Author Topic: Amy not an Other?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Amy not an Other?
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »
I know it's not related to this episode, but in the last Lost official podcast D&C answered the "what's up with amy and her husband in hostile territory" question in the following way: they were just having a picnic and they accidentally stepped slightly over the line. So I guess it's no mystery here. They didn't confirm that she is not an other, but the response seems to indicate that it all was just a coincidence. I'm making this post since a lot of us were speculating on Amy's loyalties.
A question remains how come Ethan went with the others, but the answer may be a simple one: he didn't like his parents (happens) and he wanted to get away, apparently not caring that they will all die. Or maybe he's been smoke-washed.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Amy not an Other?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
Well, that is one more answer to my long list of questions about what is going on! Thanks! I had been wondering where Amy was during all of this. I guess I don't have to wonder any more. Yes, Ethan could have become an other in a variety of ways, as a runaway, as a brainwashed friend of ol Ben, after the incident perhaps..

Offline KittenPoo

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:36:04 PM »
How is that an answer???  You're right - we haven't seen her in a while!

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:18:41 PM »
it's an answer in that we know she is not an other and is DI

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:29:03 AM »
I don't trust her and I don't like her. I believe she is an Other who has infiltrated the DI. Ethan was born an Other.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:57:19 AM »
From the last official audio podcast (5/4/2009), transcribed by me:

Q: I'd like to know why Amy and Paul in the episode "LeFleur" happened to be having a picnic in the middle of hostile territory. What were they really doing? (from Alexandria, Egypt)

Damon: Wow, Alexandria, Egypt. Yet he didn't ask about the hieroglyphs. I think it's interesting that Paul was wearing an Ankh. We will be seeing an Ankh by the end of the season. No comment about the statue.
But I would say, what were Amy and Paul doing there, the answer is - they were just, in fact, having a picnic. They were just slightly over the border, with the hostiles [..] Amy and Paul were unwillingly over the line and the hostiles made them pay for it.

Carlton: Yeah, and unfortunately this really nice picnic spot happened to be just across the line, so they had this tough dilemma: do we go picnic in this beautiful spot and risk getting shot, or do we go picnic in some dreary place?

Damon: And they're like... "uh,  it's barely over the line, and we're just having a picnic, so who cares?". The other thing we wanted to do on a story level is, we needed to show the audience that these are the stakes when you're actually doing something in hostile territory, that's why the Dharma Initiative is doing it on a down note [The Swan], although that equipment is pretty noisy.

Although it's not a clear confirmation, it's pretty obvious where they were going with that scene. That's why I think that Amy being an other is not a road they will take. They would have hinted something. But the simple explanation was that the two lovebirds were having a picnic in a great spot, and they happened to be caught by the hostiles. No conspiracy here. And it's hard to assume that Amy would later become an other, since she hates them for killing her husband. I think she was being honest when she said that she fears for her child's safety and that Sayid should be shot.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »
Thanks nomteticus-  I still do not like Amy. 
Yes, the Ankh has a significance.

well, clearing up yet another speculations on our part ;D

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
Unwillingly over the line?? Hmm, maybe bait, to try and distract the others from the Swan?? Makes the most sense when you think about it. If they were to have made a big huge distraction, then the Others would be on guard looking for trouble, but something as simple as a picnic would cause all of them to focus on why they are having a picnic 20 feet over the line when 20 feet in the other direction is their territory, and just as nice.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »
Unwillingly over the line?? Hmm, maybe bait, to try and distract the others from the Swan?? Makes the most sense when you think about it. If they were to have made a big huge distraction, then the Others would be on guard looking for trouble, but something as simple as a picnic would cause all of them to focus on why they are having a picnic 20 feet over the line when 20 feet in the other direction is their territory, and just as nice.

Bob the Swan was not built yet, so not sure that makes sense unless I missed sarcasm ;)

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »

Bob the Swan was not built yet, so not sure that makes sense unless I missed sarcasm ;)

It wasn't finished, sure, but they were deffinitely working on it. A structure that large, underground, would take a while to build.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 08:24:36 PM »

Amy and Paul were unwillingly over the line[/b] and the hostiles made them pay for it.

Was it definitely "unwillingly" or "unwittingly"? There's a huge difference.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:30:59 PM »

Amy and Paul were unwillingly over the line[/b] and the hostiles made them pay for it.

yep the difference is double ls or ts my apostrophe is not working tonight and it is dark here I don't have a light on

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »

I'm going by what was posted up there.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 08:41:06 PM »
I heard "unwillingly". And I stongly believe that they won't follow Amy's storyline in the episodes to come.

Offline Floyd25

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »
Well first of all we haven't seen Amy in a while but it's only been what? 2 days or something since Sayid showed up? I'm still sticking with Amy being an other and Ethan is not Horace's baby.