Author Topic: What Is The True Nature of Richard and Ben's Relationship?  (Read 5722 times)

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: What Is The True Nature of Richard and Ben's Relationship?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »
Smokey would still know his true intentions though. He won't get off that easily.

Intentions and actions are two different things though. If Ben manipulates Richard and the others into killing Locke, that was their choice. I can try my damndest to get person A to kill Person B, but ultimately, it's Person A's choice.
True. But if Ben is the major influence behind the decision, is he not still somehoe responsible?

He does hold some of the responsibility, but the bottomline (to me anyway) is that it would who ever actually decided to kill him, and did it.

Fair enough. I guess we'll have to see if he does still want John dead.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 12:47:15 PM »
Smokey would still know his true intentions though. He won't get off that easily.

Intentions and actions are two different things though. If Ben manipulates Richard and the others into killing Locke, that was their choice. I can try my damndest to get person A to kill Person B, but ultimately, it's Person A's choice.
True. But if Ben is the major influence behind the decision, is he not still somehoe responsible?

He does hold some of the responsibility, but the bottomline (to me anyway) is that it would who ever actually decided to kill him, and did it.

Fair enough. I guess we'll have to see if he does still want John dead.

Well smokey did say that it knew Ben was planning on killing him again. Maybe he lost that thought/desire after Smokey said it would come for him.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 02:08:57 PM »
Yeah... I know I would. That thing scares the heck outta me and I'm just watching a tv show! lol...

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »
Ben the master of manipulation and Richard is not far behind him.  He has survived for many years for reasons.  If Dick falls prey to Ben's manipulation it will be interesting but somehow I am not sure he will.

;D

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
Can I just say thank goodness I finally got on the site!  Was it down all day yesterday?  I could not, for the life of me, get the site to load so I had to find other places to get my Lost fix.  Let's just say, it was not my favorite experience.  Nobody knows what the heck is going on out there!

so glad to be back here where you all at least have a brain to think with!

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »
Just after Locke convinces the Others to follow him to see Jacob, the following dialog between Richard and Ben occurs:

"RICHARD: [To Ben, confidentially] I'm starting to think John Locke is gonna be trouble.

BEN: Why do you think I tried to kill him?"

(Thanks to Lostpedia for the transcript.)

I take this exchange to mean that Richard and Ben are together manipulating John into this leadership role for some unknown reason, and are now wondering if he will be more trouble than he is worth.  Perhaps this is a conclusion that Ben had already reached.

Ben, then, despite outward appearances, remains in the driver's seat, at least as master manipulator in chief.

Any thoughts on what is really going on from Richard and Ben's perspective?

My opinion on the subject is that the whole Jacob bit is being kept secret for a reason. Perhaps for the best. Ben understood it while he lead, and Alpert understands it completely. John doesn't simply want to see Jacob, that didn't seem to bother Alpert. John wanted EVERYONE to meet Jacob. That, to Alpert, was problematic at best.

But Ben is not on Richard's side. He tried to turn John against him real quick. This time John wasn't falling for it.

My thoughts exactly!  I rewatched the "test" ep the other day and thought it was interesting.  Maybe Locke passed, but Richard had his understanding wrong.  Kind of like the Jews not believing Jesus to be The Messiah because he was not the epitome of what a king should be.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
Yes, I think Richard was expecting him to choose the compass during the test. But he actually chose the "thing that already belonged to him"... his knife. He recieved the compass from Richard initially.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 04:24:39 PM »
If I remember, when I watched the "test" scene, it seemed like Richard thought Locke was going to choose the Book of Laws? That's what I always thought, anyway.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 04:37:22 PM »
If I remember, when I watched the "test" scene, it seemed like Richard thought Locke was going to choose the Book of Laws? That's what I always thought, anyway.

I got that feeling too. Expecially since the compass wasn't the same one if I remember correctly.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »
Right. But now that whole scene has me wondering.... how would Richard know what already belonged to Locke? Okay, the sand represents the island, yeah yeah I get it.... but technically the compass isn't Locke's (unless it's meant to be a more abstract representation of finding his way to the island, and not needing a compass after a few weeks being there, etc.). And I know that point's been discussed and pummeled. But what else would Richard know that John owns? How is Richard the expert here?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »
Right. But now that whole scene has me wondering.... how would Richard know what already belonged to Locke? Okay, the sand represents the island, yeah yeah I get it.... but technically the compass isn't Locke's (unless it's meant to be a more abstract representation of finding his way to the island, and not needing a compass after a few weeks being there, etc.). And I know that point's been discussed and pummeled. But what else would Richard know that John owns? How is Richard the expert here?

It is sort of a loaded question, unless the answer has nothing to do with the compass or the knife.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 07:42:39 PM »
I have a theory that I posted in my thread, but I figured here would be more appropriate, I think Richard is going to attempt to kill Locke with Ben at his side, but at the last minute, Ben will double cross Richard and kill him to save Locke.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 07:43:20 PM »
NOOOOO! You're tainting all the threads!!!!  lololol

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 06:37:45 AM »

Richard got the compass from Locke in 1954 and when he tests Locke he thinks the compass is Locke's.
Locke has to choose the compass.
Richard doesn't know that he gave that compass to Locke in the future.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 06:40:08 AM »
As noted previously Locke comes to the island with a cache of knives that had to do with his walk about.
This has been his "theme/thread" right along.  

Is he a hunter or farmer?  
as a child he choose the knife - he now leads them to kill Jacob.

The knife is significant.  If in fact Richard was seeking their next leader and or Jacob he would want someone who would abide by the rules/laws.  I am thinking Locke will end up advisor not a Jacob.

My two cents ;)