Author Topic: Richard telling Locke he had to die  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Richard telling Locke he had to die
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:39:37 AM »
We all saw last week when "Locke" told Richard to tell himself that he needed to die to bring everyone back. Richard did as he was told... But he got totally manipulated by that man in the black shirt at the beginning of tonight's episode. The general theory around in here (in the past half hour lol) is that the man in the black shirt has taken the persona of Locke. This man knew that his loophole had to come this way and used his new found "leadership" to tell Richard that Locke needed to die for the greater good. I'm afraid Locke was just a casualty of this fued between Jacob and the unnamed man and was used as a loophole for that man to kill Jacob through Ben. And we thought Ben was manipulative lol

Wow, I think I just confused myself lol OOOOHHHH my head hurts! But I love this show...

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Richard telling Locke he had to die
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:42:45 AM »
Yes, for whatever reason, that character in the beginning can only seem to take on the persona of dead people (he's been Charlie, Libby, Alex, Christian, etc.). Soooo, since he realized he would need to take on Locke's persona, Locke would have to be dead first.

Sooooo, he started planting the idea that it was Locke's destiny to die off-island and come back so that he could then eventually take on the persona of a dead Locke.

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:46:24 AM »
Austruck, I like your theory, but I'm not so sure he took on the persona of Charlie.  Charlie was telling Hurley to go back to the Island because the Island needed him.  Jacob was telling Hurley to go back to the Island too.  So I feel like dead-Charlie and Jacob are on the same team.  And Jacob was also telling Hurley that he's not crazy and it's a gift to talk to dead people.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 01:05:28 AM »
Well, but what if this is some sort of "Highlander" eternal game of cat and mouse with these two guys? They could each want them back on the island for different reasons:

Jacob wants them to come back because for some reason he keeps drawing people to the island. (The other guy in the beginning says as much regarding the old ship that is showing up -- "You brought them here.") So he's nudging these people to the island for some reason we don't know yet.

And the other guy is appearing to them as dead people once he realizes Jacob has chosen them to come -- trying to find that loophole to kill Jacob, trying to find the right person who can help him do that. Jacob is calling them, and the other guy is then trying to get them on his side.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:08:31 AM »
The man in black set Richard up by telling him to tell Locke he had to die.

Can we just call this guy the devil?

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:10:58 AM »
The man in black set Richard up by telling him to tell Locke he had to die.

Can we just call this guy the devil?

I saw his referenced as Esau. But I'm cool with anything

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:12:43 AM »
so, I think the smoke monster is affiliated with Esau

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 01:17:34 AM »
so, I think the smoke monster is affiliated with Esau

Just playing devil's advocate here... What's affiliated with Jacob?

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 01:18:55 AM »
It certainly plays into that mythology, Jugdish, and works on many levels. This seems to be some sort of "testing ground" -- kinda like the devil was allowed to test Job? Perhaps the two men in the beginning -- Jacob and the man in black -- are playing an eternal (or at least, as old as time) game of testing men's souls, or each other.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 01:20:43 AM »
Hmmmm ... Jacob and Esau ... brothers struggling for their father's blessing...or in this case, the island's blessing? It certainly matches up with the two guys in the beginning. I think that the man in black was hairier too ... just like Esau.  :D

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »
Hmmmm ... Jacob and Esau ... brothers struggling for their father's blessing...or in this case, the island's blessing? It certainly matches up with the two guys in the beginning. I think that the man in black was hairier too ... just like Esau.  :D

I just read what I'm sure is a quick history of Jacob and Esau, and I'll be damned if that isn't a whole bunch of weird coincidences. There's even a mention of a Benjamin, and that is kind of odd. Esau wanting to kill Jacob so intently deffinitely struck a cord.

Offline lostieloo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
I really hope this isn't the end of Locke.  I miss him...the real him.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
Something just occurred to me. I was having trouble understanding why Locke would tell Richard to tell Locke that he had to die in order to come back to the island, because, why put your self through that for no real reason?? Then it occurred to me that the Locke that told Richard that was not the real Locke, and the reason he told Richard that was because he couldn't go around masquerading as Locke, if the real Locke was alive and well.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
Exactly!  Locke didn't tell Richard to tell Locke he had to die.  "Not" Locke told Richard to tell Locke that he had to die.  (head spinning yet?)

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 12:30:27 PM »
Yes! And I have to admit that this makes me happy because I was really having trouble with the pardox last week.  This totally explains it!  YAY!