Author Topic: Black Rock  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
Re: Black Rock
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »
Really like where this is going. Like a framework, the stories we've been told thus far seem to fit.

Griz, I think cycle fits it better too, though there seems to be a time loop in there concerning our Losties on their turn on this tilt-a-whirl, perchance that is one of the differences our Island Sage sees in this spin around....
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2009, 08:18:21 PM »
Based on what was actually said between them; yeah, I agree it is more like a cycle. It sounds as though they've been playing this "game" for a long time.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2009, 04:02:53 AM »
other than it was an old ship, I dont see any evidence it was the Blackrock...until I see otherwise I dont believe it is...my first question would be how did it get to the inner part of the island, there would still be some type of evidence of how they brought it there laying around, adn we saw nothing like that at the Blackrock...only other guess would be a large storm, but to leave it intact liek that is not too likely...just saying...

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2009, 08:24:16 AM »
other than it was an old ship, I dont see any evidence it was the Blackrock...until I see otherwise I dont believe it is...my first question would be how did it get to the inner part of the island, there would still be some type of evidence of how they brought it there laying around, adn we saw nothing like that at the Blackrock...only other guess would be a large storm, but to leave it intact liek that is not too likely...just saying...
I wondered that too. But if Jacob is some sort of diety, maybe he could have caused a tsunami that carried it to the inner part of the island. One possible explination anyway. I wonder if we'll ever find out.

Offline Zinzi

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
This could be like the millionth time through this loop too. Only this time, Jacob had a different part to add to his plan. The 815ers.

I don't think its a loop as in time loop. I think it is more of a cycle. They did it with the Egyptians, Romans?, Black rockers, DI, and 815ers. but it always ends up being the same. People fight destroy and corrupt.

I think that too.
Jacob's enemy thinks that humans come, fight, destroy, every time again. It always ends the same. They are mortals, they die and never get better. That's their destiny. They don't learn from the past, even if you give them the opportunity to redo things, they will always make the same mistakes and wrong choises, over and over again. Every new group will repeat this. Whatever happened happened, it cannot be changed, so why try to. The universe coursecorrects, if you prevent them from dying today, they will die tomorrow, but eventually they die and there is nothing you can do to change that.

Jacob thinks that it only ends once (every individual dies once), but everything for that point is progress. He thinks that people can learn, grow, redeem, change. In history, but also in a lifetime. They are variables, make choices, seek a reason, have free will and can change their destiny and create a better world if they just make the right choices.

He wants to prove that the other man is wrong, so he brought a new group of people to the island, the Black Rock people.
The other man is tired of Jacob who keeps trying to prove him wrong and bringing people to the island and just wants Jacob dead, but he cannot kill him. He needs a human to do that.

I completely agree that it's not a time loop, I think that the writers threw in the word loophole just to get us going on the time loop theories again!

I love your theory opgelost.  The only thing I would add is that POSSIBLY Jacob thinks that it only ends once because there is an eventual end to mankind?  This would tie into the Valenzetti equation which "predicts the exact number of years and months until humanity extinguishes itself."  Somehow in the last season we have to tie this all together and I would like to see it explained that the numbers are the VE and it all connecting up!  I've thought for some time that the only way to reconcile what The Others did in The Purge is that it has to do with Hanso/Dharma trying to alter the equation and save humanity.  I originally thought that maybe The Others knew (I thought through Jacob) that what Dharma was doing would make things worse.  NOW though, with the man in black to consider I think possibly it's him (the man in black) that has been controlling The Others and ordered The Purge because he didn't want the equation altered and he wants mankind to be wiped out!!  :o ???