Author Topic: The tunnels  (Read 4586 times)

Offline ButtercupSaiyan

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The tunnels
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
Remember, the main cast is immune to paradoxes, time travel nosebleeds, and radioactivity.  ::)

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 06:09:59 PM »

what if it was a post purge addition?
That is what I was thinking - although it could be that the DI inner circle found some when  blasting.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
Remember, the main cast is immune to paradoxes, time travel nosebleeds, and radioactivity.  ::)

I don't know if there have been any real paradoxes yet, some of the main cast did indeed get time travel nosebleeds, and there hasn't been any radioactivity for any of them to be effected by (at least not at any length).

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
it appears that the tunnels were drawn on the blast door map.   and i vaguely remember kelvin talking about the tunnels as he was adding to the map.
here's a picture

http://www.lost4815162342.com/blastmap/

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »
Well, it certainly explains why Richard said "your fence can't keep us away" (approx. quote). They probably have another exit in the Dharma camp. I wonder why they needed Ben for the Purge. They could have done it without him.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 09:36:24 AM »
Well, it certainly explains why Richard said "your fence can't keep us away" (approx. quote). They probably have another exit in the Dharma camp. I wonder why they needed Ben for the Purge. They could have done it without him.

I don't think they needed him for the purge.  It was a test - similiar to Locke killing his father in order to be the leader.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 09:40:53 AM »
No, the test was killing baby Alex.
Killing his father was something he wanted to do.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »
it appears that the tunnels were drawn on the blast door map.   and i vaguely remember kelvin talking about the tunnels as he was adding to the map.
here's a picture

I was looking at the map yesterday.  I have to question if Radzinsky really created it.  There are several things that we now know he should have known ("alleged location of the flame", "possible location of zoological research facility").  Unless these things aren't built yet, and he gets stuck in the Swan by choice or by banishment soon, he would have to know about them.  The polar bear expirement was already mentioned by Dr. Chang.

Regarding the tunnels, it would be helpful to know where the barracks are in relation to the map.  I think there may be 2 tunnel systems - one by Dharma to connect the stations and one that have been around a while that Richard, Jack, Ellie and Sayid are in.  The blue tunnel sytsem in the map seems too structured to be made by the Others - much more like Dharma.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »

He didn't kill Alex, though, and I though that happened after the purge.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 11:59:23 AM »
The houses they built did not look like the type to have deep foundations.  Many cities around the world have been built on lost tunnels, with noone the wiser till recently.  (See Cities fo the Underworld on Discovery or history channel).

Great Show, even though the host gets alittle annoying. didn't they talk about how there was a whole other city underneath New York, or San Fransisco or something?? Just found it in the last few decades.

it appears that the tunnels were drawn on the blast door map.   and i vaguely remember kelvin talking about the tunnels as he was adding to the map.
here's a picture

Just went over the transcript, and there was no mention of tunnels by Kelvin. but when you look at the blast door map, you're right, it deffinitely looks like those lines are the tunnels. Some of them cross a river (or two??) so it seems to make sense that one of those are where Jack and all of them jumped in the water.

I was looking at the map yesterday.  I have to question if Radzinsky really created it.  There are several things that we now know he should have known ("alleged location of the flame", "possible location of zoological research facility").  Unless these things aren't built yet, and he gets stuck in the Swan by choice or by banishment soon, he would have to know about them.  The polar bear expirement was already mentioned by Dr. Chang.

Regarding the tunnels, it would be helpful to know where the barracks are in relation to the map.  I think there may be 2 tunnel systems - one by Dharma to connect the stations and one that have been around a while that Richard, Jack, Ellie and Sayid are in.  The blue tunnel sytsem in the map seems too structured to be made by the Others - much more like Dharma.

Radzinsky may have created it, but things like the unknown location of the flame may have been an adition by Kelvin. As far as the tunnels, it is very possible that they were dug by an ancient civilization. Look at how precise some pyramids and other temples are all across the globe from all through out time. The ancient Mayans have a temple (I forget where, and the name, sorry) that was built thousands of years ago, but to this day, twice a year, on the spring and fall equinox, the shadow of the temple lines up with the stairwell to make it look like the scales of a giant lizard. They even had the presence of mind to carve a big lizard head at the end of the stairs. So it is very possible.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 02:00:42 PM »

I'm only saying that it is not a test to make Ben kill his father, because he hated his father and it was easy for him to do.
A test should be something difficult to do and if the island ever tested him it was with Alex.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 02:07:23 PM »

I'm only saying that it is not a test to make Ben kill his father, because he hated his father and it was easy for him to do.
A test should be something difficult to do and if the island ever tested him it was with Alex.

I agree.  He killed his father becasue he wanted to. 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 03:29:56 PM »

I agree.  He killed his father becasue he wanted to. 

I think the real question should be if he would have killed him without the idea of the purge. That I think is what it comes down to. I don't think he would have.

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
i too was puzzeled by the writing on the map. if radz created it, and he was in the "circle of trust" why did he not know the location of the tempest, or the orchid? he was building it for petes sake! i now think the map was created by kelvin from what he learned from radz. since kelvin did not arrive on the island til after the first gulf war, that puts him on island right before or after the purge. maybe before radz pulled a kurt cobain he told kelvin a bunch of stuff about the d.i.'s other stations and kelvin made the map to try and find them.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 11:24:44 AM »
i too was puzzeled by the writing on the map. if radz created it, and he was in the "circle of trust" why did he not know the location of the tempest, or the orchid? he was building it for petes sake! i now think the map was created by kelvin from what he learned from radz. since kelvin did not arrive on the island til after the first gulf war, that puts him on island right before or after the purge. maybe before radz pulled a kurt cobain he told kelvin a bunch of stuff about the d.i.'s other stations and kelvin made the map to try and find them.

Now obviously Kelvin could have been lying, but he did say that Radzinsky had painted some of the map when he and Desmond were talking about it.