Author Topic: So what is the statue?  (Read 13755 times)

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: So what is the statue?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »
The meaning of those Egyptian Gods is convoluted at best. Tawaret was a Goddess of fertility, but was also interpreted to represent evil in some cases. Sobek, too, was in some instances linked to fertility and creation (of the world, no less), as well as power and strength

Offline SawyerLove

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:14 PM »
Think about this: Greeks came up with Gods. Romans came along and copied their Gods, giving them new names. Who's to say something similar didn't happen with the inhabitants of the island and the Egypian gods.

Of course, if it IS an Egyptian god, then it's totally Sobek. It did not have a hippo body or face. It was so obviously a crocodile head. The headdress isn't exactly like Sobek, but, it could have been the first piece of the statue to fall.

Also, on some sites (not wiki) it says that Sobek was also the god of fertility. Of course, there are also a list of other things he's the god of.

Maybe he's the god of confusion over idnetifying gods.

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »
I'm not so much wondering who the statue is but more where did it go? That was a pretty big statue to just kind of disappear and have nothing left but a foot.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »
A foot with Jacob inside.

I'm hoping that the other guy with Jacob is not named Esau (too obvious and boring) but Jacob was born holding on to his twin brother Esau's heel:
http://www.christianmeaningofnames.com/jacob/
Could be nothing. But the meaning of Jacob is Heel-Grabber (or supplanter) so I like the imagery of him living under a foot...hehe

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »
I will have to dig this out but Tawaret was also representing a croc face, I know it was posted here by someone who did a great job and then it was on the front page of the forum about the Popular Mechanics saying it was Tawaret.

None the less it is NOT Anubis. 

http://lost.cubit.net/archives/2009/04/lost-channels-ancient-egyptian.php
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:32:01 PM by LostinLock »

Offline CameronLee

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »
It's Taweret...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taweret

Nah it's Sobek, according to Wiki scrool down to the trivia portion it says; "In the 5th season finale of Lost, a statue of Sobek is seen clearly on the island. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sobek

Haha you edited that yourself I bet!

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 09:08:37 PM »
Hell if I know, friend.

Excuse me, but G&R, this might be my favorite post ever in response to a question I've asked.  8)

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 09:30:54 PM »
The hat is more Tawaret than Sobek, the face is more Sobek than Tawaret. I still think it's Tawaret, since it would explain the fertility problems (the Black Rock crew or the army destroyed the statue and Jacob could not save the children). Ethan, you say, but for all we know he was conceived off-island...

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 08:17:41 AM »
The hat is more Tawaret than Sobek, the face is more Sobek than Tawaret. I still think it's Tawaret, since it would explain the fertility problems (the Black Rock crew or the army destroyed the statue and Jacob could not save the children). Ethan, you say, but for all we know he was conceived off-island...
We have no evidence of there being a fertility problem on the island before the incident. Ethan was born on island, Ellie is preggers and miles was conceived on island and possibly born off. (The DI with Chang and his wife were there for more then 3 years) Now we are up to July 1977 with no fertility problems, it may have been an incident induced problem.

As for the statue, it looks like a Velociraptor face to me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:19:46 AM by Writers_Strike »

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
Here is a pic I made to show the size of the statue. I personally think it is a little too large to be an acient Egyptian statue, but I can deal with it.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:15:13 AM by Writers_Strike »

Offline horseshoe_crab

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »
My vote is for Ammut.  I posted something similar on a Smokey-realted thread, but this makes perfect sense to me. 

ďThe goddess was depicted with the head of a crocodile, the forequarters of a lion, and the hindquarters of a hippopotamus.Ē Here's a link: http://www.touregypt.net/godsofegypt/ammut.htm. While Iíll concede that the lion torso might be a stretch, the rest fits well.  Especially the head, which is much more croc than hippo.  Apparently the Egyptians didnít actually think their gods looked like their representations.  That is, they didnít think there was actually a croc-headed, lion torso-ed, hippo-legged creature like this. 

The real kicker is what Ammut does.  It is the deity which consumes the souls which are judged not worthy to enter the afterlife.  So someone (Jacob / Esau / whoever) is judging the dead.  The good ones move on, but the bad ones are taken by Ammut and are doomed to wander for eternity.

I think we can all agree that whatever Smokey is, it seems to be doing just this.  Incidentally, I don't think Smokey is becoming or taking the shape of these people.  My money is on Loophole Locke/Esau.  But that's another discussion entirely!

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »
Ok...what if the statue was the vehicle for these "gods" to come from their home planet...and all that was left when they blasted off again was the foot portion; left for Jacob and Flocke to live in. Jk  ;D

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 10:17:23 AM »
YES!

I am not alone with my space god theory!

--high five--

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 10:19:21 AM »
Ok...what if the statue was the vehicle for these "gods" to come from their home planet...and all that was left when they blasted off again was the foot portion; left for Jacob and Flocke to live in. Jk  ;D
So Jacob is E.T. and needs to phone home?

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2009, 12:07:30 PM »
First, I don't get why "all-knowing" [Esau] didn't seem to know exactly where Jacob lives.  What gives with that?  Was that just his playing the part of Locke's not knowing?  He had no problem knowing where to take Ben for his encounter with Alex; why fake not knowing where to find Jacob?

------

Also, they teased us again with shots of Jacob's and [Esau]'s right foot -- neither one seemed to clearly only have 4 toes, so what's up with that?