Author Topic: did dharma know about the bomb ?  (Read 5357 times)

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
did dharma know about the bomb ?
« on: May 08, 2009, 06:46:20 AM »
its very suspicious  the dharma folks happened to build dharmaville right on top of the bomb , there are underground tunnels which connects  to hostile territory ..and ben's house has a secret passage which holds the smokey calling basin ...the question is who in dharma knew about this ( bomb and the secret passage )  and decided to build it anyway ..or is it more like some one in hostile was a spy and joined the dharma to make sure they built dharmaville and to conceal the passage way ...or is it just coincidence .. i'm confused

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: did dharma know about the bomb ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »
The sonic fence did nothing to stop the Others, even before they had Ben as a mole, so perhaps they did have someone who infiltrated the Initiative when it wasn't completely settled on the island, or perhaps they infiltrated Dharma from the outside, and had Ben's future home built there for a reason.

It would have to be someone high up who could keep the building of a secret passage in the walls, well, secret.

I still don't understand how the Others allowed the Dharma Initiative to settle there in the first place. It takes a while to build a fully functional village, a sonic fence, a submarine dock, and all the other stuff Dharma has there. And that's without counting the hatches, stations and the fact that they built a perimeter and borders.

I mean, how many times did the smoke monster go berserk at Dharma camp before they figured out a sonic fence would stop it. And why wouldn't it just crush whoever was building said fence? Which should have taken weeks!

I went off course here, and I apologize. But to answer you question, the Others had to know Dharma knew. And I don't recall the bomb being exactly above Dharmaville.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
That is a question that TPTB really need to address. Why was Dharma allowed to build on the island? Why did the Others put up with them? You would think that would be the cause for the 'war' Widmore was talking about. I really never understood this concept of the DI being allowed to build and stay.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:42:41 AM »
Either Charles or Ellie had allowed the Dharma folks to build.
Think back for a few here, in this episode Charles asks Ellie how the Dharma folk were causing issue with them (not exact words but you get my point)
Ellie knows about the Lantern she explains how it came about and how a brilliant man created it, so forth and so on.  

Could Ellie have been involved with someone off shore also.  She and Widmore appear to be prominent figures in the band of the others.

As we know from Ben's house there is access to the island, past maps had "tunnels" or what we had speculated to be roads, running across the island, and now it appears to be the tunnels.

So yes, there had to be a member of the Others who sanctioned the DI and allowed them to be there.
Dr. Chang also supports this by his comments and knowledge.

I think the upcoming episodes will explore that a bit more.  

If Smokey was aware of what is being done then it would have been subdued.

As for the bomb, well, did they know maybe, Ellie and the 1954 gang might have just never thought it was important to bring up.  Frankly it is interesting that there is more underground activity than on the surface.

I do not believe that is what Daniel meant by burying.  

Now the question is could the bomb have caused radiation poisoning?  

Oh and by the way, I am sticking with maybe they (others and or Dharma) knew but didn't think it was necessary to share, in general.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »
That is a question that TPTB really need to address. Why was Dharma allowed to build on the island? Why did the Others put up with them? You would think that would be the cause for the 'war' Widmore was talking about. I really never understood this concept of the DI being allowed to build and stay.

Well, then we would not have a story.  No LOST ;D

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:11:19 AM »
In the end that needs to make sense, though. That's not something that should be left up in the air because it does bring up a lot of good questions. They have to deal with it. And can smoke monster really be subdued?

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:38:48 PM »
The reason that the hostiles allowed them to build there was because they had a truce, and made a deal about who stays where and when. As far as how did they build the secret house on topo of the secret door?? Well, keep in mind that the door to get to the hole that lets you talk to smokey is IN a secret room, behind a secret door. So I think it's very, very possible that who ever built/designed the house was probably an other, and the Dharma resident living there (Horace right??) had no clue about the secret door. He may very well have known about the secret room, but the other door inside of it might have been unknown.

Did they know about the bomb?? I am going to say no in my opinion, because something tells me that a bunch of smart people like the D.I. would have done one of a few things if they knew the bomb was there. One, not lived on top of a hydrogen bomb, and set up camp somewhere else. Two, moved the Hydrogen bomb somewhere else. Just seems to make sense that they wouldn't knowingly stay there with it there.

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
That's the point, why was the truce in place? Why did they allow these strange people on their "sacred" island. There are too many questions there.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 03:22:37 PM »

Free food/supply drops?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »
That's the point, why was the truce in place? Why did they allow these strange people on their "sacred" island. There are too many questions there.

Why did they have the truce?? Probably the reason most other truces are set up. Peaceful co-habitation is better than a constant state of war. I mean think about it, the others only have so many people, but the D.I. can ship people in if they want. Essentially, they would have a never ending supply of people. And if you were faced with those facts, wouldn't you agree to a truce??

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »
Not when I can MOVE the bloody island, no.

Besides, the Dharma initiative doesn't seem more fearsome than the US freakin' Army.

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 05:34:10 PM »

Besides, the Dharma initiative doesn't seem more fearsome than the US freakin' Army.
Good point , there is something else going on here. Dharma had to know about the tunnels.......hell they built Ben's house over the doorway to smokies toilet!!!!

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »

touche  ;D

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 12:43:20 PM »

That is a good point, but I really don't think that moving the island is something that you just do. It seems like a measure of last resort, and a truce is, at the very least, the second to the last thing you try before you decide to move the island.

Offline mrose4243

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »
Random thoughts about the Truce:

Widmore seems like a prime candidate to make a deal with the Dharma Initiative to profit from them harnessing the power of the island.  Could he be the one responsible for the truce for his own agenda?  Being an Other he knows the island has special powers like healing and time travel.

I wonder, how did Widmore become an 'wealthy industrialist'?  Where did all his money come from? 

As we know, he funded Daniel's time travel research for 10 years, planted fake plane wreckage complete with bodies, sent a freighter full of people to get Ben and 'kill everyone on the island' - this guy wants the island and will do anything to get control of it, even back in 1977.