Author Topic: Was Daniel born on the Island?  (Read 3593 times)

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Was Daniel born on the Island?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 10:43:31 AM »
WE DON'T KNOW WHY THEIR NOSES WERE BLEEDING.

NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE WHY THEIR NOSES WERE BLEEDING.

Now, before you decide to get into an arguement over this, go back and watch the episode again where Daniel "explains" the nosebleeds. If you want to get all sorts of technical and quote Daniel as being the expert, and use his reasoning that the exposure to the island in conjunction with the time jump/flashes is what is causing the nose bleeds, then please make sure you watch that scene again, and again, and again, and again until you hear Daniel say that HE DOESN'T KNOW THE EXACT REASON WHY THEY ARE GETTING NOSEBLEEDS. If you're going to quote someone, you can't pick apart what they say just to fit your arguement. Sorry to go off on a rant about it, but it's just something that has been getting on my nerves since the day after the episode aired. Everyone wants to quote that as the reason, but it's not.

I completely agree. Daniel is/was brilliant, but that does not mean we can take everything he says at face value, especially when he openly admits that he himself is not entirely sure.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »

Now, before you decide to get into an arguement over this, go back and watch the episode again where Daniel "explains" the nosebleeds. If you want to get all sorts of technical and quote Daniel as being the expert, and use his reasoning that the exposure to the island in conjunction with the time jump/flashes is what is causing the nose bleeds, then please make sure you watch that scene again, and again, and again, and again until you hear Daniel say that HE DOESN'T KNOW THE EXACT REASON WHY THEY ARE GETTING NOSEBLEEDS. If you're going to quote someone, you can't pick apart what they say just to fit your arguement. Sorry to go off on a rant about it, but it's just something that has been getting on my nerves since the day after the episode aired. Everyone wants to quote that as the reason, but it's not.

The problem is, the order in which they got the nose bleeds fits that theory to a "T". So the writers throw that theory out for the audience to digest, then have the events unfold in a manner that backs up and validates the theory perfectly. Seems like a waste of time to put that theory into the mix if it's not even slightly true lol.

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 03:03:26 PM »

The problem is, the order in which they got the nose bleeds fits that theory to a "T". So the writers throw that theory out for the audience to digest, then have the events unfold in a manner that backs up and validates the theory perfectly. Seems like a waste of time to put that theory into the mix if it's not even slightly true lol.

Yeah, the writers would never want to mess with our heads too much, would they?

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 04:34:52 PM »

I completely agree. Daniel is/was brilliant, but that does not mean we can take everything he says at face value, especially when he openly admits that he himself is not entirely sure.

No, you're misunderstanding me. I am taking what he said to mean exactly what he said. EXACTLY. He doesn't know why, so when people say, "well Daniel said that this is why", I have to jump in there and say, "well he also said he doesn't know".

Just like with "Whatever happened, happened" and "the variable". The writers have Daniel tell us these things about the time travel, and we get so cuaght up on it, and then they have him throw another nugget at us about how what he said earlier is correct, but that it can be changed.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 09:13:20 PM »
I don't think he really believes it can be changed.  He just is engaging in wishful thinking because he wants Charlotte to live.  He still tells her about leaving the island, even though he earlier swore he wouldn't.  Also, did anyone notice that Charlotte said the same thing to Dan before she died as she said to him when she was a child on the swings?  Something aboutnot being allowed to have chocolate before dinner.

Offline xrayeck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »
They royally screwed up Charlotte's age, which TPTB blamed on the actress who plays Charlotte and then Gregg Nations. I think she is supposed to have been born in 1970. Daniel could be younger than her, and not born yet. But he can't be born too much later either.
Did they say how old he was in this episode? Or just that he was the youngest graduate from Oxford ever. Do we know what year that was?
I've been toying with the creepy notion that not only hasn't Faraday been born yet, but he hasn't been conceived yet. But, I think at the very least his Other mother is pregnant with him at the time she shoots him because that would explain the mystery of his name. Why was the son of Charles Widmore and Ellie Hawking named Daniel Faraday? Because that's what he told them his name was. The island conception and birth would help explain his supercharged brain and timelinewise, that would have him graduating as the youngest ever doctor at Oxford in 1994 or 1995 at the age of 17 or 18 as he was already an Oxford prof when he met Desmond there in 1996.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 09:42:29 AM »
I don't think he really believes it can be changed.  He just is engaging in wishful thinking because he wants Charlotte to live.  He still tells her about leaving the island, even though he earlier swore he wouldn't.  Also, did anyone notice that Charlotte said the same thing to Dan before she died as she said to him when she was a child on the swings?  Something aboutnot being allowed to have chocolate before dinner.

Yeah - perhaps that is the continuity they are maintaining after all the other flub ups ;D

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
They royally screwed up Charlotte's age, which TPTB blamed on the actress who plays Charlotte and then Gregg Nations. I think she is supposed to have been born in 1970. Daniel could be younger than her, and not born yet. But he can't be born too much later either.
Did they say how old he was in this episode? Or just that he was the youngest graduate from Oxford ever. Do we know what year that was?
I've been toying with the creepy notion that not only hasn't Faraday been born yet, but he hasn't been conceived yet. But, I think at the very least his Other mother is pregnant with him at the time she shoots him because that would explain the mystery of his name. Why was the son of Charles Widmore and Ellie Hawking named Daniel Faraday? Because that's what he told them his name was. The island conception and birth would help explain his supercharged brain and timelinewise, that would have him graduating as the youngest ever doctor at Oxford in 1994 or 1995 at the age of 17 or 18 as he was already an Oxford prof when he met Desmond there in 1996.

Very nice!
I don't know what's more dramatic. Eloise shooting her son while being pregnant with him or Eloise conceiving his son just so he can get shot 30 years later.
IMO, Daniel is not born yet in 1977.