unless the choice I voted for, Loophole Locke, wins.  :D

ditto  ;D

Offline CameronLee

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »
Unlocke is my choice can you put it up? xD

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 06:01:29 PM »
I like unlocke also...but since it wasn't included, loophole locke is the closest thing. I don't care...I just don't like calling him Esau because it is too too too cliche, too obvious, too unimaginative. I hope he is someone/something incredible!

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 10:55:20 PM »
I am officially calling him Bocaj.  I don't care if anyone else is on board.  Just know that when I use the name Bocaj, I'm speaking of the Anti-Jacob.  Oh...I may call him that too.

It's official, in my book he is Bocaj and/or Anti-Jacob. AJ for short.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »
That's actually very clever!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 10:58:46 PM »
Esau is a huge assumption people. Remember alot of us thought the statue was Anubis.

I say we call him based on what we know so far. (not much)

I vote Mr. Black because Resevoir Dogs is a badass movie.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 10:59:29 PM »
Or like Mister Hate.  :D

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 11:00:21 PM »

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »
I haven't read all the comments, so bear with me here, but...

I voted for Man 2 because that's how IMDB lists him, but as Stagger Lee has pointed out to me, on Lostpedia, the casting call for actors to play him has his name listed as Samuel, so I think it might be prudent that we stick with that. Other than that, I'm just ccalling him Man 2.

Offline Adriana

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »
Is this poll closed?

I think it would behoove us to look for ONE NAME to define him ALL OF THE TIME, despite whatever form he may be in at any given time, and also have a couple of fun names to call him that are defined by his changing appearances.  In my opinion, some of these names are wiser than others:

*FACTS
He is the "Anti-Jacob" -- hence Anti-Jacob or AJ still fit within our understanding of this person.
He is a fake Locke (UnLocke/Loophole Locke/Fake Locke) -- he used Locke's body but it wasn't really Locke (I prefer UnLocke because it looks cool and has "unlock the mystery" implications.  Woot for double-meanings.)
Esau is the Biblical nemesis of his brother Jacob -- I don't think anyone actually thinks his name will be Esau, but in many of our books, this name is synonyms with "Anti-Jacob". And I like it for its symbolism.

SPECULATION
Mr. Smokey -- we can theorize but can't really know yet if he IS the embodiment of Smokey.  PLUS -- we need to differentiate between Smokey the wafting smoke monster and "Smokey" the man who is opposing Jacob.  It might get too confusing to have a "Smokey" and a "Mr. Smokey" because we'll get the man-from confused with the smoke-form.
Mr. Black/Mr. Blackshirt -- we don't know that the man's appearance in the opening scene really IS Jacob's nemesis.  Obviously his soul/spirit are, but this might be another disposable body just like Locke's.  I like this name for referring his words and actions in that one opening scene, but I don't think this body is "special" enough to designate the permanent name of this obviously special person.

CONCLUSION
We are searching for a term that will define him ALL of the time, and therefore that name shouldn't be defined by whatever form he is temporarily taking.

The bodies he inhabits can only define his image while inhabiting them (i.e. we can/should call him "UnLocke" when he is acting as Locke, or "Mr. Black" when he's inhabiting the body of the man watching the ship come in, or "Mr. Smokey" when he is the smoke monster - IF he is the smoke monster - but we ALSO need an all-encompassing name that he always retains throughout his many incarnations.)

What really defines this person ENTIRELY is his opposition to Jacob.

Therefore, I support the following:

ESAU or ANTI-JACOB: His enduring, all-encompassing name throughout whatever form he may be taking at any moment.
UNLOCKE: How we refer to him while discussing his actions in Locke's body. (Note that he is still Esau/Anti-Jacob during this time).
MR. BLACK/MR.BLACKSHIRT: How we refer to him while discussing his actions in the body of the man watching the ship. (Note that he is still Esau/Anti-Jacob during this time).

One last note:  I'd steer clear of calling him "Bad Twin" (although that would be fun) or anything negative ... because we can't be sure yet WHICH one is the Bad guy and which one is the Good guy.

*Facts being statements that we can all agree on at this point.