Author Topic: Going to kill Jacob  (Read 8368 times)

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Going to kill Jacob
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 12:01:43 AM »
I like the hostage theory.  I still remember back in season 3? when they first go to the cabin it is ringed by ashes or some other substance.  It sure looked like a barrier - maybe one that Jacob cannot pass through.  Maybe death will give Jacob freedom.  My second guess is the death of the illusion of Jacob.  Both seem very plausible.  Ben has never seen Jacob, Locke has.  Ben is an impostor and a fraud - I think he is Richard's henchman.  It kind of supports my theory that Richard is the dark to Jacob's light and his full nature has not been exposed yet.  Still groping in the dark...

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 12:51:41 AM »
what if Christian is the dark to Jacob's light, or vice versa, I think Locke is following Christan's orders, and not Jacob's. Now we still don't know who the real bad and good guy is, so I'm just assuming that they are opposing each other.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 02:19:47 AM »
I don't think Locke is following Christian's orders, I think he's really following the Island now. Christian didn't tell him when he was going to get shot in the leg, at least not that we've seen.

I'm leaning toward the idea that to Kill Jacob is either 1. to free him or 2. to free the Others from following whomever says they know what Jacob wants.

Offline norville

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 02:22:21 AM »
Yeah, when Locke said he was going to kill Jacob, the first thought that popped into my head was "Nietzsche!" ("God is dead.") i.e. I also think Locke is on a mission to unmask The Real Jacob, not the Jacob who has been cloistered away and hidden behind the secrets of Ben and Richard for so long.  He is on a mission to end the old order of things, and restore the proper order of things.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 04:11:35 AM »
Locke keeps saying he's the leader now....and Jacob supposedly "tells" the previous "leaders" (Witmore, Ben, Richard) what to do. So it seems the previous "leaders" were not really leaders. So perhaps Locke is going to kill Jacob so he can become the real leader.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 04:19:15 AM »
The way I'm going to interpret it is that Locke is threatening the order of things and by "killing Jacob," it means he's going to open the curtain and show everyone the "truth" about Jacob and kill the notion that everyone takes orders from Jacob.  He may even be doing it to help Jacob, if in fact he is trapped by Richard and Ben.  I don't know.  Very confusing.  Unless he's going to have a jedi battle or something, I can't picture him literally killing Jacob.  I think he just means metaphorically.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 04:26:49 AM »
I appreciate your theory about the man behind the curtain.  The whole thing reminds me of the catholic church...You cannot speak to God (Jacob), you have to talk to the priest (Ben/Ricahard) an intercessor.  And then Locke makes it Protestant like.  Locke died (Jesus), he came back to life and he is introducing them to Jacob and killing the "dogma" or law that comes with the others.  IDK.  They always have biblical references right?

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 06:34:51 AM »
Locke wants to kill Jacob and Smokey wants Jacob dead too.
Smokey told Ben through Alex to follow Locke's words and orders.

I always thought of Jacob as a cruel being. When Ben was taken prisoner as
Henry Gale he told that Jacob was a brilliant man, but not a forgiving man and
that he would kill him if he told about him or if he didn't do what Jacob wanted.
He also told that Jacob summons people and you can't just go to find him.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 07:15:30 AM »
Yeah, when Locke said he was going to kill Jacob, the first thought that popped into my head was "Nietzsche!" ("God is dead.") i.e. I also think Locke is on a mission to unmask The Real Jacob, not the Jacob who has been cloistered away and hidden behind the secrets of Ben and Richard for so long.  He is on a mission to end the old order of things, and restore the proper order of things.

I thought the same thing!

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 07:51:21 AM »
OK here is what happened.

Locke meets up with the others in 1954 and talks to Richard about being from the future. He mentions to everyone that he was sent there by Jacob, a man the others never heard of. Richard entertains Locke by listening to his story and takes the watch. Locke then flashed away. Locke dissapearing in front of the others gave credit to this "Jacob" character he just mentioned. Thus Jacob was unintentionally created by Locke. Richard tells the story of Jacob and his ability to send a man through time and uses him to control the others for the next 50 years. He lets people who claim to be able to talk to Jacob lead the way. As we have seen lately Richard is not all knowing or mythical (except the not getting old thing). He and the others are being led by others that claim to talk to Jacob.

Ben and Richard will harm Locke in some way and tie him up and leave him in the cabin. Locke uses his new power of projecting his voice and image through time that he got during resurrection to talk to himself and say "help me".

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 07:56:50 AM »
I think what Locke is doing in 2008 and what Jack is doing in 1977
must be connected somehow.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 08:34:27 AM »
I think Richard knew about Jacob before Locke mentioned him in 1954.  It seemed to be the thing that got Richard's attention and made him listen to Locke.  I don't think Jacob started with Locke's statement that he was sent by him.

Also, I think we're leading up to Walt's dream.  Locke states he's going to kill Jacob.  Ben tells Richard.  Richard has an issue with this and informs the rest of the group that this can't happen.  This is where Walt's dream of John being surrounded by people intent on harming him is realized.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »
Didn't Locke say that in this eppy?

But I don't think Locke truly knows or maybe he wasn't saying exactly that.  Maybe what he is saying is that Ben & Richard for years have been telling the people of the island what Jacob supposedly wanted, but maybe that  is not what he really wanted.  We've seen the salt line.  Looks to me like someone is keeping him trapped.

Given what we've seen/heard in the past, I don't that we can just take what Locke said in this latest episode and just believe that Jacob doesn't exist.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 08:51:38 AM »
Oh I agree!  I just thought we were talking about what someone said about Locke -- that he was going to "kill the idea" of Jacob because he said he doesn't really believe that Jacob is real. 

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 09:25:52 AM »
I think Richard knew about Jacob before Locke mentioned him in 1954.  It seemed to be the thing that got Richard's attention and made him listen to Locke.  I don't think Jacob started with Locke's statement that he was sent by him.

Also, I think we're leading up to Walt's dream.  Locke states he's going to kill Jacob.  Ben tells Richard.  Richard has an issue with this and informs the rest of the group that this can't happen.  This is where Walt's dream of John being surrounded by people intent on harming him is realized.

I love it! I got the feeling when Richard and Ben didn't want to take him to see Jacob that Jacob was actually an older version of Locke himself. Wouldn't that be crrrrazy?