Author Topic: was locke ever special ?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
was locke ever special ?
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:10:25 AM »
 what is with locke ,was he ever special  at all to begin with.. he has just time travelled and blown his own trumpet of being a leader to richard ..i'm really dissapointed he is still dead and not special

when locke fell off the buliding ,  did jacob save his life ?  locke seemed to come to life when jacob touched him .... and  this duplicate  locke  character he  acts  like orginal locke and seems to know everything that happened to him,  whether it is referring to ben abt meeting in the hatch or about visiting the cabin ..how does he know all that.

and this illana if she knew that locke's dead body was in the box why didnt she ask this duplicatte locke who he was or stop him or somthing , when she was especially hired by jacob she must know something

sorry for  rambling like this , but   i have like a million questions in my mind right now

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: was locke ever special ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 06:24:17 AM »
Yeah, it's pretty depressing.  If I were to go on today's episode and the show so far, I'd have to say no he isn't special.  He was just a pawn.  I hope dead Locke's story isn't over though.  I hope SOMEHOW he gets a happy ending and ends up not dead or maybe ghost Locke fights off whoever seems to be impersonating him.

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:42:48 AM »
I don't think Locke was any more special than Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hugo, Sayid or Jin.
I think we'll see that everyone that Jacob visited will be "special". Notice he didn't visit Juliet?

Locke made his destiny. I find it odd that Richard was so easily manipulated into thinking that Locke was special.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:45:23 AM »
Yeah I couldn't remember if he visited her or not.  It was a pretty worthless flashback if he didn't.  All it really did was provide some weak motivation for her to end things with Sawyer.  In which case, it makes me hope she's not dead next season even more.

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05:47 AM »
From the very first time i heard Richard say Locke wasn't the same and the thing about no one ever ever being able to come back to life-i knew it. That is not Locke that is some sort of powerful entity using his body. But now we get a dead body...so we are sure it is not Locke at all...hmm....well if we think a bit there is one "predator" on the island who can actually transform into dead people and convince others that they are real...so what we know so far on the John Locke thing
1. John is dead.
2. The guy from the opening scene now somehow looks exactly like John Locke but isn't him (which is a characteristic of Smokey)
3. The guy who wants to kill Jacob says he went through a lot to get there and to find a loop so he could kill him. That tells us that he can not actually kill him, he is not allowed or he does not posses the ability to do it, well the second one is scratched out directly since he died by a knife and fire (so it seems) so maybe something bad would happen if he were to directly kill him or he would get punished or something....

And only those scenes rose a lot of questions like:
1. Are fake John, Smokey and intro kill Jacob guy the same...thing?
2. Are Jacob and kill Jacob guy some sort of gods? Is Richard a god? I mean let us look at Richard and Jacob-they do not seem to age. LEt us assume kill Jacob guy doesn't age too since he is somehow still alive and looks like Locke he is also not touched by age.

Anyway...got too confusing....basically i think Locke was special and he was used as a tool and so was Ben. I mean doesn't this look like a big game a chess where each of the players is trying to tilt things to go his way-kill Jacob guy used Smokey (or is he Smokey?) to convince Ben to follow John which would eventually lead to him killing Jacob (weird part is that Ben never though of blaming Jacob until fake Locke put it in his head) and Jacob seemed to be trying to actually be the good guy-he never tried to alter anything in the past/present he just let them make their own choices and watched them it seems. I mean take Hurley-he comforted him, he convinced him it is not bad to see the dead and that he is not insane, but he didn't make him go to the island-he gave him a choice...that sounds like the good guy thing to do to me...

Well in the end it might just turn out that no one is good or bad, nor is anyone special they were just all pawns....

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
Locke was a pawn. Fake Locke told Richard in 1954 that Locke would be a leader. Richard went to test Real Locke and he failed the test. Richard then was always confused as to how/why Locke would be the leader. Richard was manipulated and Locke was never special. So sad...

