Author Topic: Why I think John Locke is Jacob....  (Read 6332 times)

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Why I think John Locke is Jacob....
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 10:58:28 PM »
I'm at work, so probably just me...

Also, what did you mean by "It would explain the miraculous healing of his legs?" What would explain that?

Daniel's mind was healed by the island, and Rose's cancer was healed by the island as well.

Also, I'm still trying to understand one thing... After (dead/reincarnated) John has come back to the island with his whole new boatload of confidence and understanding of the island,  it seems that the island (or, at least, he told Ben and Richard Alpert) is literally telling him what to do, and we are under the impression that the island told John to go and kill Jacob. If Jacob were John in the future, why would the island tell John to kill himself?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 11:06:57 PM »
the picture is showing up for me, too.

As for Locke being Jacob and the island telling him to kill himself.... well, the island said before that he had to die. And Locke, knowing he had to die, told Richard to tell himself that. So it's not that crazy to me that he would kill himself again if the island told him to.

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »
Yeah, nothing is too crazy for me to fathon with this show. I'm still just trying to think of any possible reasons as to why the island would tell him to do that, if it were himself.

Any ideas? (IF Jacob is John in the future)

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »
We know that John has been told over and over that he is special...and if his purpose is to become Jacob, he would need his legs...anyone else who has been healed somehow has a purpose on the island.  That must mean that tptb aren't done with Rose (or Bernard, I would assume.)

As for John's comment about killing Jacob (I don't think John is aware of who Jacob is), I don't think his motive is to literally kill him.  Someone said in another topic that John may be trying to kill the idea of Jacob, and show his new found people that there really is nothing but clever mind tricks going on in the cabin.

John never said the island told him to kill Jacob, he said the island told him when he would come out of the jungle with a bullet in the leg.  

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 11:17:46 PM »
Oh, and I also think that Jacob is wearing a hooded ensemble in the picture...I do not think it is hair.

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 11:19:51 PM »
John never said the island told him to kill Jacob, he said the island told him when he would come out of the jungle with a bullet in the leg.  

True, he never actually said that, but for some reason (I'm sure this was the writers' objective) I am convinced by John's newfound confidence and knowledge of EXACTLY what to do, that we are to assume that John is being told what to do by the island.

Maybe that's not true, but that's just the sense that I get by the way his part is being played.

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 11:21:21 PM »
Oh, and I also think that Jacob is wearing a hooded ensemble in the picture...I do not think it is hair.

Haha, nice! Maybe...

Gosh, I just want it to be John Locke so badly. That would just blow my mind... The show would by 10x better if it turned out that way.

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 11:30:05 PM »
I don't know if John Locke is Jacob, Maybe.....

But I don't think it makes sense to compare the pictures, I mean wasn't it confirmed that is one of the Extra/stage hand that played Jacob in that scene. I am pretty sure it was not the actor that plays Locke (can't think of his name).

But I don't think that ruins the theory or anything, just can't tell anything from the 1 frame picture we got in that scene

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 11:32:08 PM »
Even so, they could have an extra who looks similar to John for that reason.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 11:34:33 PM »
The Jacob in the chair was played by Rob Kyker.  

The voice was Calton Cuse.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Rob_Kyker

Interesting theory though still if that's set aside.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »
HM- there aren't 2 Lockes on the Island right now.  Locke with a bullet in his leg "poofed" & is the same Locke that was killed by Ben & resurrected by the Island.

I don't think that Locke is going to literally kill Jacob.  I think his plan is to dispel (what he believes to be) the myth of Jacob.

Rob Kyker played Jacob in s3, because either the Jacob character hadn't yet been cast OR to keep Jacob's identity safe until closer to the end of the series.

While I don't think that Locke is Jacob, I do think that he has become/ could become/ is becoming a Jacob-like figure.

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 12:00:26 AM »
We know that people can exist in a time with their past selves...and just because Locke's past self poofed because of the time jump, that doesn't in any dispel the idea that he could be Jacob.

I also mentioned above that I don't think John's intention is to "physically" kill Jacob.

Since tptb used two different people in creating Jacob, it makes sense that it would be to disguise who Jacob is.  It's been said in interviews that tbtb already knew the basic outline of the story, the big events, and the ending when they went into it---so, since Jacob is an important piece of the LOST puzzle...I think it would be safe to assume that tptb had already decided on Jacob's true identity.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 12:06:35 AM »
whoohoo!  You're like Mango-defensive on this one! ;D
We know that people can exist in a time with their past selves...and just because Locke's past self poofed because of the time jump, that doesn't in any dispel the idea that he could be Jacob. I only pointed it out to help separate the facts from the speculations.

I also mentioned above that I don't think John's intention is to "physically" kill Jacob.
I know.  I was agreeing. :)

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:19 AM »
Being compared to Mango?  I'm humbled. lol ;) ;)

Offline LoniZeppelin

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 01:40:40 AM »
jacob=jack