Author Topic: Why I think John Locke is Jacob....  (Read 5706 times)

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Why I think John Locke is Jacob....
« on: May 07, 2009, 07:54:58 PM »
  On the way home from work today, my mind was wandering back to last night's episode.  I kept coming back to two different scenes--one being John walking out of the jungle with the bullet in his leg, and the other being his comment about killing Jacob.  This may be a bit confusing, but when I explained it to my husband, he got what I was trying to say.

This is my question: As far as we know, there are two John Locke's on the island right now: Past John with the bullet in his leg, and our present John as the new leader.  How do we know, though, that there are only the two?  How do we know that the John we see now is actually his 'present' self?

What if John with the bullet in his leg is the past, and so is the John we've been seeing as the new leader?  What if John's real 'present' self is the man in the cabin, what if John is Jacob?

From what little glimpse we had of Jacob so long ago, the still frame only ever looked like John Locke to me.  When John heard Jacob speak to him saying "Help Me..."..he was the only one to hear him.  Maybe Jacob/John was trying to communicate to his past self (and possibly could have done so through his thoughts)..

My thought is that the season might end with John seeing himself in the cabin, realizing who Jacob really is...(in a way that we won't see it, but it will be a shocked look on John's face...him knowing, but us left to speculate---at least until next season.)

So, to sum up---I think that our John now is a past version of himself, and that present John is Jacob.  It would explain the miraculous healing of his legs--since Jacob/the island can heal people. 

Please comment!!  Discuss!!

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Why I think John Locke is Jacob....
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:03:43 PM »
I tend to agree with this theory, of all the characters on the show, only two have gotten visions that gave them explicit information that they shouldn't have known, Desmond and Locke, and both of them were in the hatch when it blew.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:31:33 PM »
That does make sense, Hatchie. I know you've seen the screen shot of Jacob on other threads, and for some reason it kinda looked like John with hair.

But hasn't Jacob  been around for a long time, or we don't know that?  I have a faulty memory sometimes so I don't remember.

Offline KittenPoo

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:31:42 PM »
Wow!  I like the theory.  Don't know if I'm on board with it - but I think it's seriously interesting.  But, where does that leave Christian?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:52:16 PM »
I like this, Monkay, and I'd like to offer a supplemental theory: If 2007-Locke somehow gets flashed back into time, perhaps he will never age (cause, you know, he's deadish/resurrected).....so he'll "live" on the island forever and that's how he becomes Jacob.

Did you just say this? lol... now I can't remember...

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:53:26 PM »
That definitely could be how it happens, I like that.:)

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54:55 PM »
Do we know how long Jacob has been there though? So if Locke is really Jacob, did he flash back in time far enough?  I'm not making sense.  Please someone understand my question.  :-\

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »
Do we know how long Jacob has been there though? So if Locke is really Jacob, did he flash back in time far enough?  I'm not making sense.  Please someone understand my question.  :-\
um... I think that we don't know how long Jacob has been there. Since Locke mentioned him in 1954 and Richard seemed to know what he was talking about, I'm guessing Locke would have to flash back to at least 1954.  Not sure if this answers your question.? sorry hon.  :'(

Offline CameronLee

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
I like this, Monkay, and I'd like to offer a supplemental theory: If 2007-Locke somehow gets flashed back into time, perhaps he will never age (cause, you know, he's deadish/resurrected).....so he'll "live" on the island forever and that's how he becomes Jacob.

Did you just say this? lol... now I can't remember...

When Jacob said "Help Me" he sounded a lot older.

Although that's the only thing keeping me from agreeing with you, because Richard never ages, and we don't know the reason... maybe he died and came back like Locke, and the same thing is happening to both of them.

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 09:14:59 PM »
We all sound differently to ourselves...   ;)

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »
I always thought since that first glimpse we got of Jacob in the cabin (that split second shot of the old guy in the chair) that it looked exactly like John Locke's side profile of his face, and also, the exact same looking forehead. I'll try to dig up that photo in a sec, but it definitely looks like Locke.

I like your idea. I've been thinking about it for awhile too trying to come up with explanations of how John could possibly be Jacob.

Also, it brings a whole new meaning to the song: "John Jacob Jingle-heimer Schmidt... la la la!"

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 10:46:38 PM »

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »
The picture all the way to the right is the Jacob picture and the Locke picture blended together.

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »
Not sure if it's just me, but your picture isn't showing up.

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »
It's showing up on my computer.