Author Topic: What was Richard's response?  (Read 3940 times)

Offline KittenPoo

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Did anyone translate "What lies in the shadow of the statue?"
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 03:48:00 AM »
I don't speak Latin or Egyptian or whatever language that is.  Did anyone figure out the answer?

Offline ConstanceM529

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone translate "What lies in the shadow of the statue?"
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 03:50:05 AM »
I'm dying to know too!!!

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
According to Lostpedia Richard said "He who will protect/save us all" in Latin.  I'm curious what Jacob and Illana said to each other in the hospital.

Offline KittenPoo

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 04:00:50 AM »
Well, if he dies, can he really protect/save "us all?"

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 04:04:52 AM »
Yes he can, when Jack and the other Losties (Jacob's Esau-butt-kicking "dream team") zoom to the year 2007 after the hydrogen bomb explodes in 1977, and save Jacob!

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 06:13:04 AM »
According to Lostpedia Richard said "He who will protect/save us all" in Latin.  I'm curious what Jacob and Illana said to each other in the hospital.

My screen showed subtitles. Didn't yours?

Nurse:  How are you feeling?  Are you thirsty?  There's someone here to see you.  I explained your condition to him...   But he insisted on seeing you anyway.  You've had no visitors.  It will be good for you.
Jacob:  I'm sorry I couldn't make it sooner.
Ilana:  I'm very happy to see you.

It seems they know each other.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:37:40 AM by Sweet Old Lady »

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
Mine had it too SOL.

He who will protect/save us all.  Ben?  Taken literally, he definitely lies.

Offline paulv70

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
What was the answer to "What lies in the shadow of the statue?"
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 02:03:43 PM »
Richard blurted something out that sounded like spanish. Did anyone catch it?

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: What was the answer to "What lies in the shadow of the statue?"
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »
Latin, "he who will save us all"

Offline Axemanstan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Shadow of the Statue
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
When asked what lies in the shadow of the statue, Richard replied "Ille qui nos omnes servabit," Latin for "He who shall protect/save us all." At the end, the only thing I saw lying near the statue was Locke's body. DOes that mean Locke is the key to the riddle? Locke will save them all? Any thoughts?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: What was Richard's response?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »
When asked what lies in the shadow of the statue, Richard replied "Ille qui nos omnes servabit," Latin for "He who shall protect/save us all." At the end, the only thing I saw lying near the statue was Locke's body. DOes that mean Locke is the key to the riddle? Locke will save them all? Any thoughts?

Locke was my guess *nod*. They actually had his body laying on the ground...they didn't need to dump it out, they could have just opened the lid like they did for Lapidus (or however it's spelled lol). Did it for dramatic purposes of course, but maybe also to emphasize the "llies" part of the question lol.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 08:56:13 PM »
He who will protect/save us all.  Ben?  Taken literally, he definitely lies.
LOL.  I like the way you think!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 12:24:16 PM »
So who will be the one to "save us all"? Jacob obviously can't anymore. The Locke impersonator doesn't seem like such a good guy... who will save them all? Who will be in charge now?

The answer deffinitely implies Jacob, I don't see how this is really up for debate. I mean, Jacob lives (lived) in the base of the statue, and if we want to play the little word game/riddle, technically, he would always be in the shadow of the statue, because he's under it. As for it being Locke, well, right now, he's dead, so it can't be him. Plus, when the others came up with this riddle, LOCKE WASN'T THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 12:28:46 PM »
So who will be the one to "save us all"? Jacob obviously can't anymore. The Locke impersonator doesn't seem like such a good guy... who will save them all? Who will be in charge now?

The answer deffinitely implies Jacob, I don't see how this is really up for debate. I mean, Jacob lives (lived) in the base of the statue, and if we want to play the little word game/riddle, technically, he would always be in the shadow of the statue, because he's under it. As for it being Locke, well, right now, he's dead, so it can't be him. Plus, when the others came up with this riddle, LOCKE WASN'T THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good point. Jacob is the answer to the riddle so he will have to be the one to save them. I am guessing his work in getting Jack and Co the island and having them in 1977 blasting their way to the future will be how Jacob saves everyone.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »

Good point. Jacob is the answer to the riddle so he will have to be the one to save them. I am guessing his work in getting Jack and Co the island and having them in 1977 blasting their way to the future will be how Jacob saves everyone.

Possible, but the thing is, the answer to the riddle, is just that, the answer. The answer doesn't HAVE to be true, you know?? It's merely just an identifying phrase. The answer could have been "Purple Monkey Dishwasher". Now that Jacob is "dead" (being stabbed in the heart, and lit on fire is pretty definitive in my book, LOL) they aren't going to change the answer to the riddle.