Author Topic: Jacob a god?  (Read 7833 times)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob a god?
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2009, 11:42:40 PM »
good, very good and keep it moving!  Get the LOST fix! ;D

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2009, 11:00:26 AM »
Seems the term "God" is being applied for lack of a different descriptor...Atlaua was the Aztec water god...not mine...but in discussing their culture I've no problem calling Atlaua a god....

All civilizations have had their "God(s)", and these guys are not being thought of as the Abrahamic "God" ,least I do not think so, though that may be where some are getting caught up applying that term...need to leave personal ideas of such at the door and deal with the mythology presented...which thus far has been a hodge podge of a few religions and ideas....some inferences from
the God of Abraham have been used, as that of the Buddha too...What ever any of us do though, do not bring that idiot DAN BROWN into any of this.... ;D

Agree LIL, just having the "superpowers" does not denote a God, but even in that fine literature the dichotomy the characters faced in certain story lines forced them to ask such a question of themselves.

To put it simply, they are gifts (as you state)....they're just .... gifted.

This is a good way to explain it.  Arthur C Clarke put it another way in his third of 3 three laws:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »
very cool set o' laws...that one was in my sig line a few days ago till I came across the "standing still...."

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2009, 12:10:07 PM »
New reference for me to explore again.

I am liking this conversation, thanks for making my brain think outside the box

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »
You both suck. lol

I like him too Monkeyface, I stopped trying to defend it a while ago.

What ever any of us do though, do not bring that idiot DAN BROWN into any of this.... ;D

What's wrong with Dan Brown?? He's no Shakespeare or Vonnegut, but he's fun to read.

And just to say I said something relating to the topic, I think that whoever said it (stagger??) every culture has their own idea of what gods are, so technically, I think you might be able to say that Jacob is both a god, and not a god.

Offline Souldrinker

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »
From the point of view of the Others you could say he is a "god" because it seems that they see him like that.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2009, 04:15:12 PM »
I have no qualm slapping that moniker on them and sending them on their way, but do see that some have some sort of issue with it.
Souldrinker said it there with a brevity I only wish I could muster, but noooooo I've just gotta get all long winded and pretentious....
Bobbx too..all direct and to the point....~sheeesh~*.....

Bob, for his mass appeal or sensationalism I do not fault him, I tried it ( The D Code), I kept guessing the next thing and being disappointed when I turned the page. Truly the ideas he presents are fascinating but he should be forced to sit down and read Murders in the Rue Morgue 30 times before he next sets pen to paper.

anybody remember tildes ~~ mean sarcasm?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:17:12 PM by Staggerlee »

F. Bacon

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »
oh thanks for that tidbit peole were using the rolling eyes, and to me they just meant whatever

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
Bob, for his mass appeal or sensationalism I do not fault him, I tried it ( The D Code), I kept guessing the next thing and being disappointed when I turned the page. Truly the ideas he presents are fascinating but he should be forced to sit down and read Murders in the Rue Morgue 30 times before he next sets pen to paper.

That's what I mean. Like, I wouldn't put him on my top ten favorite authors or anything, but it's fun to read the adventure. Hell, I read all of his stuff in about a week and a half. So it's not a heavy read. He does have a new one coming out soon.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »
In that sense, I get it....I'm reading a Heinlein novel right now...good time killer.

I am glad I found a used copy of the Illustrated D Code, pretty cool.

Oh yeah, He's God like...maybe...Jacob....trying to keep it on topic.....

F. Bacon

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2009, 04:41:17 PM »
In that sense, I get it....I'm reading a Heinlein novel right now...good time killer.

I am glad I found a used copy of the Illustrated D Code, pretty cool.

Oh yeah, He's God like...maybe...Jacob....trying to keep it on topic.....

I'm going through "LAMB: The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal" right now. It's fantastic.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2009, 05:22:19 PM »
You two are cracking me up. I never read DB.  My summer reading this year is Atlas Shrugged

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »
Oooh very highbrow ;)

I got through 2/3 of 2666 this past month and had to take a break with something that actually used punctuation.

Have only read Anthem, need to get onto her other stuff sometime....

F. Bacon

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »
No someone told me to read it because it is very much like our political climate right now.

The Big Sleep is another one on my list and then I want to find a book about Alexander the great.

I have odd reading habits.  like history

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »
You both suck. lol

I like him too Monkeyface, I stopped trying to defend it a while ago.

What ever any of us do though, do not bring that idiot DAN BROWN into any of this.... ;D

What's wrong with Dan Brown?? He's no Shakespeare or Vonnegut, but he's fun to read.

And just to say I said something relating to the topic, I think that whoever said it (stagger??) every culture has their own idea of what gods are, so technically, I think you might be able to say that Jacob is both a god, and not a god.

I'm not a Dan Brown fan either...in my opinion, he is not original at all.  He simply takes ideas from other people and jams them all together in his own book--nothing gets me more than stale ideas recycled.