Author Topic: You found your loophole  (Read 11284 times)

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
You found your loophole
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:11:25 AM »
What did this mean? I am thinking that since Jacob brought Locke back to life after his fall, the man in black could take him over once his dead body returned to the island. Or maybe he just needed someone else to kill him, like an ex-leader.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: You found your loophole
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:15:55 AM »
I took it to mean he couldn't kill Jacob directly himself, but he could get someone else to do it.  He manipulated Ben.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 12:19:05 AM »
I took it to mean he couldn't kill Jacob directly himself, but he could get someone else to do it.  He manipulated Ben.

exactly

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:25:28 AM »
I don't know WHY this is happening, but I'm convinced I know WHAT is happening.

The graying character sitting with Jacob in the beginning (far in the past, played by Titus Welliver of Deadwood fame) can somehow not only travel in time (like Jacob can) but also can make people think he is someone else, but only dead people.

He not only appeared as the dead Locke, but has been appearing as other dead people -- Christian, Charlie, Libby. His goal has been to find a way to kill Jacob all along (for what reason, we will find out in season 6), and he has been traveling around in time and taking on the appearance of dead people in order to try to get Jacob killed.

It does seem as if the loophole was to find someone willing to kill Jacob. So until now he had been appearing as the wrong dead person, and appearing to the wrong living people. He got closer by appearing to Ben as Alex, but that wasn't quite enough. As Alex, he told Ben to listen to Locke ... and then appeared to Ben as Locke too, in order to tell him to kill Jacob.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:36:45 AM by Austruck »

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:31:26 AM »
Maybe thats why he couldn't touch Locke as Christian, it might undo the weird voodoo Jacob gave him.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 12:33:32 AM »
Maybe thats why he couldn't touch Locke as Christian, it might undo the weird voodoo Jacob gave him.

damn, everyone's coming up with some great theories

that makes a lot of sense

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:35:27 AM »
it's the same rules that applied to widmore and ben.

simple literature 101 really, man in black represents the intricacies of death, and the man in white (Jacob in this case) represents the intricacies of "life, both good and bad"

refer back to their conversation in the opening minutes of the episode for a little more insight

Offline DizzyIzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:37:10 AM »

The graying character sitting with Jacob in the beginning (far in the past, played by Titus Welliver of Deadwood fame) can somehow not only travel in time (like Jacob can) but also can make people think he is someone else, but only dead people.

He not only appeared as the dead Locke, but has been appearing as other dead people -- Christian, Charlie, Libby. His goal has been to find a way to kill Jacob all along (for what reason, we will find out in season 6), and he has been traveling around in time and taking on the appearance of dead people in order to try to get Jacob killed.

It does seem as if the loophole was to find someone willing to kill Jacob. So until now he had been appearing as the wrong dead person, and appearing to the wrong dead people. He got closer by appearing to Ben as Alex, but that wasn't quite enough. As Alex, he told Ben to listen to Locke ... and then appeared to Ben as Locke too, in order to tell him to kill Jacob.

Why would Jacob tell Hurley that talking to dead people is a blessing?

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 12:42:06 AM »

It does seem as if the loophole was to find someone willing to kill Jacob. So until now he had been appearing as the wrong dead person, and appearing to the wrong dead people. He got closer by appearing to Ben as Alex, but that wasn't quite enough. As Alex, he told Ben to listen to Locke ... and then appeared to Ben as Locke too, in order to tell him to kill Jacob.

Perhaps he really is like Miles in a sense, he's a "gifted child"

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:44:18 AM »
Hey, give me time to work out the intricacies. It's been half an hour since I figured this out.  :)

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 12:44:36 AM »

He neede Hurley to get on the plane. That was just part of the convincing.

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »

He neede Hurley to get on the plane. That was just part of the convincing.

And convincing Hurley to get on the plane would contribute to the "conditions" needed to get the plane back to the island, along with the rest of the Ajira passengers (Ilana et. al)

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 01:32:22 AM »
I don't think Jacob was conning Hurley on the Plane I think it is at face value. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »
it's the same rules that applied to widmore and ben.

simple literature 101 really, man in black represents the intricacies of death, and the man in white (Jacob in this case) represents the intricacies of "life, both good and bad"

refer back to their conversation in the opening minutes of the episode for a little more insight

I was just thinking that maybe that scene from  The Shape of Things To Come with Ben and Charles in Charles bedroom, was actually Jacob and Esau speaking to each other through them.

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 01:38:29 AM »
Honestly, I have no idea what the hell is going on. Did Esau really have to go through such a long and elaborate plan to get Ben to kill Jacob? He could have bribed him.