Author Topic: Jacob a god?  (Read 7494 times)

Offline MattChiz

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob a god?
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »
grizn0 hates dane cook too. Dane Cook steals other people's jokes! That is just not cool.

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
Some individuals also make you want to swallow a knife.
I actually know how to do that trick....a guy called P. Griffin thought me :D

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »

Griz and I will have to have a talk.

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 04:31:01 PM »

Griz and I will have to have a talk.
Oooh...i know this dude...damn his movies sure suck....

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 07:42:36 PM »

I believe the individual was expressing that some people push you over the edge and that edge would be punching a baby.  I agree quite the extreme.

So Bastor where do you hail, as I take this off course for a moment? 
Well thanks for the unneeded clarification ;) Anyway im form Bulgaria......don't think we punch babies out here or anything....at least i think we don't punch babies....even tho they creep me out...with those freakishly large eyes....ughm anyway back on topic....

I don't think we should think Jacob is a god...I mean besides the not aging part the doesn't seem to have manifested any power so far (except the tapestry....damn that IS awesome) I mean Ben was on and off the island at times and that was pretty much explained later on but we didn't know what to think back then too...and damn the island cured a cancer and paralysis if played right it could have some longevity key, couldn't it? I mean sure it is one of the characteristics of a god, it is what a tribe would call godly (not aging a single year for like 30-40 years(at least not on the outside)) but it's not some power or something....

Greetings from Romania, neighbour! Go team Eastern Europe!

Sorry to have to disagree with you, but I do think that Jacob is supposed to portray a god. He brought The Black Rock to the island, he visited all those people and he made Richard his immortal prophet. He lives in the foot of the statue, has a prophet, a priest who is elected periodically (the leader) and a bunch of followers. His nemesis seems to control Smokie and to be able to appear as other people. They both influence humans, yet they leave them a bit of free will. They also do not age. I wonder if BlackShirt has any followers. Since Jacob is dead maybe they will follow him, Ben will be the new prophet, Richard could be killed, and season 6 being all about the Oceanic5 returning to slay unLocke or something. That's just speculation, but it does appear that they are gods or demi-gods. I don't think they have time to show us another being, more powerful than Jacob and Blackie in just one season.

Offline rjm.barnes@hotmail.co.uk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »
You can't spell Scientology without Lost.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT diminish tha value of LOST by equating it with scientology.

Not quite going there, but I vote for aliens.   ;D

I'd rather not think about bible stories, so to tie in all the religious elements, I'm leaning toward the idea that "aliens" (or something) showed up and gave everyone all the ideas that led to similar stories in different religions. That's why Jacob keeps bringing people (like the ones on the ship, on 815, etc) to the island even though they always destroyed each other, they ended up with the same result but came up with different interpretations for what was going on every time... I guess what I'm saying is that it's not about religion, but about where religion came from, and how it's all just kind of an accidental development resulting from human nature...

(just not a fan of organized religion, sorry...)

Aren't all the gods in organized religions "aliens" anyway?

Yes. That is the nature of them
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:00:17 PM by rjmb »

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 03:52:44 AM »

Greetings from Romania, neighbour! Go team Eastern Europe!

Sorry to have to disagree with you, but I do think that Jacob is supposed to portray a god. He brought The Black Rock to the island, he visited all those people and he made Richard his immortal prophet. He lives in the foot of the statue, has a prophet, a priest who is elected periodically (the leader) and a bunch of followers. His nemesis seems to control Smokie and to be able to appear as other people. They both influence humans, yet they leave them a bit of free will. They also do not age. I wonder if BlackShirt has any followers. Since Jacob is dead maybe they will follow him, Ben will be the new prophet, Richard could be killed, and season 6 being all about the Oceanic5 returning to slay unLocke or something. That's just speculation, but it does appear that they are gods or demi-gods. I don't think they have time to show us another being, more powerful than Jacob and Blackie in just one season.
w00t! Neighbor ^^ Nice!

Anyway whatever happens i think the origin of Jacobs power will be explained making it not that god-like but you are correct in saying that he is worshiped and though of as a god.
About bringing The Black Rock i suppose he did it the same way he interacted with the oceanic losties..well still getting it ON the island itself is pretty godlike ... Better end it here before i start contradicting myself....

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2009, 09:35:26 AM »

I believe the individual was expressing that some people push you over the edge and that edge would be punching a baby.  I agree quite the extreme.

So Bastor where do you hail, as I take this off course for a moment? 
Well thanks for the unneeded clarification ;) Anyway im form Bulgaria......don't think we punch babies out here or anything....at least i think we don't punch babies....even tho they creep me out...with those freakishly large eyes....ughm anyway back on topic....

I don't think we should think Jacob is a god...I mean besides the not aging part the doesn't seem to have manifested any power so far (except the tapestry....damn that IS awesome) I mean Ben was on and off the island at times and that was pretty much explained later on but we didn't know what to think back then too...and damn the island cured a cancer and paralysis if played right it could have some longevity key, couldn't it? I mean sure it is one of the characteristics of a god, it is what a tribe would call godly (not aging a single year for like 30-40 years(at least not on the outside)) but it's not some power or something....
I still can't figure out the right use of emoticon for rehtorical questions.   ;D   I think those babies you are looking at might be aliens.

