Author Topic: My Theory on Time in LOST  (Read 1592 times)

Offline CameronLee

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
My Theory on Time in LOST
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:47:14 PM »
Okay, so Dan Faraday's first theory was that you can't change the past because it already happened, then he went on to believe that maybe you can change the past.

Most people would think that if you did something like went back in time and killed your grandmother, it would lead you to never be born, therefore you don't exist to kill your grandmother, therefore your grandmother lives and gives birth to you, therefore you kill your grandmother etc. Therefore making an impossible paradox leading you to believe that time travel is most probably impossible.

BUT

What if you were born, went back in time, killed your grandmother, but still lived on...

Let me explain what I mean:

Think of it like using a blue pencil to draw a line on a really long piece of paper at a constant speed, then while you are drawing, your friend comes along with an eraser and starts erasing the line at the same constant speed, and with the other hand, draws a line with a red pencil at the same constant speed. Now you'd probably think that would mean the line is now red. No because you are still drawing the blue line, it is still going.

It is easier to understand (and explain) in terms of a dimension we understand.

Now think of that line as time.

Your grandmother gives birth to your mother, your mother gives birth to you, you go back in time, kill your grandmother, but the new red pencil (the chain of events following your grandmothers death, i.e. your mother not being born, you not being born) is going at the same speed so it doesn't catch up with the current events, therefore you carry on living after you kill your grandmother.

Now after writing this, I've realized there are still loads of holes in my theory in relation to Lost, but in relation to real life I don't see anything to prove this theory wrong, but I'm prepared to be enlightened.

If this confused you as much as it did me, I'm sorry.

Any feedback/debunking would be appreciated =]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:22:01 PM by CameronLee »

Offline kkevin666

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My Theory on Time in LOST
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »
Perhaps if you kill yourself you lose that timeline.
Your present self - having gone back in time then resumes a new timeline.
Your are perhaps only killing the point of conception not your physical self.

Ive never really understood why it would be a paradox to kill yourself anyway- you carry on living in the past and you cant meet yourself because your future self will not exist.

If you then travel to the future you simply have had no parents - the ultimate immaculate conception.
If no sperm is needed for an immaculate conception why not go one step further and do away with the woman.

Perhaps if you kill your mother and then flash forward to the future you simply appear out of nowhere.

Or not LOL.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Interesting not sure I want to really understand the theory of time.  I prefer to enjoy it while i am here.

Good job though,seriously

Offline donaldRK

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:51:20 AM »
Not such a bad theory, actually.  It would seem that Lost is clearly out of ordinarily conceived space-time.  Take a look at string theory - one of the attempts to understand physics more thoroughly- which conceptualizs the univers as vibrating loops resembling string in 10 or more dimensions, instead of the four dimensions of space and time we ordinarily approach.

Don

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:31:55 AM »
We have to laugh in a way cause all of this does not matter for Season 6 if what they are saying is true.