Author Topic: What Is The True Nature of Richard and Ben's Relationship?  (Read 5723 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: What Is The True Nature of Richard and Ben's Relationship?
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 11:01:38 AM »
I have a theory that I posted in my thread, but I figured here would be more appropriate, I think Richard is going to attempt to kill Locke with Ben at his side, but at the last minute, Ben will double cross Richard and kill him to save Locke.

Ohhhh man, that would be shockingly awesome. I just hope they give more of Richard's history before that happens (if it does).

As noted previously Locke comes to the island with a cache of knives that had to do with his walk about.
This has been his "theme/thread" right along.  

Is he a hunter or farmer?  
as a child he choose the knife - he now leads them to kill Jacob.

The knife is significant.  If in fact Richard was seeking their next leader and or Jacob he would want someone who would abide by the rules/laws.  I am thinking Locke will end up advisor not a Jacob.

My two cents ;)

You know, I've always wondered ever since I saw Walkabout, why did Locke have a suit case full of knives for the Walkabout?? I mean I can understand bringing one or two hunting knives, maybe even a Swiss army knife as well, but he had like 23 knives. Was he planning on sharing?? Weird if you ask me.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
Richard was right that the knife was the wrong choise.
Now Locke wants to kill Jacob.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »
Foreshadowing all along.  It was the wrong choice from Richards perspective.  But it was John's correct choice, his destiny. 

BobX - I always remembered that and when I had viewed that scene with Richard it always struck me as odd.  Never verbalized on here, but we were chatting about that this past weekend.

I also find it odd that Richard does not recall these things he did in the past.  As if he did them but went on forgetting.  I would imagine at one point he would say to Locke, so do you remember me?  I also find it odd that John Locke does not recall him or the Mittlelos camp etc.

It could be the writers just brain burping or it will be pulled together later. 

The answers are right in front of our faces, I just know they are ;D

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »
Foreshadowing all along.  It was the wrong choice from Richards perspective.  But it was John's correct choice, his destiny. 

BobX - I always remembered that and when I had viewed that scene with Richard it always struck me as odd.  Never verbalized on here, but we were chatting about that this past weekend.

I also find it odd that Richard does not recall these things he did in the past.  As if he did them but went on forgetting.  I would imagine at one point he would say to Locke, so do you remember me?  I also find it odd that John Locke does not recall him or the Mittlelos camp etc.

Well, I think that Richard never asked him that stuff (in 2004) because he knew that the Locke he met all those times prior was actually jumping through time, so he wouldn't remember it...I think. LOL

Edit-Just to clarify, when I say "...he wouldn't remember it", by "he" I mean Locke.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:47:18 PM by BobBX542 »

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »

Well, I think that Richard never asked him that stuff (in 2004) because he knew that the Locke he met all those times prior was actually jumping through time, so he wouldn't remember it...I think. LOL
That makes sense. He tells him "the next time you see me I won't remember you."

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »

But that was also after Locke had started flashing through time, so it made more sense than if he just said that randomly.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »

But that was also after Locke had started flashing through time, so it made more sense than if he just said that randomly.
Yeah for sure. And back then we were meant to believe that Richard knew all this by himself somehow. Which he didn't.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »

Edit-Just to clarify, when I say "...he wouldn't remember it", by "he" I mean Locke.
yes, I understood.  But Richard remembered he had met him previously he says that to Jack