Author Topic: Was Miles right?  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Schmokey

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Was Miles right?
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:54:32 AM »
Miles suggested that maybe detonating the bomb is what caused The Incident.  Did anybody consider that?  Did they think things through?  "Clearly not," Miles concluded.   Maybe he had something there ....

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Was Miles right?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:58:31 AM »
Well, I never understood why anyone really thought that detonating the bomb would actually alter anything.  We were consistently being shown what was happening in 2007/2008.  And the told us over and over again "What happend, happend".  So again, I never understood the debate or angst.  Furthermore, I never understood why people were claiming a potential paradox as nothing we were shown thus far indicated that they changed anything.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:14:59 AM »
I was wondering if the explosion is what they have to keep at bay. Like the magnetism is pulling it in and instead of discharging the electromagnetism they were actually charging it. To keep the explosion from being released. But then whats the deal with the failsafe?

Offline howsitallgoingtoend

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:13:09 PM »
Well, I never understood why anyone really thought that detonating the bomb would actually alter anything.  We were consistently being shown what was happening in 2007/2008.  And the told us over and over again "What happend, happend".  So again, I never understood the debate or angst.  Furthermore, I never understood why people were claiming a potential paradox as nothing we were shown thus far indicated that they changed anything.

I have been thinking this for the past few episodes...When Miles said this to everyone, all I thought was THANK YOU!!!!! finally, someone sees the irony in all this, then it was dismissed  ???

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »

I have been thinking this for the past few episodes...When Miles said this to everyone, all I thought was THANK YOU!!!!! finally, someone sees the irony in all this, then it was dismissed  ???

I've been thinking this all along too.  How would anyone ever know if they were going to change anything?  No matter what they "chose" to do that could have been what happened all along.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »
What's funny is the look on their faces.  I shouted at the tv "IDIOTS"

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 06:15:22 PM »
See, that confused me when Miles said that towards the end of the episode. Earlier, when his dad, Dr. Chang asked him if Daniel Faraday had been correct about the incident, Miles said, "Well, he's been right about everything so far."  So Miles kind of gave them the faith to believe in Faraday, so like I said, I thought it strange that he was the one to question Jack who was following Faraday's plan.

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
I was wondering if the explosion is what they have to keep at bay. Like the magnetism is pulling it in and instead of discharging the electromagnetism they were actually charging it. To keep the explosion from being released. But then whats the deal with the failsafe?

im thinking that when jack and sayid try to blow up jughead, something goes wrong and the dharma folks seal the bomb in all the concrete we saw inside the swan. when des turns the key he finally explodes the bomb, releasing the pent up energy along with the blast of the bomb.
i could be totally wrong, but this is what im feeling here.

thats what the fail safe is about

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 06:41:08 PM »
I could be way off about all of this, but...

Its theorized that certain types of nuclear reactions can be contained within magnetic fields.  Maybe the magnetic matter at the swan site has something to do with this - i.e. the bomb really didn't go off - there was just a huge magnetic event (remember nuke bombs put out huge EMP's) - hence instead of seeing a huge explosion, we just see a 'failsafe' type of flash to bright light.

Also the idea that the bomb didn't really explode seems to be backed up by the fact that there's no huge crater at the swan site in 2004.  And for that matter, no signs of radioactive contamination or fallout later on either - except, perhaps that stuff Desmond injects himself with at the start of season 2 - anti-radiation meds?

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:37:30 PM »
See, that confused me when Miles said that towards the end of the episode. Earlier, when his dad, Dr. Chang asked him if Daniel Faraday had been correct about the incident, Miles said, "Well, he's been right about everything so far."  So Miles kind of gave them the faith to believe in Faraday, so like I said, I thought it strange that he was the one to question Jack who was following Faraday's plan.

See, I thought he meant right about there actually being an incident....

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 11:29:41 PM »
I was in the "whatever happened, happened" camp, so I'm glad Miles finally said what I had been thinking. Plus it led to the best action sequence in the entire show.

VW van cavalry to the rescue again!

Offline Fenster

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 11:33:09 PM »
I could be way off about all of this, but...

Its theorized that certain types of nuclear reactions can be contained within magnetic fields.  Maybe the magnetic matter at the swan site has something to do with this - i.e. the bomb really didn't go off - there was just a huge magnetic event (remember nuke bombs put out huge EMP's) - hence instead of seeing a huge explosion, we just see a 'failsafe' type of flash to bright light.

Also the idea that the bomb didn't really explode seems to be backed up by the fact that there's no huge crater at the swan site in 2004.  And for that matter, no signs of radioactive contamination or fallout later on either - except, perhaps that stuff Desmond injects himself with at the start of season 2 - anti-radiation meds?
I had the same theory...the bomb goes off, but is contained by the "energy".  All that happens is the losties are jumped forward 30 years.  Daniel was right...What's done is done, nothing can be changed.  Daniel blinded by love for Charlotte tried to convince himself that he could change things and save her, but he was wrong.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 11:34:40 PM »
Yes, this is how I see it playing out as well.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 11:36:19 PM »
very plausible, and sharp, Occam would be proud!
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 11:37:04 PM »

See, I thought he meant right about there actually being an incident....

But Miles specifically said "If Daniel says to do it, I'd do it" (or words close to that). Apparently he had a change of heart in putting faith in Daniel's decisions last night lol.