Author Topic: Battlestar Gallactica finale & finale opener of LOST  (Read 674 times)

Offline Mom2Lindsey

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Battlestar Gallactica finale & finale opener of LOST
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »
I think the discussion between Jacob & Esau in the beginning reminded me of the ending conversation between Gaius & six in Battlestar's finale. They were talking about the theme of all this has happened before and it will happen again. In their case it was the ending of the human race.
I'm not sure about LOST but maybe it means that they've seen the destruction of the island before and they'll see it again? I dunno I just wanted to bring up this connection tos ee if anyone else agrees.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Gallactica finale & finale opener of LOST
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:02:27 PM »
Well, when BSG was ending, we were discussing around here that the time travel idea would have worked with THAT show's ending too. Then we just laughed that the odds of two shows using time travel were a bit much... although then we realized we liked our time travel idea better than what actually happened in BSG.  :)

But yes, the themes seems similar or at least complementary: Whatever happened happened... and This will all happen over again.

Time loops. Historical loops (broader arcs).

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:10:16 AM »
Yeah, clearly Jacob and Esau seem to be in some giant repeating loop of time/history.  Esau seems weary of it because it always ends the same, but Jacob says the real end is only when time stops looping.  Esau finding a way to kill Jacob is his way to stop the loop from repeating.  How much of the cosmic manipulation of the Losties is Esau's doing and how much is Jacob's doing is a big question with me.  With backgammon, each player is moving only his own pieces (along with the element of the chance roll of dice), but here we seem to have two players each manipulating the same pieces hoping that the "chance" element of their own free will ultimately works out in that player's favor.

Offline Mom2Lindsey

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »
Very nice RM-

The two conversations really reminded me of each other.