Author Topic: Jacob a god?  (Read 7698 times)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
Re: Jacob a god?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 01:53:35 PM »
Well, Jacob definitely had the whole "suffering savior" look at his execution - like he was thinking, "I have to die because they want me to die."  But I say the island isn't done.  The island was not what was trying to kill Jacob.  Jacob is not the island.  Smokey is not Jacob.  Jacob is Jacob and the island is the island.  I am thrilled with that.  Let the bad guys come in all their manifestations.  It only takes one to stand up against them.

Where is the island as of late in this? Not navigationally, but story wise? Are we sure that they are not the Isle, in and of themselves?  Locke (Pleather and Leather version) talk of the Isle's healing properties, as we saw to heal lil' bespectacled ben, Ricardus took him to the temple, where smokey lives, whom has all but been named as Man#2's alter ego...there is where a crux lies to be answered or has it been...Is it of it's own volition (the Isle), or are these two manifestations of it or vice versa...are they "beings" merely harnessing it in a primitive nay different manner than what the DI want to....
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline simeean

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »
Well, Jacob definitely had the whole "suffering savior" look at his execution - like he was thinking, "I have to die because they want me to die."  But I say the island isn't done.  The island was not what was trying to kill Jacob.  Jacob is not the island.  Smokey is not Jacob.  Jacob is Jacob and the island is the island.  I am thrilled with that.  Let the bad guys come in all their manifestations.  It only takes one to stand up against them.

Where is the island as of late in this? Not navigationally, but story wise? Are we sure that they are not the Isle, in and of themselves?  Locke (Pleather and Leather version) talk of the Isle's healing properties, as we saw to heal lil' bespectacled ben, Ricardus took him to the temple, where smokey lives, whom has all but been named as Man#2's alter ego...there is where a crux lies to be answered or has it been...Is it of it's own volition (the Isle), or are these two manifestations of it or vice versa...are they "beings" merely harnessing it in a primitive nay different manner than what the DI want to....

Maybe the island is just a decidedly neutral playing field, like a controlled laboratory for their experiments.... It keeps anyone from dying of "natural" causes, and lets the only VARIABLES be the players themselves... That would also explain the need for course correction...

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »
I can see that, but what are the two's connection to it? They seem to be a bit more human than human....
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline simeean

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »
I can see that, but what are the two's connection to it? They seem to be a bit more human than human....

Maybe they've just been involved with humans for too long... Their whole interaction reminded me of the book Good Omens (Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett), if anyone's read that.... Angels who have been hanging out on Earth for too long pick up some silly human traits...

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 03:19:21 PM »
Anyone who likes Lost is good in my books.

Just hang around here a while, Matt....you will discover some that make you want to punch a baby.

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »

Just hang around here a while, Matt....you will discover some that make you want to punch a baby.
Why wouldn't i want to punch a baby?....You americans sure are weird....xD

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »

I believe the individual was expressing that some people push you over the edge and that edge would be punching a baby.  I agree quite the extreme.

So Bastor where do you hail, as I take this off course for a moment? 

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »

I believe the individual was expressing that some people push you over the edge and that edge would be punching a baby.  I agree quite the extreme.

Well thanks for the unneeded clarification ;) Anyway im form Bulgaria......don't think we punch babies out here or anything....at least i think we don't punch babies....even tho they creep me out...with those freakishly large eyes....ughm anyway back on topic....

I don't think we should think Jacob is a god...I mean besides the not aging part the doesn't seem to have manifested any power so far (except the tapestry....damn that IS awesome) I mean Ben was on and off the island at times and that was pretty much explained later on but we didn't know what to think back then too...and damn the island cured a cancer and paralysis if played right it could have some longevity key, couldn't it? I mean sure it is one of the characteristics of a god, it is what a tribe would call godly (not aging a single year for like 30-40 years(at least not on the outside)) but it's not some power or something....

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 04:11:23 PM »

The individual was actually quoting another individual called Dane Cook.

Offline MattChiz

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »
I don't want to offend anyone, but Dane Cook sucks.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »

None taken.  I agree.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »

that was the individual in to whom I was referring ;D  ROFLMAO...not a big fan either Matt so just my take on life!  

No offense taken ;D

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »
You both suck. lol

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 04:26:17 PM »
I have no idea who Dane Cook is.....

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »
Some individuals also make you want to swallow a knife.