I agree I do not believe Jacob is a god.  He may have superhuman abilities, but so did most comic book heroes.  I don't think abiltiy to not age is a God Like quality.  I would like to think of things as gifts ;D

Bulgaria - hmm I must admit I do not know a lot about your country.  But out of respect I will look into it.

Nice to have folks from all over chime in.  It provides yet another viewpoint.

BTW I wasn't trying to be fresh explaining that to you ;)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2009, 01:09:59 PM »
Seems the term "God" is being applied for lack of a different descriptor...Atlaua was the Aztec water god...not mine...but in discussing their culture I've no problem calling Atlaua a god....

All civilizations have had their "God(s)", and these guys are not being thought of as the Abrahamic "God" ,least I do not think so, though that may be where some are getting caught up applying that term...need to leave personal ideas of such at the door and deal with the mythology presented...which thus far has been a hodge podge of a few religions and ideas....some inferences from
the God of Abraham have been used, as that of the Buddha too...What ever any of us do though, do not bring that idiot DAN BROWN into any of this.... ;D

Agree LIL, just having the "superpowers" does not denote a God, but even in that fine literature the dichotomy the characters faced in certain story lines forced them to ask such a question of themselves.

To put it simply, they are gifts (as you state)....they're just .... gifted.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 01:13:40 PM by Staggerlee »
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 04:12:28 PM »
Seems the term "God" is being applied for lack of a different descriptor...Atlaua was the Aztec water god...not mine...but in discussing their culture I've no problem calling Atlaua a god....

All civilizations have had their "God(s)", and these guys are not being thought of as the Abrahamic "God" ,least I do not think so, though that may be where some are getting caught up applying that term...need to leave personal ideas of such at the door and deal with the mythology presented...which thus far has been a hodge podge of a few religions and ideas....some inferences from
the God of Abraham have been used, as that of the Buddha too...What ever any of us do though, do not bring that idiot DAN BROWN into any of this.... ;D

Agree LIL, just having the "superpowers" does not denote a God, but even in that fine literature the dichotomy the characters faced in certain story lines forced them to ask such a question of themselves.

To put it simply, they are gifts (as you state)....they're just .... gifted.

Thank you Stagger for helping me out here. I agree there are deities in civilizations and understand the differences.  I just don't perceive Jacob as anything but as a gifted person.  I am just struggling with the season finale and the jump to placing him in such high esteem.  I have a feeling about Jacob and it is not a good one.

I appreciate your posts truly are eloquent, helpful and insightful. ;D

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »
I followed this pretty well, except I don't get how Richard is a prophet?

I'm with the people who think that Jacob is not a god. Of course the term "god" is kind of fluid with me anyway. The story reminded me more of The Stand than anything else. And really, Jacob bringing Locke back to life is the loophole through which the Dark Man reappears? Sounds to me like Jacob knew what he was doing, especially after he gives Ben that line, "What about you?" I think he had to die, so something else can come. He even says, "They're coming." But yeah, he could just have powers. If there can be time traveling, there could be X-Men, too.  ;)

btw, what's with not using people's names anymore? lol. In this thread, not in the show. I'm confused. Who said what about Dane Cook? Babies? (I do use that "punching babies" line, too. Sometimes that's the only way to describe how absolutely frustrating something is to people who are desensitized by "it was really frustrating.")

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »
I used to love Dane Cook, now I am so tired of him, plus I am a huge Louis CK fan, and I did always think it was weird that several of his jokes were very similar to ones Louis was doing like 7 years earlier.

also, I think Jacob is a god in the way Phil Connors described a god, he's just been around so long that he knows everything.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2009, 11:26:07 PM »
...the jump to placing him in such high esteem.  I have a feeling about Jacob and it is not a good one.

I know exactly what you mean, are the pulling the easy ol' switcher-oo on us, or is a double switcher-oo, or a double double double...They're doing it or already have done it with a few characters thus far, so in this case tis probably the same...that is the fun though, no?

You must be thinking of some one of much more intellect and eloquence, like Lakkie, surely this does not apply to me....? :P

this is my 1101 post...pretty cool...

F. Bacon

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
...the jump to placing him in such high esteem.  I have a feeling about Jacob and it is not a good one.

I know exactly what you mean, are the pulling the easy ol' switcher-oo on us, or is a double switcher-oo, or a double double double...They're doing it or already have done it with a few characters thus far, so in this case tis probably the same...that is the fun though, no?

You must be thinking of some one of much more intellect and eloquence, like Lakkie, surely this does not apply to me....? :P

this is my 1101 post...pretty cool...

Wait did you jump into another level you go for it Staggerlee.

Yes, the old spy vs spy vs spy routine  ;D

No you are eloquent and very knowlegeable, you have your own unique approach and thoughts I appreciate that ;D

We all have our own ways, but you hit a good point earlier and thank you again for putting it forward ;)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2009, 11:41:07 PM »
Calling them "God(s)" is a bit problematic, but the easiest for some to grasp onto, guess that is why some sharpied that onto Jacob and Man #2's Hello Tags, but in the jello wrestling blow up pool of semantics it is more fun to be spectator than contender... (How's that for a run on sentence!!)

Now to hunt the threads...need me some Lost...the shakes have started....

F. Bacon