Author Topic: Jughead made them infertile.  (Read 4689 times)

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Jughead made them infertile.
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »
So, is it a safe theory that perhaps the reason the women on the island are infertile was because they were living on top of a cracked atomic bomb?  Radiation poisoning?  Thoughts?

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Jughead made them infertile.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »
I don't see how that would affect mothers new to the island though, like Sun.  Plus you'd think the Others would know about it and Ben/Richard would move them to a different location.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:58 PM »
The mothers living above it now can have kids.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:22 PM »
But they're not infertile.  They die in the second trimester.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:20:34 PM »
Seems as though it was the indigenous women who were having the problem and that may be because they were living on the Island during the incident....

But that doesn't explain Eloise getting preggers with Daniel.  :-\

Although one could argue/surmise that she left early enough in her pregnancy.

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:21:34 PM »
I think the problem is the statue. For some reason it is destroyed. Maybe Jack and Sayid blow it up by mistake.
Something must lie in the shadow of the statue, maybe infertility.

Offline jkbeaulieu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:54:37 PM »
All good points.  I guess the man of science side of me was jumping to conclusions.  The man of faith side of me should kick back in in a few minutes and I'll be willing to believe in statues that can cause infertility again.  Thanks for bringing me back.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 12:43:26 AM »
well it certainly doesn't look like they did anything to it that Daniel said to do with it, no lead no concrete.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 01:00:04 AM »
I don't see how that would affect mothers new to the island though, like Sun.  Plus you'd think the Others would know about it and Ben/Richard would move them to a different location.

honestly do we really know it would have effected Sun? sure because of how many births juliet has lost she medically would assume that Sun's baby would die. but we really dont know if Ji Yeon would have not made it if she was born on the island. and i dont think ben woudl know about it... but with richard... theres more to him than just the regular human ... if hes human. and not "god-like". so it wouldnt effect him... and it never really seemed to effect him morally cuz... he seems liek a man that doesnt have much... or too many...
Seems as though it was the indigenous women who were having the problem and that may be because they were living on the Island during the incident....

But that doesn't explain Eloise getting preggers with Daniel.  :-\

Although one could argue/surmise that she left early enough in her pregnancy.

i dont think it effected ellie cuz she didnt live right over the bomb... only the people in otherton were effected.
I think the problem is the statue. For some reason it is destroyed. Maybe Jack and Sayid blow it up by mistake.
Something must lie in the shadow of the statue, maybe infertility.
now i agree with this... LOST has had some mythilogical side to it... i do think this will play part as well... i mean theres a freekin smoke monster ha!

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 01:01:25 AM »
Well, that chamber or whatever it was was probably the best they could do in 1954 with their understanding of hydrogen bombs.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:08:42 AM »
Well, that chamber or whatever it was was probably the best they could do in 1954 with their understanding of hydrogen bombs.

that is also true.. back then how much did they really know?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 02:25:58 AM »
Juliet says in DOC that the island somehow makes men's sperm count increase... five-fold?... a lot, anyway. The island actually cured Jin's infertility. To add on to what Madam P said, conception isn't the problem. The problem occurs in the second trimester. So whatever it is that's causing all these pregnancy problems doesn't occur until the fetus is nearly halfway developed in the womb.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 03:56:43 AM »
Maybe they really are stuck in a time loop, and the island has decided to not let any new children be born until they're out of the time loop, because creating new life from within a time loop screws up stuff...or something lol. Aaron, however, is the lone exception. The island needed him to be born there within the loop, although I don't know why. But his birth has obviously been important, so it would fit.

Not that I necessarily believe any of that lol. But just throwing it out there.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »
It looked to me like they had no idea what to do with jughead,
how move it to the Swan?

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 08:10:04 AM »
The H-bomb gets taken to the remains of the statue where the leaking radiation reanimates the long dead Smokey that was contained inside.