Author Topic: Jacob and Esau  (Read 12426 times)

Offline DigitalOSH

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Jacob and Esau
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:20:58 AM »
I feel as though i may be going on a red herring here but here's a thought.

The two at the beginning of the finale have been referred to as Jacob and Esau... which is a Biblical reference.

In Genesis 25:23 we see this:

23 The LORD said to her,
       "Two nations are in your womb,
       and two peoples from within you will be separated;
       one people will be stronger than the other,
       and the older will serve the younger."

Esau was the older and Jacob (which, in Hebrew, means 'supplanter' or one who takes power 'illegally'). According to Genesis 25, at one point the elder came home from 'the country' extremely hungry to find Jacob cooking stew. Esau asked for some stew, but Jacob said 'swear to me that you will give me your birthright'. When Esau swore that, Jacob gave him something to eat. Esau despised him for that, and wanted to kill him. Dunno how it ties in, but run with it.

Also, 'Esau' say 'You know, one day WE will find a loophole' as opposed to I will find a loophole. Significant?

I also heard that if you play the intro backwards you'll hear all the answers to all the questions.... IN SATAN'S VOICE

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob and Esau
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:24:36 AM »
WE are legion

Offline DigitalOSH

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:27:15 AM »
Brilliant.

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 01:36:28 AM »
Jacob "stole" Esau's birthright. He was out for vengeance then, he is out for vengeance now.

Offline arkay

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:05:25 AM »
Also, the Jacob/Esau thing is obvious, but has anyone brought up cain and abel? 
Cain killed abel, but then Cain was not allowed to be killed.
Maybe Jacob is Cain or something like that?

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:07:00 AM »
Yep. But Abel was dead. Does that make Jacob (Cain) and Esau (Seth)? All these bible references confuse me.

Offline losttill0208

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
"Esau"
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 02:13:34 AM »
Is he smokey? During Ben's judgement faux-locke was out of sight the whole time.. could he have been the one who scared the crap out of Ben and gave him specific orders to do what Locke said by taking Alex's form.. So that when the time came to convince Ben to kill Jacob, he wouldn't need that much convincing?

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: "Esau"
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:17:41 AM »
It looks that way.

I wonder if we will find out what REALLY happened when Locke first met the monster. All he said was that it was beautiful.

Offline arkay

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 02:20:21 AM »
When Lock and Walt were playing chess in Season 1, what did he tell him about the Black and White pieces? 
Wasn't it something about good vs. evil? 

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 02:22:22 AM »
Yessir. It was a pretty powerful theme at the beginning, and it has remained still, even if a little more hazy now. Good, evil, two immortal bastards playing chess with innocent people--it's all good.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 03:53:40 AM »
It looks that way.

I wonder if we will find out what REALLY happened when Locke first met the monster. All he said was that it was beautiful.

i thin kthat both jacob and esau are both "smokies" esau is being the Cerebus .. the missionary .. violent side... jacob being the one who takes shape and assists and recons... esau did wear black.. jacob wore white...

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 04:02:57 AM »
Is he smokey? During Ben's judgement faux-locke was out of sight the whole time.. could he have been the one who scared the crap out of Ben and gave him specific orders to do what Locke said by taking Alex's form.. So that when the time came to convince Ben to kill Jacob, he wouldn't need that much convincing?

I kind of suspected something was up with Locke during Ben's Judgement: http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=9234.0

Offline ConstanceM529

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 04:26:57 AM »
How do we know his name is Esau? Only Jacob's name was mentioned in the opening.

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 04:40:48 AM »
Also, the Jacob/Esau thing is obvious, but has anyone brought up cain and abel? 
Cain killed abel, but then Cain was not allowed to be killed.
Maybe Jacob is Cain or something like that?

Cain was also banished by God after killing his brother Abel.

Thought that was interesting since "Locke" talked about how Ben had been 'banished.'

Offline bastor

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 07:22:37 AM »
In the Book of Jubilees (which is neither part of the Jewish nor most Christian canons), Esau's father, Isaac, compels Esau to swear not to attack or kill Jacob after Isaac has died.

Hmm...