Author Topic: There are no Variables  (Read 9762 times)

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
There are no Variables
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:30:53 AM »
Dan told Jack and Kate that they can change the past because they were Variables in the equation. He said they had free will to change things. His plan was to detonate Jughead to prevent the hatch from being built in the first place. Dan even pulled a Mcfly and brought his very own sports almanac from the future (the journal). He knew exactly when the incident happens and when Chang would be "right on time" at the Orchid. Yet he still gets shot by his own mother like always. He did what he was supposed to do, what hes always done.

What this episode shows us is that there are no variables, what ever happens already happened. Every "free will" decision they make leads to the hatch being built and the button being pressed.

With next weeks preview we know Jack has the journal and will try to finish what Dan started. Thinking they have free will they will continue down the path they are supposed to walk to ensure the button is built. I think that our losties will be the cause of the incident that releases the energy (1.21 gigawatts) to send them back to the future.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: There are no Variables
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:03:09 AM »
I hope you are right. We've been hit over the head with the notion that nothing anyone does can change the future so many times. I wouldn't be too happy if suddenly that changes.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:49:52 AM »
I think Dan is right still. He just never expected to be shot by Eloise. If he had known, he might have been able to change it. But Eloise is a firm believer in destiny and she figured she had to send him back to get shot by her. Now its up to the rest of the losties to affect something.

Offline rhythm

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:51:07 AM »
Maybe next time, she'll take the time to mention to Jack that Daniel might get shot... ::)

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
I could see that. In all their attempts to "change" things, they actually end up causing everything to happen that always happened... Your theory is, at the least, easier on my brain then most others!

Offline Fenster

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »
Agreed, nothing can be changed.  Jack will try and "lead" them in a futile attempt to fix things.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:17:15 AM »
Where does Locke fit into all of this?

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:18:25 AM »
Where does Locke fit into all of this?

Oh Lord, I'm not even going to take a stab at that one. I don't think we have nearly enough information. It's almost like two different stories going on and we don't know where/how they will merge together.

Offline Fenster

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
And I think it was Charlotte that caused Daniel to throw out his science and charge blindly ahead with an idea he knew was wrong.  Love made him act foolish and get shot.

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
It's Terminator 3 all over again...

Offline GeoJeremy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:53:11 AM »
I do not believe that we can use the episode "The Variable" as evidence that the characters in Lost are unable to change their future. The most that can be safely deduced, in my opinion, is that Eloise is actively manipulating others into fulfilling their pre-determined life's work.

Offline losttill0208

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 10:56:12 AM »
Whatever happened happened.. They will try to prevent the incident, but they will fail.. because they always failed..

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »
Still...if Locke can come back alive, and he and others can be healed...where is the constant in those instances?

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
While I respect everyone's opinion on the fact that they cannot and will not change anything. I have to respectfully disagree. Only on the pure assumption that the writers have something much better up their sleeve other than "this will just keep happening the same way over and over for the rest of eternity". Sorry, if thats the case then I will hate this show.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 11:46:55 AM »
While I respect everyone's opinion on the fact that they cannot and will not change anything. I have to respectfully disagree. Only on the pure assumption that the writers have something much better up their sleeve other than "this will just keep happening the same way over and over for the rest of eternity". Sorry, if thats the case then I will hate this show.

Me too, grizn0. Hate is a strong word...but I will be really disappointed!