Author Topic: So What Exactly IS the Plan for the Bomb?  (Read 3071 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: So What Exactly IS the Plan for the Bomb?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »
That was the point of the episode from last week called the variable. It is possible for the 815 survivors to change things, but they have to actually do it first, because it's their present.

I don't think they can. Dan had the desperate last ditch theory that they could - but my guess is he's wrong.

Partly because it's a literary mainstay - try to beat fate, but you can't.
Partly because I can't see how TPTB can 'undo' all of the facts about the world post 1977 that we've already seen on screen, without it, well, being lame.

It wouldn't undo anything, it would make something new.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 07:30:19 PM »
To me I don't think it would matter necessarily if Jack & Co. nuked the swan right before the drilling began, or sometime afterward, in the sense that it would still be before Desmond crashed the plane and the swan and the dark matter would still be destroyed.

Except of course that if they don't do it before the drilling starts, the energy gets released and they all get injured or killed and so lose their chance to detonate the bomb.

My other theory - there never is a release of electromagnetic energy caused by the drilling - the release of the energy is from the bomb going off as caused by Jack & co. - that's what its always been.

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »

Step 3. Realize you do not have the specialized equipment, firing mechanism, firing sequence or training-check

I guess this is where Sayid, jack-of-all-trades, comes in handy. To some extent.

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 02:23:45 PM »
im thinking that when jack and sayid try to blow up jughead, something goes wrong and the dharma folks seal the bomb in all the concrete we saw inside the swan. when des turns the key he finally explodes the bomb, releasing the pent up energy along with the blast of the bomb.
i could be totally wrong, but this is what im feeling here.

Offline james_sawyer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 07:08:25 PM »
Plan for the bomb:

Step 1. Find the bomb-check
Step 2. Read the journal on what to do next-check
Step 3. Realize you do not have the specialized equipment, firing mechanism, firing sequence or training-check

Give up and become the cause of the incident you were trying to prevent.

haha   :D hilarious  and i totally agree with u ..whatever happened will happen

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »
im thinking that when jack and sayid try to blow up jughead, something goes wrong and the dharma folks seal the bomb in all the concrete we saw inside the swan. when des turns the key he finally explodes the bomb, releasing the pent up energy along with the blast of the bomb.

I disagree, BUT, that is a particulary cool answer to why when Desmond turned the key that it was different than anything else we have seen so far.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 08:36:18 PM »
But wouldn't all the Dharma people and the Others die?
Some of them did leave via sub, but the rest of them would be exposed to nuclear holocaust!
Did Jack even think about that, or does he care only about the 815'ers?
I mean, sure, there were 324 passengers who would be saved, but that could maybe cause more dead or radiated people. From an utilitarian point of view, that doesn't work.
It's just a horrible plan. A better plan would have been to kill Radzinsky.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 01:08:58 AM »
Ever since Daniel's plan, I'm been theorizing that the fail-safe that gets designed into the Swan station is actually the hydrogen bomb and when Desmond turned the key, he was actually detonating the bomb and following through with Daniel's plan.  And maybe the bomb reacted with the electromagnetism in some sci-fi way that prevented it from nuking the entire island and leaving a cloud of deadly radiation and instead caused the site to implode.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 04:43:55 AM »
Ever since Daniel's plan, I'm been theorizing that the fail-safe that gets designed into the Swan station is actually the hydrogen bomb and when Desmond turned the key, he was actually detonating the bomb and following through with Daniel's plan.  And maybe the bomb reacted with the electromagnetism in some sci-fi way that prevented it from nuking the entire island and leaving a cloud of deadly radiation and instead caused the site to implode.

I could agree with this. The Electromagnetism was at it's strongest when Desmond turned the key....it was even stronger than when it brought down flight 815. So perhaps somehow the intense electromagnetism contained the nuke.....caused the nuke to turn into an implosion somehow?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »

It almost seems as if I've heard this somewhere before...

Ahhhh, that's it. LOL