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 11:02:26 AM »
I think that by default, if you end up on the island, you are, at the very least, a little special. But Locke most deffinitely had something else "extra".

Offline lostieloo

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 11:06:30 AM »
Locke was a pawn. Fake Locke told Richard in 1954 that Locke would be a leader. Richard went to test Real Locke and he failed the test. Richard then was always confused as to how/why Locke would be the leader. Richard was manipulated and Locke was never special. So sad...

I think that was before the real Locke's death, so the real Locke actually did tell Richard that he was going to be their leader.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »
Again, all of these people (Richard included, whom I'm sure will be on the Black Rock) are superstitious being believing in the specialness implied by these supernatural circumstances.

Richard thinks Locke is special because:
A) in 1954, Locke told him "Jacob sent me" and then he disappeared before his eyes
B) sure as he was told, Locke was born in 1956 and Richard went to see him
C) despite being tested over the years by Richard and Locke's having failed his tests, in 1977, Jack tells Richard that Locke is special.  Why does Jack think Locke is special?  Because he showed up in 2007 and knew his dead father's name was Christian.  Jack finally gave in to all of Locke's self-belief.

Locke is special only in that he was chosen by Jacob as a "candidate" (to alter the course of history / be a leader of the Others).  It even looks like Jacob brought Locke back to life after dying from falling out of the skyscraper window.  But, that's not Locke's specialness, that's being the recipient of Jacob's special powers.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »

I think that was before the real Locke's death, so the real Locke actually did tell Richard that he was going to be their leader.

Oh, thanks. I am getting so confused with the timeline. I will have to rewatch this season. Lol.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »
IMHO, Locke has never been special.  a) Richard's test of young Locke and Locke fails, b) Kate sacastically chastises Locke in the Jeremy Betham episode ("Look how far you've come") c) Locke basically fails to bring back the O6 - only his death at the hands of Ben and Ben's subsequent manipulations accomplish it.  All the 'special' empathy with the island Locke has demonstrated was probably Esau or Jacob's manipulations.

Offline CameronLee

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »
when locke fell off the buliding ,  did jacob save his life ?  locke seemed to come to life when jacob touched him .... and  this duplicate  locke  character he  acts  like orginal locke and seems to know everything that happened to him,  whether it is referring to ben abt meeting in the hatch or about visiting the cabin ..how does he know all that.

and this illana if she knew that locke's dead body was in the box why didnt she ask this duplicatte locke who he was or stop him or somthing , when she was especially hired by jacob she must know something

sorry for  rambling like this , but   i have like a million questions in my mind right now

If Jacob saved Locke (which I'm assuming he did), Unlocke can shapeshift (which I'm assuming he can), is it really that farfetched to think maybe Unlocke is sort of like Miles in that he can "hear" every dead persons thought up until the moment they died, meaning he can perfectly imitate Locke.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 08:40:30 PM »
Richard mentioned when he was asking Jack about John being special that he had visited him 3 times.  I can think of 2.
1.  When he was born at the hospital. 
2.  When he visited John and gave him the "which one is yours" test.

So when was the 3rd visit?  It wasn't the invite to science camp via pamphlet. 

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »
If you think about it, Richard thought Locke was special because fake Locke told Richard to tell real Locke that he needs to kill himself and gave him the compass to give Richard in 1954.  That set things into motion so that Richard really thought Locke was special because here was this guy who appeared out of nowhere and knew about Jacob and gave him a compass, which probably is connected to some sort of test to how their leader is chosen, but it was really just a deception and manipulation started by fake Locke.  I hope Locke somehow still plays a part in this and turns out to be special, but it's looking unlikely since he's dead unless he somehow really does get resurrected or does an Obi Wan.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »
If you think about it, Richard thought Locke was special because fake Locke told Richard to tell real Locke that he needs to kill himself and gave him the compass to give Richard in 1954.  ..

exactly
the only reason real Locke told Richard he was their leader is because fake Locke told Richard to tell real Locke that he would be the leader  ;D