Author Topic: "Still trying to prove me wrong..."  (Read 1115 times)

Offline simeean

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
"Still trying to prove me wrong..."
« on: May 14, 2009, 03:36:06 AM »
Just rewatched the opening scene.... What is Jacob trying to prove? He says that regardless of what happens (happens), everything leading up to the inevitable destruction is "just progress". The other guy (I can't call him Esau, too biblical for TV) seems to think that everything always ends the same, so they shouldn't bother playing the game again. Not Destiny vs. Free Will, they both agree that the end result is the same. Are they fighting over the nature of humanity? Whether we're worth dealing with at all? Kind of like Lucifer not thinking that God's creation was as cool as he said it was... But now that's getting too biblical again.... I think I'll go read Paradise LOST  :P

I liked the time travel stuff, I hope this doesn't get all religion-y now  :-X

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: "Still trying to prove me wrong..."
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:41:43 AM »
Just rewatched the opening scene.... What is Jacob trying to prove? He says that regardless of what happens (happens), everything leading up to the inevitable destruction is "just progress". The other guy (I can't call him Esau, too biblical for TV) seems to think that everything always ends the same, so they shouldn't bother playing the game again. Not Destiny vs. Free Will, they both agree that the end result is the same. Are they fighting over the nature of humanity? Whether we're worth dealing with at all? Kind of like Lucifer not thinking that God's creation was as cool as he said it was... But now that's getting too biblical again.... I think I'll go read Paradise LOST  :P

in one way or one religion or another it has already always been religious.. i think they are prollyheading into the mythilogical spiritual side now... like the personified good/ evil are living all eternty in a loop so they make wagers knowing that each time it will end the same but each time the "rogress" gets them closer to the right decsion to make.. or finding that "loophole" they spoke of... variables??? nobody was really killed this episode... i thought there was going to be a death... i doubt jacob dies.. not yet anyway...

Offline simeean

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:23:39 AM »

in one way or one religion or another it has already always been religious.. i think they are prollyheading into the mythilogical spiritual side now... like the personified good/ evil are living all eternty in a loop so they make wagers knowing that each time it will end the same but each time the "rogress" gets them closer to the right decsion to make.. or finding that "loophole" they spoke of... variables??? nobody was really killed this episode... i thought there was going to be a death... i doubt jacob dies.. not yet anyway...

not exactly.... it was never about religion, it was about morality with a little mythology thrown in.... religion is just one way of teaching good & evil, right & wrong, etc.... that's all well and good, but if it's turning into a re-enactment of bible stories i'm not a happy camper.... i really don't see it going that way, i'm just panicking at the end of the season....

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:33:02 AM »
Yeah, I have a hard time figuring out who is good or who is bad if any of them?  Their motives and relationship are still unclear to me.  They both seem pretty uncaring towards humans.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:04:29 AM »
not exactly.... it was never about religion, it was about morality with a little mythology thrown in....

oh come on
the island healing the cripple
people rising from the dead
one of the risen dead is named Christian

the show has always been a mixture of religion / scifi / philosophy and mythology

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:08:35 AM »
Actually no one has risen form the dead....

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 04:19:20 PM »
Actually no one has risen form the dead....

BAM!!

Well Man 2 said flat out that it always ends with death, destruction, and corruption, so I'm assuming he's talking about the nature of man in general.

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 04:22:39 PM »

I think it was about simple human nature. Hard to go on further based on the little information we have.

Offline Pepsi-Maxx

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »
i thought it was different people come and start a civilization and they always end up arguing and destroying it and jacob says whatever happens is up to them and finally finding peace is progress.

that whole scene had a very devil and god looking down on new inhabitants of a land and god(jacob) having faith that yes they will destroy it but its all a learning curve that they will eventually destroying it and the devil believing that no good can come from these people and he finally wants to get rid of god but then he seems to banish him (into the smoke monster)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:27:24 PM »
Well Man 2 said flat out that it always ends with death, destruction, and corruption, so I'm assuming he's talking about the nature of man in general.

And that has been true BCE to CE, BC to AD or however you want to classify time, based on a guy's murder/death or one era blurring into another...now to go off and finish reading "The Road" to my 3yr old.....
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:45:07 PM »
i thought it was different people come and start a civilization and they always end up arguing and destroying it and jacob says whatever happens is up to them and finally finding peace is progress.

that whole scene had a very devil and god looking down on new inhabitants of a land and god(jacob) having faith that yes they will destroy it but its all a learning curve that they will eventually destroying it and the devil believing that no good can come from these people and he finally wants to get rid of god but then he seems to banish him (into the smoke monster)

You have to change your quote in your signature, no bald men have come back to life. LOL

Offline Pepsi-Maxx

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »

You have to change your quote in your signature, no bald men have come back to life. LOL

Done and done!............damn you John Locke!!!!