Author Topic: How about that awful CGI with the submarine?  (Read 4175 times)

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: How about that awful CGI with the submarine?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »
Not being from the States I just looked up Ann Arbor Michigan and where it is in the states...

Can someone explain to me how exactly a sub would get them there? Ann Arbor is seriously land locked...

I think the sub is a rouse, they're in it for 5-10 minutes and then get taken somewhere else and then flown somewhere...hence the reason for being "a sleep"...

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 04:49:44 PM »
they could be subbed into Portland, and then fly or whatever to Ann Arbour, I think the only reason they mention it, is because that is where University of Michigan (hisssss, Buckeye fan) is located, and that is where the DI began

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 04:50:25 PM »
That's what Sawyer was talking about on the sub, too. That they don't have to go to Ann Arbor, they'll just get away from the DI in whatever port the sub docks in. It is all very strange, though.

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
I think the sub is a rouse, they're in it for 5-10 minutes and then get taken somewhere else and then flown somewhere...hence the reason for being "a sleep"...

I am trying to figure out how Sawyer Kate and Juliet end up on the island (I assume they do and from the preview I think they do) and other like baby miles and his Mom, Charlotte etc, get back to the states (again like I assume they do).

The sub is a rouse would sure help make it work -  ;D Maybe the CGI was bad because it is really a fake ;D

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »
lol.... the people on the island saw the exact same crappy special effects that we did? awesome.

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »
The CGI was bad enough to make me comment out loud about it - and there's NO TALKING during Lost! But first prize would have to go to Ben's Smokey encounter from Dead Is Dead.

How much do you think it cost to create the CGI submarine for that scene? More than the cost of renting a real one for a day?

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 10:31:44 PM »
HAHAHA! Oh my gosh, I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this... Yeah, I laughed, and then I was extremely depressed by it. Worst scene so far in LOST history.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:31 PM »
Um... what about when they were going to air the episode with the polar bear, and the scene was them flinging the polar bear skin towards Sawyer? lol... that was pretty terrible too, but at least they fixed that one.

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 03:11:51 AM »
Ah yes, but the CGI polar bear that was trying to get Walt out of the tree was pretty cringe-worthy. 

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 03:29:47 AM »
It was SciFi movie of the week quality at best.

My brother said the exact same thing. I don't think they will ever rival the awesome effects of the pilot. It's not like the smoke monster is terribly convincing, specially when it first appeared. But smoke is always tough, that sub should have looked better. There was no detail and no texture to it, it's was bland.

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 09:39:46 AM »

I am trying to figure out how Sawyer Kate and Juliet end up on the island (I assume they do and from the preview I think they do) and other like baby miles and his Mom, Charlotte etc, get back to the states (again like I assume they do).

The sub is a rouse would sure help make it work -  ;D Maybe the CGI was bad because it is really a fake ;D

I can't believe they actually showed us those 3 back on the island in the preview, wouldn't it have been better to let us "think" they've left for one week? Then we start questioning the sub and where it goes.

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 06:43:17 PM »

I can't believe they actually showed us those 3 back on the island in the preview, wouldn't it have been better to let us "think" they've left for one week? Then we start questioning the sub and where it goes.

That's EXACTLY why many of us choose not to watch the previews!!!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 08:19:15 PM »
Was it CGI? I thought it was a little model. I loved the fact that it was so... hokey.

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 11:29:56 PM »
I actually noticed this scene too.  And it was sad to me as I've always thought the special effects, cinematography and overall production of this show was terrific.  This is the effect of the recession - even the money-making TV shows are forced to make budget cuts (remember they cancelled the Dharma ARG last Summer).  Oh well.

Offline CameronLee

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »
Bad CG is hardly ever because of budget cuts, it's because of lack of time. They rushed this.

But yer I noticed this too, usually when I watch Lost, I'm under the illusion that everything I see is real, this is the only scene I've saw that snapped me out of that.