Author Topic: How about that awful CGI with the submarine?  (Read 4418 times)

Offline dokein

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
How about that awful CGI with the submarine?
« on: May 07, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »
I don't think it's just because I've so many submarines in real life.  That was one of the most awful CGI shots I've seen this decade.  Maybe they were just contracted out that scene to a high school media lab to save the effects budget for the finale.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: How about that awful CGI with the submarine?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »
My son and I were thinking the same thing.  That was weak CGI.

Offline tasha-mc35

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
I thought the same thing when I saw it.  I would have rather not seen the exterior of the sub at all; just the ripples in the water to let me know they were on their way.

Offline cablecopulate

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »
It was SciFi movie of the week quality at best.

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:15:22 PM »
Agreed.  Suckiest scene in five seasons.  Would have been better without it.  I mean they made an island disappear, a plane crash, another emergency land, and a freighter explode - all pretty good.  But that 10 second shot was the worst.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:25:20 PM »
Yes, it wasnt the greatest. But who cares, really? Doesn't take away from the show.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:33:50 PM »
I don't think it's just because I've so many submarines in real life.  That was one of the most awful CGI shots I've seen this decade.  Maybe they were just contracted out that scene to a high school media lab to save the effects budget for the finale.
you clearly haven't seen Wolverine yet

when you do wait for the scene in the bathroom at the old peoples house, now that was bad cgi

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 12:44:01 PM »
you clearly haven't seen Wolverine yet

when you do wait for the scene in the bathroom at the old peoples house, now that was bad cgi
lol, yeah it really was.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »
Why didn't they just get footage of an actual sub submerging?  It did not bother me that much.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »
It was SciFi movie of the week quality at best.
lol I was going to say the exact same thing.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
I thought the freighter explosion was bad, but the scene was necessary.  This scene could have easily been left out which is why it was so much worse.  I'm thinking they developed the Lost video game for the original Nintendo and then stole it from there.  Didn't take away from the show really but it was so obviously bad you have to wonder why they left it in.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
I thought the freighter explosion was bad, but the scene was necessary.  This scene could have easily been left out which is why it was so much worse.  I'm thinking they developed the Lost video game for the original Nintendo and then stole it from there.  Didn't take away from the show really but it was so obviously bad you have to wonder why they left it in.
I think they left it in because of people like me, lol. I always had this nagging idea that maybe the sub didn't actually go anywhere, that it was used as a... I don't know... teleportation room or something. Just because we hadn't seen the sub actually move. Well, now I know the sub moves, so, yeah. Sorry to subject y'all to that terribly executed scene because of my continued doubt.  ::)

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 01:12:37 PM »
I think they left it in because of people like me, lol. I always had this nagging idea that maybe the sub didn't actually go anywhere, that it was used as a... I don't know... teleportation room or something. Just because we hadn't seen the sub actually move. Well, now I know the sub moves, so, yeah. Sorry to subject y'all to that terribly executed scene because of my continued doubt.  ::)
I was never convinced that it moved in 04, but that doesn't mean that it didn't work at some point in time.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 01:41:28 PM »

Yeah, why else would they drug the people first?

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »
I thought the freighter explosion was good actually, but yeah I thought the same thing as everyone else: the sub CGI was really cheap looking.  Like UPN/Star Trek: The Next Generation cheap.  Hopefully they replace it with something better when it comes to DVD/Blu-Ray.