Author Topic: I have a problem with the compass. But it's not what you think...  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Tonight when John asked Richard if he still had the compass, Richard took it from his pocket and said, "It's a little rusty, but it'll still find north."

This two statements shouldn't both be true.

By suggesting that the compass is rusty, this also suggests that the compass is made of a ferrous material.

And from wiki: Like any magnetic device, compasses are affected by nearby ferrous materials as well as by strong local electromagnetic forces. Compasses used for wilderness land navigation should never be used in close proximity to ferrous metal objects or electromagnetic fields.

So even if we dismiss the fact that electromagnetic anomalies of the island aren't interfering with the compass's ability to find north, the rusty casing of the compass would also cause interference, thereby not allowing the compass to "find north"

Maybe nit-picky, but what would we do without nits to pick?

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: I have a problem with the compass. But it's not what you think...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 03:31:15 AM »
well, your first point was addressed in season 1 by Sayid

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 07:59:10 AM »
I think the "it's a bit rusty" line was to describe to us that:

A: there was only 1 compass (Locke: "Do you still have the compass I gave you?")

B: it aged over the last 54 years.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »
Could mean the more metaphorical meaning of rusty. I used to play baseball when I was a kid. My pitching arm is a little rusty, but I can still throw a ball. I know it's a stretch, but it works.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:15 PM »
Never really gave that a second thought. 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »
Never really gave that a second thought. 

Normally, I wouldn't either, but that's because I don't want to think that the oh so detail oriented writers would make a mistake like this.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:13:51 PM »
Gee Bobx they screw up way to much!  So rusty compas was not a surprise.

Oh well we shall see

Offline CameronLee

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 11:33:35 AM »
Maybe the two factors count towards the fact that the compass is special, and can still point north despite the electromagnetism, and being made of ferrous metal. Maybe the compass points to north not because of magnetism, but because of something else. But I dunno.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »
Maybe the two factors count towards the fact that the compass is special, and can still point north despite the electromagnetism, and being made of ferrous metal. Maybe the compass points to north not because of magnetism, but because of something else. But I dunno.

I guess technically that makes sense. We here compass, and we assume magnets. We hear them say it points north, and once again we assume magnets. Then they throw this "rusty" comment at us, and it completely screws us all up. I guess it is possible that there is something else the compass is attracted to.